Quantcast

Photo

NeoCodex's First Annual Biggest Loser Pre-Competition DISCUSSION THREAD

biggest loser weight loss

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
69 replies to this topic

Poll: Biggest Loser Options (24 member(s) have cast votes)

How long do you want this to run for?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Start Date for Competition (First Week will be SIGN-UPS ONLY)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

In addition to our NP donation, would you be interested in having a pool of $USD$

Vote

#1 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:15 PM

As a response to my recent status update and my life being shit I would like to host Neocodex's First Annual Biggest Loser Competition.

This thread is for the initial discussion of NeoCodex’s First Annual? Biggest Loser Competition.

This is what I would like discussion and feedback on

1.       There be a buy in to enter ($5.00 USD minimum example) to be transferred via paypal to me (or another trusted user. It will be held in the account until the end of the competition where it will be split between the top 3 winners (percentages TBD)

2.       There will be a buy in for NPS? Transferred to a middleman/trusted user to hold until the winners announced.

3.       You will be entering for fun, we have a generous donation of nps for the prize pool which will be divvied up between top 3 or 5 (depending on number of entrants) and then every else will get a participant prize (splitting the remaining pot)

4.       I will be creating a spreadsheet and giving each user a “User Number” and you will PM me your starting weight/measurements and I will post these publicly on the forum under your User Number (unless you specify you want your name) to maintain anonymity and/or people who are shy don’t have to feel worried about being judged.

5.       Measurements if you choose will be chest/waist/hips

6.       How long would you like the competition to run? 6 weeks? 12? TBD. Also what do you feel would be a good start date?

7.       The week will start on Monday and end on Sunday. You will Send me your stats each Sunday.

8.       This is a competition based on TRUST, please be honest as some of us really need help and motivation. We want to look good by Summer ;)

9.       Harassment and anything negative towards members competing in this competition will not be tolerated whatsoever. If you have nothing nice to say, please leave the thread.

10.     If this goes well maybe someone can make a shiny trophy for display?

11.     Would you be interested in doing this bi-annually instead of annually?

Once we have the actual competition thread running, we can post our daily routines, meals, supplements, give advice and encouragement towards others. You can post your daily gains and losses if you’d like, progress pictures, ect.

Thoughts? Additions? Please Discuss!

Tagging those who were interested via my status: @lozpoz @talbs @WillDearborn @Liesa @Napiform @Scrafty @Scot 

Edited by Rocket, 11 April 2014 - 09:30 AM.

#2 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:20 PM

You can't have 1/2 and 8 at the same time.

#3 Sunak0

Sunak0
  • 64 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:23 PM

Participants can take a photo of their measurements / weight on weighing scales with a piece of paper that has the date and their codex name as proof

I'd like to join but I can't do 1. *sad face*

#4 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

You can't have 1/2 and 8 at the same time.

Well giving incentive/prizes would hopefully encourage people to be honest and truthful. I know a lot of these competitions run online so it's near impossible for people to see the scale (unless you send me a picture of you standing on the scale in the middle of a room where you can't use anything to hold yourself up to make your weight look less.

I'm hoping the people seriously interested in this will want to be honest about bettering themselves.

As always this is oopen to discussion so of course certain things can be omitted and or added.

Participants can take a photo of their measurements / weight on weighing scales with a piece of paper that has the date and their codex name as proof

That's why I added the option for nps as well, and for people who want to join for fun but can't afford a buy in, you'd just opt out of any winnings.

#5 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:31 PM

Great idea, great planning & good rules set out in the OP.

Two prize pools, $$$ and NP, allow people to enter into one or both.

#6 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:33 PM

I would have done this after baby was born but trying to lose weight right now would be silly. :p

Good luck to the participants, though. You can do it!!

#7 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:34 PM

This might just inspire me to exercise. I've heard it's easier when you have people cheering you on. I"ll join for fun, so I opt out of prizes. 

#8 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:34 PM

I would have done this after baby was born but trying to lose weight right now would be silly. :p

Good luck to the participants, though. You can do it!!

That brings up #11 if this is successful, would people be interested in doing this Twice a year? 

#9 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

That brings up #11 if this is successful, would people be interested in doing this Twice a year? 

Probably. I'd do it later on. 

#10 Majesty

Majesty
  • 164 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:39 PM

i love this idea! 

what if you want to lose a certain amount though, not comparable to other members? would it be based off how quickly/what percent of your target you reach? example if i lost like 15 pounds i'd be too underweight but i wouldn't mind losing like 5 pounds as a healthy weight and maintaining that, but i also want to build muscle which could increase my weight? UNSURE, what would specific guidelines be?

#11 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:42 PM

i love this idea! 

what if you want to lose a certain amount though, not comparable to other members? would it be based off how quickly/what percent of your target you reach? example if i lost like 15 pounds i'd be too underweight but i wouldn't mind losing like 5 pounds as a healthy weight and maintaining that, but i also want to build muscle which could increase my weight? UNSURE, what would specific guidelines be?

That's a good question, I'd love to hear feedback from other users on this as well. Since I'll be keeping track of everyone's weight loss/inches lost, I'll be converting it to a percentage lost each week. (Also open for advice on other ways to calculate this)

If you are only interested in losing a small amount of weight, it might be beneficial to just join for fun (or you can contribute and it would be more motivation for those people who are trying to lose a lot of weight.

Me personally I need to lose a good chunk of weight :/ 

#12 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

It's important to include peoples' BMI while calculating everything too. We don't want to encourage people to lose an unhealthy amount of weight.

#13 Majesty

Majesty
  • 164 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:52 PM

That's a good question, I'd love to hear feedback from other users on this as well. Since I'll be keeping track of everyone's weight loss/inches lost, I'll be converting it to a percentage lost each week. (Also open for advice on other ways to calculate this)

If you are only interested in losing a small amount of weight, it might be beneficial to just join for fun (or you can contribute and it would be more motivation for those people who are trying to lose a lot of weight.

Me personally I need to lose a good chunk of weight :/

that might be a better idea. ^__^

or maybe have like journals of everyones progress and you, or whoever is in charge, could decide on the ones that lost the most or seemed to be working the hardest at whatever their goal was, then show the best journals publicly and have a vote for top 3 or something? don't know if that goes against the idea of biggest losers :p

#14 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:57 PM

It's important to include peoples' BMI while calculating everything too. We don't want to encourage people to lose an unhealthy amount of weight.

I feel like BMI is a tricky thing, because although mine says I'm obese, I don't look obese. But open to discussion!

Also here is the starting spreadsheet I've put together

Spoiler

that might be a better idea. ^__^

or maybe have like journals of everyones progress and you, or whoever is in charge, could decide on the ones that lost the most or seemed to be working the hardest at whatever their goal was, then show the best journals publicly and have a vote for top 3 or something? don't know if that goes against the idea of biggest losers :p

I would ideally like everyone to use the actual competition thread as a sort of journal entry, where you can post your own goals, progress (you can post your weight loss there but I'll also be keeping track outside the site as well).

Thoughts on having a small participant prize?

I, myself, as being the Host am going to opt out of winning, but I'll be contributing to both.

#15 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:02 PM

Yeah I think we should each weigh in with our name on a piece of paper beside the scale. I like the idea of a unique number assigned to each member to keep it anonymous. And of course I think any prizes should be awarded based on percentages versus pounds as obviously some have a lot more weight to lose than others (that may be outlined somewhere and I overlooked it). Also would we just do it for a month, or three, or six? There is a site that does something similar to this called DietBet. You have to lose 4% in 28 days and you win a prize if you do, so I was just wondering if it would be something similar to that. I am interested for sure and I will keep an eye here for the details.

As far as the start date, I think once we get a certain number of people to join, 10, 25, however many, and then we can shoot for 6,8,12, etc. weeks or however long.

Edited by talbs, 10 April 2014 - 02:04 PM.

#16 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:04 PM

I'll join. Sounds fun and I need to shed like 8 pounds anyway.

I want to include my measurements but I have a extremely effeminate bust/waist/hips measurements because of my bulky rib cage and pelvis. My hips don't lie and makes all the girls jelly.

#17 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:06 PM

Yeah I think we should each weigh in with our name on a piece of paper beside the scale. I like the idea of a unique number assigned to each member to keep it anonymous. And of course I think any prizes should be awarded based on percentages versus pounds as obviously some have a lot more weight to lose than others (that may be outlined somewhere and I overlooked it). Also would we just do it for a month, or three, or six? There is a site that does something similar to this called DietBet. You have to lose 4% in 28 days and you win a prize if you do, so I was just wondering if it would be something similar to that. I am interested for sure and I will keep an eye here for the details.

#6 How long would you like the competition to run? 6 weeks? 12? TBD. Also what do you feel would be a good start date?

Might have to make a poll and see what people would be interested in.

I'll join. Sounds fun and I need to shed like 8 pounds anyway.

I want to include my measurements but I have a extremely effeminate bust/waist/hips measurements because of my bulky rib cage and pelvis. My hips don't lie and makes all the girls jelly.

Lol, I'll be adding up total inches combined. (also if people think we should consider other body areas to measure we can do that as well.)

#18 Dita

Dita
  • 51 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:08 PM

I'll join for fun as well, considering I already lost most of my weight (like 35lb...) and need motivation to keep it off because I'm sliping back into bad comfort eating habits, so yeah.  Yay :)

#19 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:14 PM

Added Poll! 

Let me know if you feel other options should be voted on and I'll add it.

Edited by Rocket, 10 April 2014 - 02:14 PM.

#20 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

I voted for NP as the buy in, but the amount I don't care about. I would be willing to go up to whatever amount anyone else could agree upon.

#21 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:05 PM

I'll join for fun, I'm about to start attempting to lose weight anyway.

#22 Hummingway

Hummingway
  • 433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:49 PM

I think this isn't a very good idea. As we all know, losing weight at a rapid pace is an unhealthy way to get fit. You're losing water, muscle and essential fat at a rapid pace. It's best to consult your doctor for weight loss instead. Making a competition out of it blurs the reason for losing weight in the first place. I'm sure that if we were all cancerous patients, having a competition to see who can lose the biggest tumour, with participants having higher and higher amounts of chemotherapy would be frowned upon. I think its best not to make a competition out of a health subject.

#23 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:50 PM

I'd join for fun, too. Because there's no way I could win.

I think this isn't a very good idea. As we all know, losing weight at a rapid pace is an unhealthy way to get fit. You're losing water, muscle and essential fat at a rapid pace. It's best to consult your doctor for weight loss instead. Making a competition out of it blurs the reason for losing weight in the first place. I'm sure that if we were all cancerous patients, having a competition to see who can lose the biggest tumour, with participants having higher and higher amounts of chemotherapy would be frowned upon. I think its best not to make a competition out of a health subject.

Then don't play. The period of time this will run for is reasonable for anyone to make healthy changes and actually see positive results for whatever their goal is.

#24 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

Wow why is my name not pinging me

#25 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:31 PM

I see your opinion, but this has been done a thousand times successfully. We aren't promoting people to lose a bunch of weight as fast at they can. It's about changing your lifestyle, eating healthier, doing exercises and having a group of people motivate each other into getting in better shape.

Also in my opinion a little healthy competition never hurt anyone. 

Wow why is my name not pinging me

@Scot you are broken

nvm it worked

We have just received a very generous donation in nps. So at this point there will be NO BUY-IN, everyone will get a cut of the prize pool. It will be either top 3 or top 5 depending on entrants, and the rest will split the pot.

Thank you @Scot  :wub: 

Edited by Rocket, 10 April 2014 - 07:58 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: biggest loser, weight loss

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users