What really grinds YOUR gears?

• Please log in to reply
1621 replies to this topic

#151 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:57 PM

I didn't think I would ever experience this again, but I did recently so I'm kinda on a rampage...

How the hell isn't it racist to tell a pale person that they should be more tan? Would you tell a black person to bleach their skin? I'm so very sorry by skin tone offends you, but you know what? You practically just told me to get cancer from skin damage. I'm very careful with my skin because I can burn. I have skin cancer on both sides. I am NOT going to conform to current beauty standards because it's not just going to cause me wrinkles later, it could potentially kill me. Think before you speak. How hard is that? I just want to punch people when they say something like that or they say that my legs are blinding them. Fuck you, too. I think I have very nice legs, thank you.

#152 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:24 PM

I didn't think I would ever experience this again, but I did recently so I'm kinda on a rampage...

How the hell isn't it racist to tell a pale person that they should be more tan? Would you tell a black person to bleach their skin? I'm so very sorry by skin tone offends you, but you know what? You practically just told me to get cancer from skin damage. I'm very careful with my skin because I can burn. I have skin cancer on both sides. I am NOT going to conform to current beauty standards because it's not just going to cause me wrinkles later, it could potentially kill me. Think before you speak. How hard is that? I just want to punch people when they say something like that or they say that my legs are blinding them. Fuck you, too. I think I have very nice legs, thank you.

I get this all the time & also a lot of people who know me constantly tell me I look ill and ask if I'm sick because I'm so translucent. Get off my back! I'm working on my laptop tan!

#153 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:23 AM

Or you know, they could just think you'd look nice with some colour.

#154 DasBear

DasBear
  • 133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:03 AM

I've been a Goth since I was 12 and people still assume I'm going through a "phase" or I worship Satan. (-__-') Also hate it when people point an shout, "Look a Goth". 

Edited by DasBear, 24 May 2014 - 05:03 AM.

#155 EverKaia

EverKaia
  • 374 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:12 AM

No, Friz...I have to say you're in the minority on this one.

I don't get it a lot, but I've had some people mention how pale I am. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it racist, but it's certainly annoying.

I got sick last year and the nursing student that did my IV commented on how light my skin is. I said that I don't go outside very often in the summer and she said, "In the summer?"

"Okay, at all."

(I went swimming at a lake a few times last summer and I got burnt a bit the first time, so at least I had a tanline to prove it when the burn was gone!)

I don't like hot weather. I hate mosquitos. I'm cnidophobic. I have allergies. Frankly, if I go outside, I like to go at night so I can see the stars! (What's worth going outside for in the daylight? Clouds? I can see them out the windows, thanks.)

A cousin commented on how pale I was at the family reunion one year and I tore into her. I said I didn't see any reason to make my skin leathery, to put myself at risk for skin cancer, etc., etc." Her mom does Mary Kay, much like my mom...didn't she ever look at her mom's skin care brochures? MK used to have one specifically touting their sunscreen line and picturing different instances of skin cancerI won't say that scared me out of it, but it's a very good reason not to fake-bake or anything else.

(Which reminds me...my favorite massage therapist now runs her own tanning parlor. I don't like it, but I don't say anything. At least she moved up the street so she can no longer tempt the servers at the restaurant I worked at. UGH!) (It's just as it sounds like...some of the servers {especially the younger girls we had for a while} would tan and then come to work. *makes a face*)

By the way...it's been suggested that people think I'm ten years younger than I am because I don't tan or do anything crazy to my skin. Makes a difference. :p

Edited by Novelista, 24 May 2014 - 07:11 AM.

#156 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:41 AM

Yeah you sound emotionally vulnerable when someone suggests getting a tan.

#157 EverKaia

EverKaia
  • 374 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:44 AM

Me? Emotionally vulnerable? No, but if you keep harping on the issue instead of dropping it, you may indirectly encourage me to punch the next person who suggests it.

#158 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:45 AM

So are you supplementing with Vitamin D then?

#159 EverKaia

EverKaia
  • 374 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:46 AM

Last time I had a complete blood panel, everything was fine. It's not like I never go outdoors.

#160 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:09 AM

Itches in places I can't reach them.

The soles of my feet itching. I've run barefoot for so many years that they're tough and difficult to itch. I usually run them up and down across the edge of the coffee table for relief.

When my brother won't 'itch' them :(

I hate when people say itch instead of scratch.

You scratch an itch. It doesn't make any sense to itch an itch.

#161 EverKaia

EverKaia
  • 374 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:12 AM

You're absolutely right, Tri. My apologies.

*scratches her head...and then decides she's having trouble spelling "scratches". xD *

#162 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:23 AM

Me? Emotionally vulnerable? No, but if you keep harping on the issue instead of dropping it, you may indirectly encourage me to punch the next person who suggests it.

Ahh physical violence when someone suggests getting some sun. Definitely insecure.

#163 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:29 AM

I prefer to embrace my blue-gray hue. :p

#164 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:36 AM

I prefer to embrace my blue-gray hue. :p

You've never seen the sun up there though have you?

I'm paler than pale, so it's about 10 minutes of sun to get some vitamin D, then factor 50 and the shade. I usually manage to build up a vague resemblance of a non-corpse like colour by the end of the summer.

#165 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:40 AM

You've never seen the sun up there though have you?

I think I saw it in a book once. I usually end up going white to pink then back to white again anyway and while I rather enjoy peeling off skin after being burnt it doesn't really make up for the discomfort. :p

#166 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:43 AM

I think I saw it in a book once. I usually end up going white to pink then back to white again anyway and while I rather enjoy peeling off skin after being burnt it doesn't really make up for the discomfort. :p

Just before you burnt the book probably. Enjoys peeling off skin.....there's a more disturbing entry to your dossier...

On the very rare occasions I do get burnt, I feel an extreme sense of guilt and then spend the next week constantly applying moisturiser and promising never to get burnt again, so fade to tan instead of peeling at least.

I do feel a lot healthier for a touch of colour, my legs are terrifyingly grey at present.

#167 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:47 AM

You can experience the same joy with a bottle of Elmer's Glue. Any sort of paste glue really.

#168 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:56 AM

You can experience the same joy with a bottle of Elmer's Glue. Any sort of paste glue really.

That tends to be inedible though.

Just before you burnt the book probably. Enjoys peeling off skin.....there's a more disturbing entry to your dossier...

On the very rare occasions I do get burnt, I feel an extreme sense of guilt and then spend the next week constantly applying moisturiser and promising never to get burnt again, so fade to tan instead of peeling at least.

I do feel a lot healthier for a touch of colour, my legs are terrifyingly grey at present.

Our weather isn't actually that bad in reality. :p Obviously we get lower temperatures than down south but we're actually one of the drier parts of the UK since we're in a rain shadow. ;)

#169 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:01 PM

The implications of this statement make me shudder.

Then I thought of Jonathan Swift. Then I thought "Just how old is Waser really?"

#170 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:05 PM

The implications of this statement make me shudder.

Then I thought of Jonathan Swift. Then I thought "Just how old is Waser really?"

Not as old as Jonathan Swift, thank you very much. :p

#171 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

Currently scribbling "is disgusting" in the file...

#172 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:11 PM

I'm extremely pale too. That's mostly due to low iron but I've been this way pretty much my entire life *shrug*

#173 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:11 PM

Currently scribbling "is disgusting" in the file...

I would have thought that would already be in the file. xD

#174 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:12 PM

I would have thought that would already be in the file. xD

Highlighting and underlining and adding several exclamation marks.

#175 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:14 PM

Highlighting and underlining and adding several exclamation marks.

Wait, women don't find that kind of thing endearing?! :/ I knew I'd been going wrong somewhere...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users