Photo

Am I a "bad" person? Are you?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Doe

Doe
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:02 PM

So I'm told pretty often by those closest to me I'm a terrible person, I exhibit 5/7 of the "capital vices", or seven deadly sins on a regular basis.

• Lust - Don't we all?
  • Gluttony - Fuck being fat, I like being sexy.
  • Greed - It's in all of us, right?
  • Sloth - I like a high ROI.
  • Wrath - Most people in my life by now know not to fuck with me or I'll fuck back 10x harder, I consider it protecting myself, and mitigating damages.
  • Envy - I'm not about to envy someone when I could use that energy to improve myself and situation to be that person I would otherwise envy.
  • Pride - I'm proud of myself, who I am, my accomplishments and all I've survived.

. I lie, cheat, steal, manipulate, am a rather violent person if pushed, (though I do exercise restraint, and stop myself before doing something I know I will regret). Nice guys finish last, right? I'd rather be a wolf than a sheep any day of the week.

Yet my "excuses"/"reasoning" are always the same. I believe morality is relative, and I am a product of my own environment. I grew up around all of these things, and frankly I do not wish to change, at least I don't think I do.

Though I do quote biblical bullshit here I am an atheist.

So consider yourself and who you are, myself and who I am, and whether you consider yourself, and how you compare next to me, to be a good person.

Edited by Doe, 22 April 2014 - 10:04 PM.

#2 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:08 PM

Yes, you're awful. According to your criteria, I'm also a bad person. What is there to debate?

#3 Doe

Doe
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:09 PM

Yes, you're awful. According to your criteria, I'm also a bad person. What is there to debate?

Nothing in this case, apparently.

Do you believe you're a bad person? Have anything you wish to add?

Edited by Doe, 22 April 2014 - 10:10 PM.

#4 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:11 AM

As an atheist, why are you judging against a Christian interpretation of ethics? A grossly simplified one at that...

Anyway I'm an alright person. I could be better but so could almost everyone.

#5 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:19 AM

Actions can be bad, or good, depending on their effects and their objects. Generally they are somewhere in the middle.
People, on the other hand, are always somewhere in the middle.

#6 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:28 AM

Nah man I'm no homunculus.

#7 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:35 AM

• Lust - Hooooly shit that Big Mac looks tasty, I'd eat the hell out of that Big Mac.
  • Gluttony - Super size me motherfuckers.
  • Greed - Super size me motherfuckers.
  • Sloth - *yawn* Is it time for a Big Mac yet?
  • Wrath - If I don't get a fucking big mac meal in the next 10 minutes I will go fifty shades of pregnant on your ass.
  • Envy - Why does this bitch get to watch her kids play in the ball pit while she eats her Big Mac and I'm sitting here waiting, that's not fair.
  • Pride - Success! The Big Mac is mine! I am the champion of demanding Big Macs!

(The above is me determining that by your standards, I am a really shitty human being when I am hungry.)

#8 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:10 AM

• Lust - Hooooly shit that Big Mac looks tasty, I'd eat the hell out of that Big Mac.
  • Gluttony - Super size me motherfuckers.
  • Greed - Super size me motherfuckers.
  • Sloth - *yawn* Is it time for a Big Mac yet?
  • Wrath - If I don't get a fucking big mac meal in the next 10 minutes I will go fifty shades of pregnant on your ass.
  • Envy - Why does this bitch get to watch her kids play in the ball pit while she eats her Big Mac and I'm sitting here waiting, that's not fair.
  • Pride - Success! The Big Mac is mine! I am the champion of demanding Big Macs!

(The above is me determining that by your standards, I am a really shitty human being when I am hungry.)

I'm not a bad person, just an American. 

@Scot

#9 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:11 AM

I'm not a bad person, just an American.

I don't get to use that excuse :(

#10 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:12 AM

I don't like big macs. Chicken nuggets ftw

#11 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:16 AM

I don't get to use that excuse :(

Better stick with the double cheeseburger then.

#12 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:19 AM

Better stick with the double cheeseburger then.

Hey.. if we has it, I eats it.

I'm a greedy glutton.

#13 Mathilda

Mathilda
  • 199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:24 AM

Unless you are actively mean/cruel to others, I don't think your bad. Sins is not a good way to judge a person, in my opinion. I consider myself a prety nice person, but holly shit do I fail that test.

• Lust - Just for this one I would automatically be classed as an horrible, terrible, no good person. Seriously, I need much more alcool in my body to start talking about that.
  • Gluttony - Show me Ice cream or chocolat and then stand back for your safety.
  • Greed - You should see what I have done for money man.... This one is also a send right to hell, don't pass go, don't collect 200$.
  • Sloth - The only reasons I feed my cat is because it will bite me if I don't. I'm so lazy, you have no idea.
  • Wrath - ... Ok that's probably the only one that doesn't really apply to me. I'm a pretty calm lady.
  • Envy - You should see me with my money-making "friends"/family. I'm horrible. Those people just flash their money away when most of us try to make end meet... URG I need to calm down.
  • Pride - Pride is not a vice. Pride is knowing how much you are worth. I'm a sexy badass son of a bitch, I know how talented/awesome I am, and if that makes me an horrible person, so be it. 

So yeah. You are NOT an horrible person or whatever. You are a normal human being. Congratulation!

#14 DasBear

DasBear
  • 133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:53 AM

• Lust - mmmm, Drows.
  • Gluttony - Delicious kumamoto oysters and A 4lb lobster dipped in european churned butter....sweet christ yes.
  • Greed - Hahah, I just got the last PS4! Suck it and cry.
  • Sloth - Comfy couch, is comfy. I'll just take another 2 hour nap.
  • Wrath - Don't touch my child you filthy plauge rat!
  • Envy - Look at those single people...enjoying free time, able to go out on a whims notice...bastards.
  • Pride - You call that a quiche, get on my culinary level peasant.

....After reading what I just typed, I feel a tinge of shame. v_v

#15 Speedracer

Speedracer
  • The Triforce of Herp

• 771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:26 AM

• Lust - Absolutely 
  • Gluttony - On occasion mainly around the holidays 
  • Greed - I suppose, I'm often described as frugal which I think is the nice way of saving stingy 
  • Sloth - Not by the given definition 
  • Wrath - Hell hath no fury
  • Envy - Negatory ghost rider I dislike people too much to be envious
  • Pride - eb10dd2d39280693ec821125dca36438.jpg

#16 Doe

Doe
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:23 AM

Unless you are actively mean/cruel to others, I don't think your bad. Sins is not a good way to judge a person, in my opinion. I consider myself a prety nice person, but holly shit do I fail that test.

• Lust - Just for this one I would automatically be classed as an horrible, terrible, no good person. Seriously, I need much more alcool in my body to start talking about that.
  • Gluttony - Show me Ice cream or chocolat and then stand back for your safety.
  • Greed - You should see what I have done for money man.... This one is also a send right to hell, don't pass go, don't collect 200$.
  • Sloth - The only reasons I feed my cat is because it will bite me if I don't. I'm so lazy, you have no idea.
  • Wrath - ... Ok that's probably the only one that doesn't really apply to me. I'm a pretty calm lady.
  • Envy - You should see me with my money-making "friends"/family. I'm horrible. Those people just flash their money away when most of us try to make end meet... URG I need to calm down.
  • Pride - Pride is not a vice. Pride is knowing how much you are worth. I'm a sexy badass son of a bitch, I know how talented/awesome I am, and if that makes me an horrible person, so be it. 

So yeah. You are NOT an horrible person or whatever. You are a normal human being. Congratulation!

If "sins" aren't a good way to judge someone, then what is?

I've always personally thought that actions speak louder than words but motivations speak the loudest.

As an atheist, why are you judging against a Christian interpretation of ethics? A grossly simplified one at that...

Anyway I'm an alright person. I could be better but so could almost everyone.

How would you judge then?

#17 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:28 AM

• Lust - Yes. For a man I'll never have and for money so I can't get out of debt.
  • Gluttony - I love food. I probably have an eating disorder where I can't stop eating when I'm full because it's sooo damn delicious.
  • Greed - I'm not really, I'm a minimalist and hate spending money if I don't have to. I don't have fancy things.
  • Sloth - Yup, I'm a lazy fucker.
  • Wrath - I have serious anger issues, scary actually.
  • Envy - Way to envious for my own good, I constantly covet what others have (happiness, love, beauty).
  • Pride - not so much.

Overall, I don't think I'm a bad person, but I don't think I'm a great person either.

Edited by Rocket, 23 April 2014 - 08:29 AM.

#18 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:33 PM

based on the list, i think i need to work with my lust, greed, sloth, envy and pride. i don't think i have gluttony since i don't really eat that much (sorta underweight).

i probably need to work with my wrath too, although i'm more of a passive aggressive person. :/

#19 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:21 PM

If "sins" aren't a good way to judge someone, then what is?

I've always personally thought that actions speak louder than words but motivations speak the loudest.

How would you judge then?

Ooooh I don't know, how about a society based on general consensus, societal law and order and community aspects. How about a society built on legislation, rational thinking, conduct and achievement? How do you think the vast majority of the population got by without Christian influence?

#20 rapmasterme

rapmasterme
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:13 PM

Of course we all are. We are all on a site devoted to cheating on a game that mostly kids play.

#21 Doomsday

Doomsday
  • 178 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

@Kate - Funny.  But you're pregnant and hormones make you do crazy things so temporary pregnancy insanity is acceptable and doesn't make you a bad person ;)

Of course we all are. We are all on a site devoted to cheating on a game that mostly kids play.

It wasn't initially created for kids.  It was created for bored college students.  Many of the people that have been within this community for a long time are adults now but were playing Neopets when they were much younger, in high school/early college.

Issue #247 of the Neopian times confirms the college thing.

I hear so many different stories as to why Neopets was created, and people use these to justify ageism - which is just wrong in my opinion. Some say it's made for college students only, some say for adults, some say for little children. My question is originally, WHY was Neopets created? (My own opinion is that Neopets is for all ages). ~spekje1390
Originally, the site was designed for bored college students. Obviously, however, the site has broadened quite a bit since then, and there are people of all ages who play Neopets. If you are a young player, don't be surprised to hear that many successful players are adults, parents, and even grandparents! There is such a wide variety of things to do, it's quite understandable that people of all ages find aspects of Neopets fun, relaxing, or just a great way to kill time while at home or the office! ;D

Edited by Doomsday, 24 April 2014 - 09:27 PM.

#22 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:28 PM

Re-read his comment.

#23 rapmasterme

rapmasterme
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:34 PM

@Kate - Funny.  But you're pregnant and hormones make you do crazy things so temporary pregnancy insanity is acceptable and doesn't make you a bad person ;)

It wasn't initially created for kids.  It was created for bored college students.  Many of the people that have been within this community for a long time are adults now but were playing Neopets when they were much younger, in high school/early college.

Issue #247 of the Neopian times confirms the college thing.

Wow I actually didn't know that. That is really interesting. I still think it is targeted at kids these days. I feel like it has an emphasis on kid friendliness.

Maybe it is just my bias though because I played when I was a kid, and all my little cousins play.

#24 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:55 PM

Everyone "sins". It's impossible not to. The difference is the intent behind the action. My some people's standards, I am a horrible, sinful human being that should be stoned. But they aren't looking at who I really am and why I do what I do. Who are you, John Doe, and what are your intentions? 

#25 Grandmaster

Grandmaster
  • 748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:03 PM

Ever since fallen of Adam, we have inherited the original sin so sin has become a part of human nature (for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God). Everyone exhibits some forms of sin but no one can escape from sin on his own. In fact, the more religious you are, the more sinful you feel and the more sensitive you are to sins. Whereas on the other hand, the more sinful a person is, the less sinful the person feel and more numb the person is to sins. That's why apostle Paul said he is the worst among sinners.

Edited by Grandmaster, 30 April 2014 - 07:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users