The end of Nokia

nokia microsoft buyout takeover

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Doomsday

Doomsday
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:51 PM

For anyone who's old enough to have had an early Mobile phone, it's more than likely that you probably would have owned a Nokia.  I remember my mobile phone was a Nokia brick but the thing was almost indestructible.   I once dropped my Nokia 3310 off the back of my motorbike at 100km/hr, found it on the side of the road with the battery cover broken up.

With their failure to really enter the smartphone market, Nokia went into steep decline as a mobile manufacturer and I haven't really seen a 'new' Nokia phone in Australia in years.  A lot of business I have worked for have a lot of brand new Nokia mobile phones in 'stock' and use them for low level workers in areas where the phone may be easily destroyed or lost and are easily replaceable.

But, it seems that Nokia may be no more and will be rebranded to Microsoft Mobile Oy, a subsidiary company to Microsoft and most likely their new Mobile devices company.

Nokia have issued a leaked statement to it's suppliers detailing that Microsoft will receive all rights and obligations of the Nokia devices and services business which includes their agreements with suppliers customers and partners.

It appears that Nokia will still exist in some form retaining some of it's other companies such as the Nokia Solutions Network...

R.I.P little buddy.

Link:  Nokia Power Users - Leaked Letter

#2 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:12 PM

No more Nokia? Where will the construction industry get their wrecking balls now?

#3 Doomsday

Doomsday
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:14 PM

No more Nokia? Where will the construction industry get their wrecking balls now?

They'll have to go back to making them out of steel.

#4 Maha

Maha
  • haha

• 1039 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

I've never been a fan of Nokia before to be honest. BUT I always liked to get their smartphones second hand cheaply to give to family as presents, especially the N8, it was great as a little phone for my cousin, the camera was the main reason I got it for 48 dollars locally from a m8 and to this day my cousin still uses it, I think next here his mother is getting him a new one or a sim card. 

But do you really think Microsoft will actually change Nokia's name? I don't see how that would be a smart move but then again I know nothing :p

#5 Doomsday

Doomsday
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:46 PM

I've never been a fan of Nokia before to be honest. BUT I always liked to get their smartphones second hand cheaply to give to family as presents, especially the N8, it was great as a little phone for my cousin, the camera was the main reason I got it for 48 dollars locally from a m8 and to this day my cousin still uses it, I think next here his mother is getting him a new one or a sim card. 

But do you really think Microsoft will actually change Nokia's name? I don't see how that would be a smart move but then again I know nothing :p

Yes.  It seems they are only acquiring the current mobile technology arm of Nokia (not their "Advanced Technologies" arm which could always do mobile technology later).  Which means that there are still other Nokia owned companies / solutions that would also keep the Nokia name.  Leaving the newly acquired division under Nokia's name would only benefit Nokia's brand if they managed to do something great with it, and not the Microsoft name.  There will still be 'Nokia' companies, just no longer the current mobile development division (is my understanding)

#6 Maha

Maha
  • haha

• 1039 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:04 PM

Yes.  It seems they are only acquiring the current mobile technology arm of Nokia (not their "Advanced Technologies" arm which could always do mobile technology later).  Which means that there are still other Nokia owned companies / solutions that would also keep the Nokia name.  Leaving the newly acquired division under Nokia's name would only benefit Nokia's brand if they managed to do something great with it, and not the Microsoft name.  There will still be 'Nokia' companies, just no longer the current mobile development division (is my understanding)

I haven't read into it much, cus y'know its Microsoft and Nokia, though I do like Microsoft better xD

I guess we'll see how it pans out though :D 

#7 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:49 AM

I'll never forget playing Snake on my 3210 back in the day. :p It's a shame they became so irrelevant as a mobile manufacturer (though they have nobody to blame but themselves).

#8 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:50 AM

3210. Classic phone.

#9 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

What kind of name is "Mobile Oy"? And why would Microsoft rebrand something with so much (at least neutral, if not positive) name recognition?  O_o

#10 Doomsday

Doomsday
  • 178 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

@bone:  Oyj is the Finnish equivalent of Plc and Oy is basically the equivalent of Ltd.

I guess they would rebrand it because as I said to Maha earlier, Nokia isn't fully going kaput and is keeping some of it's other companies which are still trading under the Nokia name.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nokia, microsoft, buyout, takeover

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users