eggs ham coloring spring

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#51 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:15 AM

Wait, seriously? But it's an egg decorating contest...

I apologize for complaining so much lately, but I'm getting tired of rules being changed after I've already put in time and effort. :/

If you complain enough they'll change it again. Go get 'em.

#52 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:26 AM

If you complain enough they'll change it again. Go get 'em.

I haven't submitted my entry yet, but if I had known I could work outside the lines, I most likely would have chosen both a different design and a different medium. I'm too close to being finished to start over now.

#53 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:06 AM

I haven't submitted my entry yet, but if I had known I could work outside the lines, I most likely would have chosen both a different design and a different medium. I'm too close to being finished to start over now.

But.. I don't think it was ever actually in the rules anyway :/ Was it? I don't remember seeing it there.

#54 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:15 AM

But.. I don't think it was ever actually in the rules anyway :/ Was it? I don't remember seeing it there.

I thought it was sort of implied that we were to color inside the egg, since there was an emphasis on using the template.

#55 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:18 AM

I thought it was sort of implied that we were to color inside the egg, since there was an emphasis on using the template.

Oh I don't know, I had no idea until Turnip asked and he said no.. I can understand it being frustrating if it had been stated in the rules then changed but from what I understood it had just been mentioned in this thread recently. 

#56 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:21 AM

Oh I don't know, I had no idea until Turnip asked and he said no.. I can understand it being frustrating if it had been stated in the rules then changed but from what I understood it had just been mentioned in this thread recently. 

Yeah, but he said no and then changed his mind, which seems to happen a lot after contests have already started.

#57 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:22 AM

Yeah, but he said no and then changed his mind, which seems to happen a lot after contests have already started.

Probably just not a question he had considered someone might ask and he answered too hastily :p

#58 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:26 AM

Probably just not a question he had considered someone might ask and he answered too hastily :p

I still think it puts people who may have already turned in their designs at a disadvantage, but whatever.

Are we only allowed one entry per person?

#59 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:27 AM

I still think it puts people who may have already turned in their designs at a disadvantage, but whatever.

Are we only allowed one entry per person?

Another question for Romy :p
I have no idea, this isn't my contest. lol

(If it makes you feel any better, I likely won't be voting for someone who designed outside the lines because I'm anal like that.)

#60 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:32 AM

Another question for Romy :p
I have no idea, this isn't my contest. lol

(If it makes you feel any better, I likely won't be voting for someone who designed outside the lines because I'm anal like that.)

Wasn't sure if you'd know, just wondering...not that my lazy ass is going to design a second egg anyway.

And that does make me feel slightly better :p

#61 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:44 AM

*decorates an actual egg, mails it to Ivysaur.*
I HOPE I WIN.

#62 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:02 AM

*decorates an actual egg, mails it to Ivysaur.*
I HOPE I WIN.

I'd hope it doesn't break in the mail.

#63 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:09 AM

Kate, I don't think it's not fair to blame the sudden rule change on Ivysaur considering you "talked it over" with him after he already made a call.

#64 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:11 AM

Kate, I don't think it's not fair to blame the sudden rule change on Ivysaur considering you "talked it over" with him after he already made a call.

He said "Do you think I should let them color outside the lines" in a completely unrelated PM and I said "I don't see why not if they aren't adjusting the original lineart or size in any way."

That was the extent of our "talking it out" he asked for my opinion and I gave it.

Edit: I'm also not blaming anyone for anything because I don't think the "rule change" (even though it was never a rule) is a bad thing. I just said I am not running the contest and gave reasons why he may have said no in the first place. :p

#65 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:18 AM

I don't see how coloring outside the lines would put people at a disadvantage. I won't vote for someone who colored outside the lines, like Kate has said. I'm going to guess some people may find it tacky to color outside, or they may find it doesn't really work with the template or idea the person who made it was going for. 

(I already submitted my entry, and I don't think this would put me at a disadvantage.)

#66 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:39 AM

He said "Do you think I should let them color outside the lines" in a completely unrelated PM and I said "I don't see why not if they aren't adjusting the original lineart or size in any way."

That was the extent of our "talking it out" he asked for my opinion and I gave it.

Edit: I'm also not blaming anyone for anything because I don't think the "rule change" (even though it was never a rule) is a bad thing. I just said I am not running the contest and gave reasons why he may have said no in the first place. :p

If I was in your position I probably would have suggested to Ivysaur to stick to what he had already told people, even if I did think people should have been able to color outside the lines. 

That's just my $.02, and what's done is done, but It just doesn't seem like good judgment to encourage someone hosting a contest to change the rules after already making a statement about how things should be done.

#67 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:41 AM

If I was in your position I probably would have suggested to Ivysaur to stick to what he had already told people, even if I did think people should have been able to color outside the lines. 

That's just my $.02, and what's done is done, but It just doesn't seem like good judgment to encourage someone hosting a contest to change the rules after already making a statement about how things should be done.

I wasn't going to lie. :p
Sorry not sorry. I still don't see an issue. It's not like it was in the rules on the first post and the entire exchange between him and I happened within minutes of Turnip asking him. *shrug*

Annnnnnnd again, there was no prompting or encouraging, like you seem to have in your head. He asked my opinion and I gave an honest one. I didn't tell him to change anything.

#68 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:49 AM

I wasn't going to lie. :p
Sorry not sorry. I still don't see an issue. It's not like it was in the rules on the first post and the entire exchange between him and I happened within minutes of Turnip asking him. *shrug*

I mean, you could have said "I don't see why not if they aren't adjusting the original lineart or size in any way, but you already established that they cannot and it was questionable enough in the first place for someone to have to ask about it so, maybe you shouldn't." 

Using good judgment as a moderator even if it betrays your personal opinion != lying

#69 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:52 AM

I mean, you could have said "I don't see why not if they aren't adjusting the original lineart or size in any way, but you already established that they cannot and it was questionable enough in the first place for someone to have to ask about it so, maybe you shouldn't." 

Using good judgment as a moderator even if it betrays your personal opinion != lying

I didn't really think people would fuss over it? I told Nikki I can understand her frustration. I was just giving him my opinion when he asked. 
(I had submitted an entry with a PNG which was rejected because it wasn't my original artwork, then he asked me.) 

I would have stayed out of it entirely if he hadn't asked and I'm sorry you feel so strongly about it, but I don't.

Exact conversation:

Him: Also, is the non-outside the lines thing a bit stifling?
Me: I'd let them go outside the lines as long as the whole image is the same size as the template and the egg lineart doesn't change in size.

- End of conversation -

Take from that what you will but I certainly wasn't trying to put anyone at a disadvantage or make up Romy's mind for him, all I am guilty of is answering a question. Ultimately any person posting in this thread could effect his decision to change it, that's his judgement call to make, not mine. He is the host, not me.

#70 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:01 AM

I didn't really think people would fuss over it? I told Nikki I can understand her frustration. I was just giving him my opinion when he asked. 
(I had submitted an entry with a PNG which was rejected because it wasn't my original artwork, then he asked me.) 

I would have stayed out of it entirely if he hadn't asked and I'm sorry you feel so strongly about it, but I don't.

Exact conversation:

Him: Also, is the non-outside the lines thing a bit stifling?
Me: I'd let them go outside the lines as long as the whole image is the same size as the template and the egg lineart doesn't change in size.

- End of conversation -

Take from that what you will but I certainly wasn't trying to put anyone at a disadvantage or make up Romy's mind for him, all I am guilty of is answering a question. Ultimately any person posting in this thread could affect his decision to change it, that's his judgement call to make, not mine. He is the host, not me.

You don't think that your status as a contest team member and moderator gives you influence over his decision? No one is saying you were trying to put anyone at a disadvantage, I just think you didn't fully consider the implications of your suggestion.

#71 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:03 AM

You don't think that your status as a contest team member and moderator gives you influence over his decision? No one is saying you were trying to put anyone at a disadvantage, I just think you didn't fully consider the implications of your suggestion.

But your view that it was a bad judgement call is entirely subjective. People in this thread have even said they wanted it, so to them, I'm sure they think Romy changing his mind was a good thing.. I just can't feel bad for something that I don't think is even a real issue. I don't know what you want me to say.. lol 

#72 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:12 AM

I don't see how coloring outside the lines would put people at a disadvantage.

You don't see how having more options can be an advantage?

#73 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:20 AM

You don't see how having more options can be an advantage?

Coloring outside the lines can be taken as tacky (at least I see it that way), and it may not even fit with the rest of the design, basically making coloring outside the lines pretty useless. Just my opinion though, you're welcome to see it another way. 

Edited by Satsuki, 20 April 2014 - 10:21 AM.

#74 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:39 AM

Wait, seriously? But it's an egg decorating contest...

I apologize for complaining so much lately, but I'm getting tired of rules being changed after I've already put in time and effort. :/

No worries Trich. I understand your frustration but...as with a few other contests we've been hosting lately, we're making the rules up as we go.

It's really difficult to foresee every little detail that may come up and I'm sorry to hear that this particular change my put people at a disadvantage. That being said, it was never explicitly stated in the rules and everyone is using the same image as a base (that doesn't really have room for much else.)

And @Bone
You submitted a BLANK entry to me. I don't understand why you're complaining if you weren't taking this contest seriously to begin with.

Edited by Bulbasaur, 20 April 2014 - 10:39 AM.

#75 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

Coloring outside the lines can be taken as tacky (at least I see it that way), and it may not even fit with the rest of the design, basically making coloring outside the lines pretty useless. Just my opinion though, you're welcome to see it another way.

Your opinion on how it looks, or mine, are completely irrelevant. Having more options gives you an advantage.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eggs, ham, coloring, spring

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users