8 replies to this topic

#1 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:22 AM

Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap

Saving money is always nice and when you're stuck pinching pennies finding better and cheaper ways to do things that you have to do no matter what can really make a difference. For our household the difference is spending around $0.99-$1.04 per month instead of $56.99+ per month buying just the cheap knockoff brands. If we were to spend the money on an even more expensive brand of laundry soap our expenses would only increase from there. The recipe is simple and there are plenty of pictures to help you along the way.

Ingredients:
  • Borax
  • Washing Soda
  • Laundry Bar Soap (Fels Naptha)

]IMAG0906.jpg

Other things you'll need:

• Cheese Grater
  • Measuring Cup (4 Cup or larger and a 1/3 Cup)
  • 5 Gallon Bucket
  • Pot
  • Cooking Spoon
  • Mixing Bowls (Optional)

IMAG0907.jpg

Start by finely grating the Bar of Laundry Soap. Remember you only need 1/3 Bar of Laundry Bar Soap.

IMAG0908.jpg

I mark mine after measuring 1/3.
IMAG0909.jpg

IMAG0910.jpg

Next put the grated soap into a pot with 6 cups of water

IMAG0911.jpg

IMAG0912.jpg

Heat until the soap melts evenly. It's pretty easy to tell when the soap is melted.

IMAG0918.jpg

IMAG0919.jpg

IMAG0920.jpg

Next you'll add in the 2/3 Cup of Borax and the 2/3 Cup of Washing Soda.

IMAG0914.jpg

Stir both of these into the soap until it is all evenly dissolved.As soon as the mixture is dissolved you'll need to pour it into your 5 gallon bucket. Add 4 Cups of VERY Hot Water. You'll know if your mixture is fully dissolved based on whether or not the mixture came out consistent or not when you pour it out of the pot. If there is any Borax or Washing Soda left then you didn't mix it good enough. It's not the end of the world because you can stir it more but let it be a lesson for the next time you make a batch of soap.

IMAG0916.jpg

Stir the mixture evenly. This is your last chance to fully dissolve your mixture before letting it set.

IMAG0922.jpg

Next you will add approximately 5 1/2 Quarts, or 22 Cups, of HOT Water to your five gallon bucket. Stir well for at least 2 minutes.

IMAG0923.jpg

IMAG0925.jpg

Finally place the lid on your 5 gallon bucket and let set for approximately 24 hours. At this time upon stirring the laundry soap it should have the consistency of that of store bought laundry soap.

Edited by Yung, 21 April 2014 - 01:25 AM.

#2 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:27 AM

We have excellent results with just the grated fels-naptha, borax and soda.

#3 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:11 AM

I've always wanted to try making my own laundry soap. If it really saves as much as you say, I think it's totally worth trying o.o
Thanks for this guide!

#4 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:29 AM

We have excellent results with just the grated fels-naptha, borax and soda.

With no water? Do you have an HE machine?

#5 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:07 AM

With no water? Do you have an HE machine?

I don't know what an HE machine means :p We have a washer that adds water and swirls the clothes around... like I thought all washers did :p

#6 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:34 AM

What does it smell like?

#7 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:49 AM

I don't know what an HE machine means :p We have a washer that adds water and swirls the clothes around... like I thought all washers did :p

high efficiency 

#8 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:57 AM

Oh... well, in that case, not as far as I'm aware. It's an old POS hand-me-down :p

#9 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:24 AM

What does it smell like?

It just smells like clean. Fels Naptha is really strong smelling by itself, but it mellows out when you mix it all together and add water.

Oh... well, in that case, not as far as I'm aware. It's an old POS hand-me-down :p

Yeah, that would be my only concern. I wouldn't want non-pre-dissolved granules messing anything up.
(idk i'm not a washing machine expert. I just do what the internet tells me)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diy, improve your lifestyle, saving money, money

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users