• Please log in to reply
427 replies to this topic

#51 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:04 PM

Let me know if you get all the way through, @Nymh. I think I can't make myself go back to Extras because my head will explode.

Instead, I'm trying to get back into the Southern Vampire mysteries (the books that started True Blood). I just started Club Dead again yesterday.

(I'd read all of them before the series finished, but never went back, so I hijacked a copy of the series--including the short stories and the "ending guide"--and am starting over. Or have been meaning to, anyway.)

Will do. I started the Sookie books, I think I got through the first 7 or 8, then moved on to something else. I should go back through them again and try to finish the series.

#52 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:06 PM

I should go back through them again and try to finish the series.

But there are so many better books to read...

#53 EverKaia

EverKaia
  • 374 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

We're into some of the same stuff. Nice!

When I last read the series, Sookie had just found out that she was part fae. I've left it so long that not only are the books finished, but the television show is on the last season. But that's only been like five years or so. *laughs*

I have eleventy billion books to read on my tablet. I can never decide.

I started reading through the Laura Ingalls Wilder series, because I only had a few of the books as a girl and not in any order. I got partway into By the Shores of Silver Lake and got bored with that one, too.

Maybe I should re-read Full Dark, No Stars. Stephen King fixes many ills...especially with short stories featuring kickass women. ;)

#54 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:10 PM

But there are so many better books to read...

I know. I'm trying to get back into concurrent reading, though.

#55 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:43 AM

I just finished Gone Girl and Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. Dark Places was my favorite out of the two. I want to read her other book, Sharp Objects, but it's like 200 some pages, and I finished the last two within two days (they were 400 pages) so I'm afraid of finishing it too quickly lol.

I need to finish Catch-22. I want to re-read a couple other books too, and I want to bring a few back to school with me.

#56 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:45 AM

Will do. I started the Sookie books, I think I got through the first 7 or 8, then moved on to something else. I should go back through them again and try to finish the series.

But they're so ridiculously awful. :p

I just finished Gone Girl and Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. Dark Places was my favorite out of the two. I want to read her other book, Sharp Objects, but it's like 200 some pages, and I finished the last two within two days (they were 400 pages) so I'm afraid of finishing it too quickly lol.

I need to finish Catch-22. I want to re-read a couple other books too, and I want to bring a few back to school with me.

Gone Girl was so insanely hyped, that I think I hated it out of principle.

#57 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:48 AM

Gone Girl was so insanely hyped, that I think I hated it out of principle.

Yeah, I wasn't exactly thrilled about it. I was torn between Dark Places and Gone Girl at first because I'd read some of the reviews on Gone Girl that weren't exactly good. So, I went with Dark Places to kind of test out if I liked her books. Loved Dark Places. Moved onto Gone Girl after and kind of... meh. There were too many twists and turns, and I ended up hating every character. 

#58 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:54 AM

I couldn't actually read the Southern Vampire series - primarily because of the way the author had it in first person perspective. I quit after the first page and moved to the audiobooks.

#59 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:54 AM

Yeah, I wasn't exactly thrilled about it. I was torn between Dark Places and Gone Girl at first because I'd read some of the reviews on Gone Girl that weren't exactly good. So, I went with Dark Places to kind of test out if I liked her books. Loved Dark Places. Moved onto Gone Girl after and kind of... meh. There were too many twists and turns, and I ended up hating every character.

Right? Every character is unlikeable and Nick and Amy are outright detestable.

#60 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:01 AM

Right? Every character is unlikeable and Nick and Amy are outright detestable.

Ugh and the ending was absolutely horrible.

Spoiler alert

Spoiler

#61 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:13 PM

Ugh and the ending was absolutely horrible.

Spoiler alert

Spoiler

Agree completely. The ending was a shocker but not in a good way.

ON the topic of deeply unsatisfying endings I was so annoyed at how One Day by David Nicholas ended.

#62 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

Agree completely. The ending was a shocker but not in a good way.

ON the topic of deeply unsatisfying endings I was so annoyed at how One Day by David Nicholas ended.

I didn't mind the book, I was fairly upset by the ending but in a sad way. The film was a fucking travesty though. Anne Hathaway's supposedly Yorkshire accent, no merci.

#63 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:41 PM

I know. I like to have a shitty fallback series.

#64 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:47 AM

Added Our Island Story to the list.

#65 BEDDOEDv

BEDDOEDv
  • 287 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:50 AM

really getting into the harry potter collection at the moment. also horrible histories coz they are exiting

#66 EverKaia

EverKaia
  • 374 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

Funny you should say that...I'd like to get copies of (and start reading) the Horrible Histories all over again.

I once tried the mead recipe from...I think it was the Roman or Egyptian book. Pretty gross. :p

#67 ZombieRainicorn

ZombieRainicorn
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:09 AM

Graceling. It's weird, but really entertaining.

#68 Aries

Aries
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:29 AM

Just finished reading The Fault in Our Stars for the billionth time. Now I'm going to start reading The Da Vinci Code series. 

#69 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:19 AM

So I finished A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius which I personally really enjoyed. It was in turns funny, sad, insightful and stylistically impressive.

It's Dave Eggers' memoir  and he's the type of protagonist I love to hate. SO flawed, but he knows it.

Now I have my ~*~KINDLE~*~ I'm going to be reading a lot more.

I've...ahem..acquired the NY Times May 2014 Bestsellers list and am going to be working my way through that and other Kindle Bestsellers.

This weekend I read The One & Only by Emily Giffin which I thought was truly awful :p And yet I read it to the end, more fool me.

#70 valarmorghulis

valarmorghulis
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

Just started reading master and margarita.

no opinions on it yet so far

#71 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:12 AM

Dark Tower VII, last night I read like 350 pages. I can't stop.

#72 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

Started reading The Girl in the Box series because it's free on Amazon

So far? Terrible :p But I kind of want to see what happens

#73 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:27 AM

Just picked up a few new books the other day that I am eager to dive into.

The Day After The Dollar Crashes.

Think and Grow Rich.

Give and Take.

#74 EverKaia

EverKaia
  • 374 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:41 PM

Started A Discovery of Witches over again, headed to the sequel (Shadow of Night) next. Looking forward to Book of Life (the last book)...not too thrilled that B&N doesn't have release day delivery like Amazon, but I was able to get an autographed copy, so...*shrugs*

#75 pistola

pistola
  • 437 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:47 PM

just finished memoirs of the addicted brain. it was surprisingly educational and fun to read. theres nothing more i like to read then a good book about drug addiction and crazy stories about getting high.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users