4 replies to this topic

#1 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:32 PM

Hey all.

Today I bring you the best game ever to debut on Atari, be ported to PC, and then be released to the open source community. I am referring, of course, to The Ur-Quan Masters, a space exploration and combat game constructed from the source of Star Control II.

The game centers around you, the flagship captain, and your efforts to stop the Ur-Quan from (variously) enslaving or destroying all sentient life.

The game play is deceptively simple. At first you should focus on mining out nearby star systems for all of their resources. Use these resources to kit out your flagship, or build a fleet of secondary ships.

From there, however, the game gets significantly more open ended. Do you pursue allies in your fight? Or will you make enemies of all your galactic neighbors? There are plot lines ranging from fetch quests to reuniting ancient offshoots of the same race, to repopulating a race of fast-breeding rodents, and plenty of enemies and trade partners along the way.

The open source version even has an online battle system (although it seems fairly primitive from my first glance) and free battle modes to become better acquainted with space battles.

The game is playable on all three major operating systems (Windows, OSX, and mainline linux distros) and has even been ported to several hand held systems.

A few images to whet your palate:
Spoiler

Link tiem:
Sourceforge project page - contains download links for major OS platforms.
Wiki - Comprehensive but spoiler prone
Full port list - Android apparently has a working playable port, iOS has one in the works.

So what are you waiting for? Nostalgia awaits!

#2 Charmender

Charmender
  • Awesome

• 4104 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:05 PM

Stupid slylandros and their probes, always messing me up.

#3 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:59 PM

Stupid slylandros and their probes, always messing me up.

Bro. Story of my life.

In the beginning, they're the best computer opponent to play against. If you can beat them, you can beat just about anyone. Don't bother trying with an earthling cruiser, they're too slow; use the flag ship. They also have the highest bounty (resources won) of any ship.

Later on the encounter rate spikes and they get annoying. The Melnorme traders explain this as a part of the story line if you pay them, but it won't help in the beginning anyway so I'll tell you. Load up on fuel (like 200+) and head to Beta Corvi (top left of the Starmap). Be sure to scan the Gas Giant. The probes won't be a problem after that.

#4 Charmender

Charmender
  • Awesome

• 4104 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:05 PM

Bro. Story of my life.

In the beginning, they're the best computer opponent to play against. If you can beat them, you can beat just about anyone. Don't bother trying with an earthling cruiser, they're too slow; use the flag ship. They also have the highest bounty (resources won) of any ship.

Later on the encounter rate spikes and they get annoying. The Melnorme traders explain this as a part of the story line if you pay them, but it won't help in the beginning anyway so I'll tell you. Load up on fuel and head to Beta Corvi (top left of the Starmap). Be sure to scan the Gas Giant. The probes won't be a problem after that.

Yeah i am aware :p, i have completed this game many times, but i also know everyone who has played it hates the probes, even now they still fuck me some times early game

For anyone reading this, go and download this game, it has occupied many many hours of my time, and its one of the best games i have played.

#5 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:17 PM

Oh word?

I agree this game way way ahead of it's time in terms of replay value. Lots of plot points to explore (and miss!) on subsequent replays.

Did I mention you can become a slave trader? Sell your crew to an alien race of ultra industrialist slavers for shiny objects.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vintage, old school, blast from the past, gaming, multi platform, badass, retro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users