• Please log in to reply
427 replies to this topic

#151 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:24 AM

Blows my mind that this is your first read of TKAM. Also, is Lolita not a classic? I always felt it was.

Haha yeah me too. And yeah it is, that was meant only for GoT.

#152 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:10 AM

I would LOVE to know what you think of The Stand, it's on my list. I have also heard really great things about The Dome (Stephen King), another one I'm gonna have to get here soon.

Personally I really enjoyed The Stand and I enjoyed Under The Dome too (much better than the TV show which is pretty horrendous...). If you like Stephen King you really need to read The Dark Tower series, ideally before it's made into a film + TV show which are both on the way, allegedly.

#153 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:21 AM

Personally I really enjoyed The Stand and I enjoyed Under The Dome too (much better than the TV show which is pretty horrendous...). If you like Stephen King you really need to read The Dark Tower series, ideally before it's made into a film + TV show which are both on the way, allegedly.

Dark Tower is for sure on my list. I'm of the same mind as you - read the books before watching the film/show. Also, good God, is the Under the Dome show bad. Finally someone else who's seen it I can complain to lol.

#154 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:25 AM

Dark Tower is for sure on my list. I'm of the same mind as you - read the books before watching the film/show. Also, good God, is the Under the Dome show bad. Finally someone else who's seen it I can complain to lol.

It was doomed from the second they sliced that cow in half, it just looked terrible and somehow managed to get steadily worse. They changed the plot pretty significantly from the book too, people who were supposed to die stayed alive even...ridiculous.

#155 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:32 AM

I keep trying to read Under the Dome because I miss the show (yeah, I miss that piece of shit lol), but I can't focus on it. It makes me feel inside the story, but I get confused with real life for some reason xD I need to read it when I'm on vacation.

#156 Norava

Norava
  • Pro Can Cran

• 547 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:42 AM

I'm working my way through the lord of the rings. The books far outdo the movies, although I love them both. 

#157 VaultBoy

VaultBoy
  • 215 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:08 AM

Currently reading Atlas Shrugged... Tough book

#158 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2043 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2015 - 01:14 PM

It was doomed from the second they sliced that cow in half, it just looked terrible and somehow managed to get steadily worse. They changed the plot pretty significantly from the book too, people who were supposed to die stayed alive even...ridiculous.

Haven't seen it.
Not sure I want to now... though perhaps it's better to see the show first then read the book?

And how DARE a show change who lives and who dies. :p

TWD Spoilerish

Spoiler

#159 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2015 - 01:15 PM

TWD Spoilerish

Spoiler

Fuuuck The Walking Dead comics lately. I fear for everyone I love.

#160 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2015 - 01:22 PM

Haven't seen it.
Not sure I want to now... though perhaps it's better to see the show first then read the book?

And how DARE a show change who lives and who dies. :p

TWD Spoilerish

Spoiler

The book is definitely better, but they are different. King said both stories are different so those who already read the book can watch the show without knowing what's gonna happen, and so those who watch the show can read the book without spoiling the show.

#161 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2043 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2015 - 01:22 PM

Fuuuck The Walking Dead comics lately. I fear for everyone I love.

You're telling me. Next season is going to be a nightmare for the gang on the show.

Especially if they kill ______ as brutally as they did in the comics.

Took a break after issue #126. How bad do things get after that?

#162 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2015 - 01:36 PM

You're telling me. Next season is going to be a nightmare for the gang on the show.

Especially if they kill ______ as brutally as they did in the comics.

Took a break after issue #126. How bad do things get after that?

I WILL LOSE MY SHIT IF THEY FOLLOW ISSUE #100.

Also I took a break around the same time. I think I have up to issue #131 ready to read but I've been lazy. I just can't lose anymore of the gang.

#163 Chameleon

Chameleon
  • vampire or somesuch

• 627 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2015 - 01:50 PM

The book is definitely better, but they are different. King said both stories are different so those who already read the book can watch the show without knowing what's gonna happen, and so those who watch the show can read the book without spoiling the show.

I'd read the book and was all excited to see the show.  First episode was half way through when I turned it off.  Too many changes.

Currently reading book 1 of the Rune Alexander series by Laken Cane

#164 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:02 PM

I'd read the book and was all excited to see the show.  First episode was half way through when I turned it off.  Too many changes.

Currently reading book 1 of the Rune Alexander series by Laken Cane

But that's the thing, it's not supposed to be the same story, at all :p

#165 Chameleon

Chameleon
  • vampire or somesuch

• 627 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:15 PM

But that's the thing, it's not supposed to be the same story, at all :p

Then change the names and title :p

#166 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:29 PM

Then change the names and title :p

Too many names to change :p I like that idea, though. I want to read the book and watch the show, and I prefer to have completely different stories than be like GoT, where the story changes more and more with time hahah

#167 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:30 PM

I'm reading A Scanner Darkly by Philip K Dick rn. I like it. If anyone has recommendations on good mindfuck books hmu please.

Also I second The Dark Tower series.

#168 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:46 PM

I'm reading A Scanner Darkly by Philip K Dick rn. I like it. If anyone has recommendations on good mindfuck books hmu please.

Also I second The Dark Tower series.

I don't know if they're really mindfucks but Dark Places by Gillian Flynn and Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn are both pretty good. I enjoyed Dark Places more than Gone Girl, really. Apparently it's going to be/is a movie now 

#169 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:45 PM

If anyone has recommendations on good mindfuck books hmu please.

House of Leaves. /thread

But more seriously, I just read this short story from the nineteenth century in my (hopefully, fingers crossed, praise gupta) last university literature course. Rebecca Harding Davis wrote "Life in the Iron-Mills" 150 years ago, and it's still chilling and surreal. Not surreal in the artistic sense, but it's surreal how much of today you see in her depiction of the past. She was one of the first to write in the realist mode, and to depict the so-called lower classes in anything close to their actual existence.

Also Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things is a neat little collection. I know Joe has read some of his stuff (Good Omens at least) so I know he'd like it, but you should as well. It's not quite as well known as his novels.

As for me, I'm reading from The Odyssey as well as from Jorge Luis Borges' Collected Fictions. The Odyssey because I keep reading these strains of thought elsewhere that revolve around this idea of "the classical education" in latin and greek classic texts. I've read the Iliad before (in translation, before anyone asks), and I've read bits of the Odyssey, but never strait through, and never outside of the context of schoolwork. If it goes easily enough in my newly acquired free time, I might tackle Virgil or, well, starting at the top of this page and working my way down. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself if I don't have to regurgitate Emily Dickinson on command.

JLB is in there, well, because he's a badass. He's got this swanky style, and he mixes in SO much historical detail that it's hard to tell where the fact ends and the fiction begins. That is as it should be, I think.

#170 majestictuna

majestictuna
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:10 PM

Love me some Neil Gaiman, on a whim I had to read his children's story, Coraline. Read the whole thing in the bathtub, came out looking like a sad, nude raisin. Currently working on Neverwhere, its my bedtime book. I recently just discovered my own favorite short story, Bullet in the Brain by Tobias Wolff- super duper popular, but I can just love the vivid imagery in it. One of those that's stuck with me and randomly pops in my head, "They is, they is, they is..."

I will definitely have to nab The Dome from my sister than hit up The Dark Tower series. I have ONLY heard great things about these.

Another classic post-apocalyptic book, read it aloud to my husband when we moved across the US, The Road. Great book. I'm sure most of you guys have read it though :)

#171 pancakeface

pancakeface
  • 769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:32 PM

Can I just pause and ask how do you guys find the time? I literally have a crate of books to read. Literally. But I haven't been able to even make a dent in it because I do so much reading for school that I'm not in any place to read after that.

Also, on the topic of Neil Gaiman, the top of that book crate is a Neil Gaiman book but it's been so long I don't even remember. It's the one I got after Anansi Boys but Idk the title.

#172 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:19 AM

Also Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things is a neat little collection. I know Joe has read some of his stuff (Good Omens at least) so I know he'd like it, but you should as well. It's not quite as well known as his novels.

I've read me some Gaiman too, y'know!  Actually more than Joe, he's only read the one (plus a few of the Sandman volumes).  I've read The Ocean at the End of the Lane, American Gods, Neverwhere, and Interworld (with Michael Reaves - which was very obviously not a pure Gaiman book but still quite interesting).  Also, Fortunately, the Milk with my girls.  But not the Fragile Things collection - I'll check it out.

Can I just pause and ask how do you guys find the time? I literally have a crate of books to read. Literally. But I haven't been able to even make a dent in it because I do so much reading for school that I'm not in any place to read after that.

Also, on the topic of Neil Gaiman, the top of that book crate is a Neil Gaiman book but it's been so long I don't even remember. It's the one I got after Anansi Boys but Idk the title.

I always have a book with me.  If I show up a few minutes early for work, I read in the car.  I read on my lunch break (while eating and also while walking in the park, which everyone thinks is amazing for some reason).  I read before bed.  Occasionally I'll read during Chill Time (the 1 hour my kids get to watch TV before they go to bed) if the girls haven't chosen to learn for chill time instead (pick a topic and we talk about it and look up videos and pictures on the internet).  I read before I go to sleep.  On the weekends, if I have some free time, I read.  Basically, it's what I do instead of looking at my phone all the time like everyone else.

If you have to read a lot for school, I can see how that would take up a lot of the free time that you could be using to read for pleasure, though.

#173 majestictuna

majestictuna
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:26 AM

I've pretty much got the same routine as @Nymh. I rarely get in a good few hours of reading, now it's usually some here for twenty, another here for ten.

#174 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2015 - 01:21 PM

Let me know how you like Unbroken! The film was so powerful and I'd love to read more in depth into Louie's story. Amazing man.

You have to read the book. Reading the books always gives you so much more detail and perspective into what they went through. I started crying during a few parts. I had respect for veterans before but now I just have sooooooo much more. Possibly my favorite book of all time lol 

And basically, everything I have ever gone through pales in comparison to what he and the other POWs went through. I feel like if they could live through that, I can do anything. 

#175 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:49 PM

You have to read the book. Reading the books always gives you so much more detail and perspective into what they went through. I started crying during a few parts. I had respect for veterans before but now I just have sooooooo much more. Possibly my favorite book of all time lol 

And basically, everything I have ever gone through pales in comparison to what he and the other POWs went through. I feel like if they could live through that, I can do anything.

Ahhh that's so lovely to hear! I love books that can truly affect people, whether it be in a good or bad way. I've been known to leave little water crinkles on books from crying, so I'll be sure to grab a tissue before reading haha.

I agree with the respect for vets. My family tells me a lot about their friends who were POWs and wow do these people go through hell for their country. Amazing perseverance. I can't wait to read this book. So happy you loved it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users