Astronomy

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:32 PM

Does anyone here have an interest in Astronomy? I grew up away from city lights (on a farm), so getting a good view of the night sky was pretty easy for me. Nowadays, not so much. :p

Here's a couple pictures I took with my sister's DSLR camera and my telescope last year (Newtonian reflector, 200 mm aperture):

Moon:

k0gVdBE.png

Saturn (very faint, but you can still see the rings - EDIT: the green is probably from bad color balance :p):

iYmlWOo.jpg

#2 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:38 PM

i do love astronomy but i don't go outside watching the sky and stuff because of mosquitoes lol. besides, here the sky is always cloudy.

those photos are amazing!! nice job!! :D

is saturn really green? O_o

#3 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:40 PM

is saturn really green? O_o

No, I think the color balance was off when I took the photo.

#4 EvilBunnyFooFoo

EvilBunnyFooFoo
  • 86 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:49 PM

I took astronomy in college.. I loved it. Nice pictures :)

#5 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:14 PM

Wow they are cool photos! I used to love looking  through the telescope at the moon! Now i am fascinated with Galaxies beyond the milky way... it blows my mind!!

Wow they are cool photos! I used to love looking  through the telescope at the moon! Now i am fascinated with Galaxies beyond the milky way... it blows my mind!!

#6 Unmata

Unmata
  • 714 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:24 PM

Yep!

One of my favorite things was drive out of the city and star gaze with friends. My daughter is named after one of the stars in the Pleiades.

#7 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:21 AM

Nice, Cam.

How long did you have to expose the camera to get a pic of Saturn?

#8 Mathilda

Mathilda
  • 199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:43 AM

Awww yeaaaah, since I live in a hellhole of a city, we can see the sky super well!!!

We have bi-annual meteor shower, the milky way, easy-to-see planets/constellation....

I never had a telescope, but knowing me I would have accidentally destroy it in less than 24h....

Do you have a favorite constellation? I personaly really like the Boreal Crown/Courone Boréal/Whatever the fuck it's call in english. It's easy to see, and you get spot it usually early in th night, low on the horizons.

#9 Mandie

Mandie
  • 407 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:32 AM

Love star gazing, but unfortunately I too live in a big city.

#10 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:41 AM

When I lived in Hawaii, I lived in the country where there were no lights so you could clearly see all the stars. And my favorite was certain times of the year you could see the Milky Way plain as day.

#11 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:28 AM

I love going outside and looking at the stars and seeing things like meteor showers and the 'blood moon'. I can't wait til my kids are old enough for me to wake up and drag outside with me.

#12 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:07 AM

Nice, Cam.

How long did you have to expose the camera to get a pic of Saturn?

Good question. I might be able to extract that information from the original picture data, but I just remember playing around with various shutter speeds until I got something. :p

Do you have a favorite constellation? I personaly really like the Boreal Crown/Courone Boréal/Whatever the fuck it's call in english. It's easy to see, and you get spot it usually early in th night, low on the horizons.

Hmm, probably the Big Dipper, or Orion. :p Also, I believe it is called "Corona Borealis", in English anyway.

#13 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:16 AM

Oh, definitely! I'm actually taking our astronomy class next year. Sadly, we won't have the planetarium anymore though. I can see constellations sometimes, it depends on how clear the sky is of lights and such.

#14 sixkitties

sixkitties
  • 90 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:08 PM

Oh, I love it.

I've had two classes in it already (i'm an expert, let's face it), but I love to sit and find the constellations. 

Your moon picture is beautiful, and saturn looks so cool (my favorite planet).

#15 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:59 PM

So a meteor was discovered in 2004 and tonight is the first night we (might be able to see a meteor shower from it, the Camelopardalids. (There also might not be anything, since it's newer... it might take another year or two or disappear.) The predicted best place to watch is US/Canada, but here's a link to help determine the best times for the rest of the world.

I'm going to watch even though it's iffy, just because it's Friday and warm outside. 

#16 Alyeena

Alyeena
  • *brohoof*

• 81 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:49 PM

Wow those pictures are really nice.

I grew up (mostly) on a farm too, so I do love the night sky as well. And always watched the meteor showers every year.

I live in a city now, so not many stars to view unfortunately.

#17 bellabrianne

bellabrianne
  • 132 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:57 PM

Awesome pics! I actually am from the city so I never really got to see a lot of stars and get into astronomy but my husband is from a farm town and I have to say the view is amazing in his hometown

#18 Bee

Bee
  • 1169 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:07 PM

I'm obsessed with astronomy. London's a shitty place for stargazing but I'm joining this club that uses Regent's Park on good nights.

So a meteor was discovered in 2004 and tonight is the first night we (might be able to see a meteor shower from it, the Camelopardalids. (There also might not be anything, since it's newer... it might take another year or two or disappear.) The predicted best place to watch is US/Canada, but here's a link to help determine the best times for the rest of the world.

I'm going to watch even though it's iffy, just because it's Friday and warm outside.

I read about this and got all excited until I saw the predicted best places to see it. It will be after sunrise here so I'm hoping that the ISS HDEV stream might catch it, which I doubt.

#19 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:41 AM

It was way too cloudy last night to see anything where I was. Did anyone else catch it?

#20 Unmata

Unmata
  • 714 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:50 PM

I brought the whole family outside for them last night. It was really clear but we didnt see the meteor shower. Still super fun to watch our littlest share our excitement and point at stars, gasp/shout out etc.

#21 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:59 PM

Nice pictures.  I have an older Celestron Nexstar reflecting telescope, not sure what model or aperture or anything else that would help identify it, and I have not used it as much as I would like.  Last time I used it I managed to view Saturn, which was an achievement for me.  Yeah... I need to use it more.

#22 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:32 PM

A Friday the 13th 'Honey Moon' tonight/tomorrow morning for North America!

#23 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:39 PM

First 'super moon' of the year, y'all, tonight.

#24 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:22 AM

Delta Aquarids. Apparently, this is the meteor shower that's projected to be the best of the summer. Usually the Perseids are better, but they're going to be with a full moon this year.

#25 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:20 PM

Partial Solar Eclipse tomorrow North America

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users