• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Tailwind

Tailwind
  • Win points = 2,235,563

• 2576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:31 AM

I'm rather curious to see if anyone else does any non-standard runs when they've beaten their games and have decided to restart. Stuff like Nuzlockes, monotype, Mystery Egg runs and so on. Figured we could maybe talk about our experiences playing like this, maybe share stories or progress as well.

I'm currently running through Y and doing a "no evolution" run. Basically meaning I can only have Pokémon at their first stage, but they must also be able to evolve. Still towards the beginning of the game, so it's not much of a challenge yet, but I'm wondering just how badly I'm going to get my butt kicked later once I begin dealing with Team Flare, or even the latter set of gyms.

Team so far is Fennekin, Deerling (traded over as an egg, don't judge me), and Squirtle all at level 15. Sitting pretty in front of Snorlax right now waiting to wake it up and kick its face in. :)

#2 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:36 AM

I tried a Nuzlocke on an emulator. I failed hardcore.

#3 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:41 AM

I've done Nuzlocke on Platinum and resetted the games 2 times. I forgot my pokemon by I did pick a Chimchar and a Starly. I gave up Nuzlocke when I had to train for real to conquer the Battle Frontier.

#4 Tailwind

Tailwind
  • Win points = 2,235,563

• 2576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:43 AM

I tried a Nuzlocke on an emulator. I failed hardcore.

That sucks. Which game did you attempt with? Some of them are less Nuzlocke friendly than others.

I've done Nuzlocke on Platinum and resetted the games 2 times. I forgot my pokemon by I did pick a Chimchar and a Starly. I gave up Nuzlocke when I had to train for real to conquer the Battle Frontier.

Oh whoa, most people just declare a Nuzlocke "won" after they've beaten the Elite Four (or in HGSS's case, gotten all 16 badges and beaten Red), I wouldn't dream of attempting the Hax Frontier with a Nuzlocke team!

#5 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:44 AM

That sucks. Which game did you attempt with? Some of them are less Nuzlocke friendly than others.

I did a randomised Black, I think. I was planning to stream it on Twitch... but I just sucked xD

#6 Tailwind

Tailwind
  • Win points = 2,235,563

• 2576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:47 AM

I did a randomised Black, I think. I was planning to stream it on Twitch... but I just sucked xD

Black and White are rather difficult to start out with due to the first two gyms being extremely hyper aggressive. Add an extra element of randomness in there and I'm not surprised you crashed and burned. :(

You should try it again sometime. I'd totally watch.

#7 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:49 AM

Oh whoa, most people just declare a Nuzlocke "won" after they've beaten the Elite Four (or in HGSS's case, gotten all 16 badges and beaten Red), I wouldn't dream of attempting the Hax Frontier with a Nuzlocke team!

I didn't know that xD

The one that thing bothers me most from the Nuzlocke challenge is that it can cripple your team randomly. I just remembered how I lost my Drapion because one of Volkner's pokemon landed a critical attack when I was at around half HP. The two times I did die were on random routes and I wasn't paying too much attention.

#8 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:49 AM

Maybe once we're in Nashville and have better internet than rural Kentucky :p

#9 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:51 AM

Bone tried Nuzlocke too.

An interesting run I see a lot with speedrunners is a Wonder Trade run. You basically wonder trade your starter for another pokemon around the same level, and you can't get any other pokemon except the ones you're forcefully given (which you wonder trade too :p) and HM slaves if needed.

#10 Chocodile

Chocodile
  • 57 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:52 AM

I most recently did a team in HGSS that was all blue pokemon.  I can't remember my team exactly, I know I had Feraligatr, Jumpluff, Wobuffett, and Dragonair though.  It was a very fun run! 

#11 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:12 AM

I've done a Nuzlocke on Leafgreen (And only lost 3 pokemon) and am attempting to do one on White 2.  I'm trying to think of different types of challenges. :D

Edited by Scrafty, 14 May 2014 - 09:12 AM.

#12 Lightsora65

Lightsora65
  • 62 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:40 AM

Did 2 Nuzlock challenges

The first one was on Pokemon white. It was pretty good i came up to the 7th gym leader, but got soon bored and dropped it.

The second one was a bit later on bloody platin ( fan game) and I sucked pretty hard. After the third or fourth wipe I gave up hope.

The challenge I did consist of:

1. You may catch one pokemon per Area

2. You have to release your starter pokemon

3. If a pokemon dies you have to set him free

4. Give every pokemon a nickname

#13 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:42 AM

I admire anyone who tries them but I wouldn't do it myself because it's so much of a hassle x'D... I have barely time to play through games normally.

#14 Mathilda

Mathilda
  • 199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:06 AM

I have done... 5 Nuzlocke challenge myself!

The only gen that I'm missing is the 4th.... (but fuck the 4th gen)

#15 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:53 AM

I'm thinking about trying a (non-randomized) Nuzlocke, again. Any game suggestions? I have ALL OF THEM.

#16 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

I'm thinking about trying a (non-randomized) Nuzlocke, again. Any game suggestions? I have ALL OF THEM.

Pokemon Pinball.

#17 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

Pokemon pinball was the shit. I loved it.

#18 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:49 AM

Pokemon Pinball.

Which one? I have both. ;)

#19 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:53 AM

Which one? I have both. ;)

I'm accustomed to the first one. Dat rockin' soundtrack.

#20 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:00 PM

I'm accustomed to the first one. Dat rockin' soundtrack.

Yeah. Red Field or Blue Field? The answer is obvious.

#21 Tanpopo

Tanpopo
  • 198 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:01 PM

Every time I try a Nuzlocke run, I end up just giving up halfway through or just basically cheating during it.

Recently I'm trying randomized runs, I find them a lot more interesting because you could find anything in the wild or a battle. So far I'm running an Emerald run (which has been interesting since it's my first time playing Emerald) as well as a HeartGold run (something about seeing your pokemon following you around fires me up ovo).

#22 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:04 PM

Yeah. Red Field or Blue Field? The answer is obvious.

Red.

Right? <_<

#23 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:06 PM

Aaahhh I should really play the pinball games at some point lmao

But I tried doing a Sapphire nuzlocke yeaaars ago!! I made an awful comic to go along with it (wow its four years old already!!) but jesus christ I had no idea making comics took up so much time and effort!! How do those comic artists manage to shit out comics daily/weekly.... I got kinda sick of drawing it and quit around when you get to Lavaridge Town :x

I've been meaning to get back into that or try nuzlocking HG but ehhh I'm too lazy and having too much fun with X!! <3 If we could emulate it I'd totally nuzlocke X and try doing another comic for it!! :3 <3

#24 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

Red.

Right? <_<

:funone2:

#25 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:47 PM

I've done the Nuzlocke challenge once on Pokemon Ruby. It was the most challenging Pokemon has been to me since I was 8.

I did a few optional rules... I didn't use any Pokemart which made me really value the random pokeballs found around. No catchings or using Legendaries, since they are technically not the first encounter in that area. I also did not use my Master Ball.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users