• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#51 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:29 AM

I just think it would be silly to limit how often we run a popular event to keep pointless forum awards "semi-exclusive". Who the hell cares about their "value"?

#52 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:49 AM

I just think it would be silly to limit how often we run a popular event to keep pointless forum awards "semi-exclusive". Who the hell cares about their "value"?

Shut up. It's my medal. Go away.

#53 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:16 PM

This. And the fact it provides nothing of real value to the forum besides being something fun to do :/

#54 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:19 PM

Nothing says boosting forum activity like elitism.

#55 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

Sorry ^^;

You guys are right.

So! How are we going to set up the rounds? 

I really like @Dan's idea

You could split people into groups of 4 and have each member of that group battle each of the other opponents. The top 2 players with the most wins from those groups can then go through to the next stages. This would mean even if you suck (like me  :p) you'll still face each of the opponents in your group at least once (so, 3 games at least). 

What do you guys think?

We'd need quite a few more participants however.

(And maybe I could polish the awards off a bit? I love the medal but I feel like I coulda done a better job)

#56 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:02 PM

This.

#57 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:04 PM

Sorry ^^;

You guys are right.

So! How are we going to set up the rounds? 

I really like @Dan's idea

What do you guys think?

We'd need quite a few more participants however.

(And maybe I could polish the awards off a bit? I love the medal but I feel like I coulda done a better job)

I like it.

#58 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:32 PM

This.

Be specific.

#59 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

I was going to host a round robin tour. Everyone has to battle everyone once. User with the most wins is the winner, otherwise in the event of a tie then there is a tie breaker battle. Simple and allows for any number of people in that format. 4 people? Sure. 12 people? Sure.

Alternatively. I can get us a temp room on the Frost server and we can host actual tours...

#60 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:56 PM

That would take waaaaay too long.

And opening a room on another server is unnecessary. For a tournament to work, we'd all have to be online at the same time. Considering the fact that almost all of us live in different time zones, it'd be near impossible.

That being said, I am really leaning towards Dan's idea since it seems like the easiest to put in motion. I'm hoping for a big turnout :3

#61 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:07 PM

That being said, I am really leaning towards Dan's idea since it seems like the easiest to put in motion. I'm hoping for a big turnout :3

Which is a round robin tournament using brackets. That's all it is. 4 person brackets in a round robin style.

The only difference is the lack of brackets in a true round robin style tourny. Which is what I was suggesting.

#62 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:09 PM

Do it Swiss, like the actual VGC.

...I think.

#63 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:45 PM

Which is a round robin tournament using brackets. That's all it is. 4 person brackets in a round robin style.

The only difference is the lack of brackets in a true round robin style tourny. Which is what I was suggesting.

And I said no to your suggestion because having everyone battle each other once would take much longer.

Do it Swiss, like the actual VGC.

...I think.

Ehh...I would but I like the idea of people getting eliminated too much :p

#64 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

And I said no to your suggestion because having everyone battle each other once would take much longer.

Brackets = less battles and slightly more organizing. This isn't a bad tourny setup but ultimately it is heavily dependent on how the host handles it.

And shouldn't we vote on it in some manner so we can go with the preference of the overall participants?

#65 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:57 PM

Brackets = less battles and slightly more organizing. This isn't a bad tourny setup but ultimately it is heavily dependent on how the host handles it.

And shouldn't we vote on it in some manner so we can go with the preference of the overall participants?

The participants don't always know what is best. Voting is not the best solution for everything.

#66 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:01 PM

The participants don't always know what is best. Voting is not the best solution for everything.

Okay.

I still think that listing the three or four viable tourny styles in some form of a vote amongst those participants who have the knowledge of how they function would be beneficial even if used loosely as a reference only. We could do a private ballot via pm or something to keep the voting group controlled to those active and knowledgeable on the subject at hand.

#67 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:04 PM

Okay.

I still think that listing the three or four viable tourny styles in some form of a vote amongst those participants who have the knowledge of how they function would be beneficial even if used loosely as a reference only. We could do a private ballot via pm or something to keep the voting group controlled to those active and knowledgeable on the subject at hand.

Why? Sometimes people can make decisions on their own.

You've made your suggestion. Ivysaur decided not to use it. He did the same with mine.
I moved on, you called for a vote.

#68 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:08 PM

I don't understand why there needs to be a discussion each time this is held..  :S

@Ivysaur, just do what you think should be done and hold sign ups. Please! Maybe hold them a bit longer so more people can sign up! ^_^

#69 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:11 PM

I don't understand why there needs to be a discussion each time this is held..  :S

There doesn't.

#70 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:17 PM

I understand what you want but I just don't think everyone battling everyone would work since I expect the turnout to be much larger this time around. Granted it leaves room for more battling but...there has to be a cap. I don't want this to go on forever.

@Ivysaur, just do what you think should be done and hold sign ups. Please! Maybe hold them a bit longer so more people can sign up! ^_^

Will do! And yeah! I plan on leaving them open for 5 days this time instead of 2-3ish.

Does no one want to talk about the tier changes...? That was a big part too TT_TT

Should we try Underused? Stick to Overused? Do Ubers? Double battles?

#71 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:24 PM

I understand what you want but I just don't think everyone battling everyone would work since I expect the turnout to be much larger this time around. Granted it leaves room for more battling but...there has to be a cap. I don't want this to go on forever.

Will do! And yeah! I plan on leaving them open for 5 days this time instead of 2-3ish.

Does no one want to talk about the tier changes...? That was a big part too TT_TT

Should we try Underused? Stick to Overused? Do Ubers? Double battles?

I wish I could help choose, but I honestly have never battled competitively, so I don't even know what you're asking x_x Ban overpowered things (obviously) and no double battles would be my vote.

#72 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:28 PM

I doubt very many people want to research specific tiers and choose only from those.

Just no ubers is fine, really.

Also for those who do know. Try to go easy on the rest of us. ;)

#73 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:31 PM

Oops, I didn't see the part about tiers. Selective reading ftw.

I agree with Elin. It might be fun to try a different tier, but the vast majority of people play with OU/VGC rules and it's a lot of work to research how to play in a completely different metagame.

#74 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:31 PM

Yeah. You're right Elin.

Should we just do another OU tour then? Seems like a waste though.

Simplicity for the sake of newer/noncompetitive players should be taken into account as well though.

#75 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:32 PM

Yeah. You're right Elin.

Should we just do another OU tour then? Seems like a waste though.

Simplicity for the sake of newer/noncompetitive players should be taken into account as well though.

A waste of what?  O_o

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pokemon, showdow, tournament

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users