What are you reading?

• Please log in to reply
427 replies to this topic

#26 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:08 AM

I saw this post and started to feel bad because I don't read nearly as much as I used to... then I realized, I just don't read fiction anymore (I miss it so much :(). Currently, I'm reading Crazy Like Us by Ethan Watters. It's about the globalization of the American psyche and how the DSM is being used to classify disorders in other countries without taking into consideration the differing cultural norms. I'm probably going to be reading both the DSM V and the ICD-10 next for comparative measure.

#27 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:55 AM

Nothing currently but it's summer so probably something soon. I'll see if I can get to a bookstore once I get home. My mom has a Kindle, but I can't stand reading on those :/ I prefer actually holding the book in my hands. 

#28 Bee

Bee
  • 1169 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:50 AM

Just finished reading the second book in the Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson (he's only on two of a proposed ten o.O), reading Malice by John Gywnne now, and the next one is Sworn in Steel by Douglas Hulick (second of the Tales of the Kin series). 

When I'm at work, I'm usually reading the BNFC (it's a formulary for paeds) just for the kicks.

I also read a lot of gay fluff romances alongside my sci-fi epics. I'm normally reading like 3 at a time.

I'm pretty much always reading.

#29 Haliax

Haliax
  • 366 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:40 AM

I am reading Malice by John Gwyne. Things to tide me over until the next Kingkiller of ASOIAF book is out.

Edit: Woah, just read the post above me.

Edited by Haliax, 17 May 2014 - 03:40 AM.

#30 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:55 AM

Things to tide me over until the next Kingkiller of ASOIAF book is out.

I was wondering whether your nick was from the Kingkiller books but I guess I don't have to ask now ^_^

#31 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:40 AM

I read more than one thing at a time, always.

For fiction, I just started Picture Perfect by Fern Michaels, I'm halfway through The Stanislaski Sisters by Nora Roberts, and almost done with The Reckoning by Beverly Lewis.

For non-fiction, I'm in Green Mama by Tracey Bianchi and re-reading Mission Possible by Eva Moskowitz and Arin Lavinia after a conversation with @Bone.

I'm also looking over Dairy Free 101 in the cookbook genre, but I don't think I'm going to make it to the end.

#32 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:17 AM

The last book I finished was Dune by Frank Herbert. I re-read it about once a month. Other recent completions are Less Than Zero, Ender's Game, Lermontov's A Hero of Our Time, and the May 2013 issues of The Economist. I'm a bit behind on my subscription.

Currently I'm reading C.S. Lewis The Screwtape Letters, Machiavelli's The Prince, and June 2013 issues of The Economist. Oh, and God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens.

I suppose I should include Patterns of Democracy and Principles of Comparative Politics, because technically I'm reading them for my uni course (Comparative Politics, surprise surprise).

Oh, and I've been re-reading the world creation sections from my D&D Dungeon Master's Guide for inspiration. Been trying to work on some plot and background stuff for someone's website game.

I've also been slowly working my way through Your First Novel, a writing guide for wannabe novelists (which I consider myself).

That covers the print media.

#33 EverKaia

EverKaia
  • 374 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:49 AM

Oh, I didn't realize we were counting periodicals, too. ^_^

I read the Lansing State Journal every morning (that's our local "major" paper), I've already read this week's issue of Entertainment WeeklyTime just came today and I read this month's Reader's Digest last week. I don't remember when the last issues of The Writer and Writer's Digest came, but it's mid-month, so they should be coming again soon. Oh and I literally go through the tv guide that comes in the paper each week and mark off what I want to see day-to-day, just so I don't miss anything. (I don't typically forget my regular shows, but if there's something special on, I like having that purple/green/blue {or occasionally red} slash to get my attention--especially if I'm recording it.)

If a survey comes up after I buy something, I generally take it, because the "reward" at the end is cheap magazines. :D I got EW and Time off a survey deal and both digests on a discount from the American Psychological Association. (I took out a membership last year when I was going to grad school.) The only one on that list I've paid full price for is The Writer, because APA wouldn't have a discount for it. :p

#34 Choconilla

Choconilla
  • 53 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:33 PM

Serenity Rose 10 Awkward Years. It was Kickstarter backed and has my name is the credits. Heck yes. ^-^ 10 years of comics.

#35 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:48 PM

Yesterday I finished Lord of Chaos, book 6 of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.  I'm trying to finally make it all the way through the series.

#36 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawkĀ·ishĀ·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

Just wrapped up All Quiet on the Western Front, and I'm a little bit into The Idea Factory: Bell Labs and the Great Age of American Innovation.

#37 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:26 PM

Has anyone here read Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand?

amazing story, I cried. sap status

#38 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawkĀ·ishĀ·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:29 PM

Dune by Frank Herbert.

Pretty sure that's on my list... somewhere.  I've got too much I want to read, but for some reason reading is usually pretty low on my priority list.

#39 EverKaia

EverKaia
  • 374 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:57 PM

I finished Uglies this afternoon and moved on to Pretties.

Oh my Goddess...if I wasn't certain that Tally was eventually going to try Maddy's pills, I'd lose my ever-lovin' mind! I want to shoot the fucking book!

But that would ruin my pricey Tab 3, so that's a no. xP

#40 Mandie

Mandie
  • 407 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:58 AM

Currently reading Neocodex general chat's "What are you reading?". After that, I might upload the Left Behind series.

#41 EverKaia

EverKaia
  • 374 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:24 AM

I tried LB once...I got two to three-and-a-half books in and got tired of waiting (plus massively brain-bamboozled), so I stopped. :p

#42 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:54 AM

Just finished The Autograph Man by Zadie Smith.

It was ... interesting. I don't know if I could say I enjoyed it. The main character, Alex-Li Tandem has little or no redeeming qualities and it feels like Smith tries to squeeze sympathy from the reader when this character actually doesn't deserve any.

Also he, Alex, is obsessed with categorising things as 'jewish' or 'goyish' and after a while it becomes really grating and I don't know what purpose it serves (I did enjoy the Lenny Bruch epitaph)

It's funny in places but I get the feeling Smith thinks it's more amusing than it is.

I'm continuing my foray into late post-modernism (or post postmodernism as I've seen it termed :p ) by picking up a copy of Dave Egger's memoir A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

Pretty bold title, I wonder if it will deliver.

#43 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:58 AM

I am reading The Revolution by Ron Paul.

#44 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:01 PM

e8309063827a5710ff7647e7b6fee5f8.jpg

#45 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:06 PM

Also I wanted to ask has anyone read A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon?

I loved his book The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho is quite beautiful :)

I love that book! Definitely going on my re-read list.

#46 Mizk

Mizk
  • 137 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:11 PM

I keep meaning to read more, but I'm too easily distracted by other more easily consumable mediums

I finished Snow Crash right before the AC, which was pretty meh. I've been halfway through The Crying of Lot 49 for about a month and just have no desire to continue it really. I think it's because I really want to read The Shadow of the Torturer, but my library doesn't have it and I'm too jew to buy it (cuz then I'd end up permanently owning a book that I may end up disliking)

#47 Pinkberry

Pinkberry
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:06 PM

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho is quite beautiful :)

I've been meaning to read that sometime.

Currently reading Super Freakonomics by Steven Levitt

#48 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:16 PM

not reading anything atm but i just recently finished reading thanks for the memories by cecelia ahern. it's about a woman who had an accident suddenly getting new memories and knowledge about architecture and stuff after having blood transfusion. it's kinda cheesy. xD

#49 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:47 PM

I started The Uglies a couple days ago because I can't find my Kindle right now and I have the whole Uglies series on my iPad. Stupid moving, all my crap is in boxes.

Compared to the Wheel of Time series, which I'm reading now (currently in book 7) it's an incredibly easy read. I might let myself finish the quartet before I get back to WoT.

#50 EverKaia

EverKaia
  • 374 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:01 PM

Let me know if you get all the way through, @Nymh. I think I can't make myself go back to Extras because my head will explode.

Instead, I'm trying to get back into the Southern Vampire mysteries (the books that started True Blood). I just started Club Dead again yesterday.

(I'd read all of them before the series finished, but never went back, so I hijacked a copy of the series--including the short stories and the "ending guide"--and am starting over. Or have been meaning to, anyway.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users