15 replies to this topic

#1 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:10 AM

Baton Pass

This thread is dedicated to explaining what Baton Pass is, how it's used, what you can do to counter it, and what you can do to use it more effectively. Baton Pass a type of FOCUSED teams that focus on using the move to set up their other Pokemon. The move itself transfers over the stat changes of the Pokemon, as well as Substitutes and others modifiers:

• Increases in Accuracy, Attack, Critical Hit %, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed.
    • Swords Dance
    • Shell Smash
    • Rock Polish
    • Speed Boost Ability
    • Bulk-Up
    • Iron Defense
    • Quiver Dance
    • Focus Energy
    • Etc
  • Decreases in Accuracy, Attack, Critical Hit %, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed.
    • Tail Whip (lol)
    • Sand Attack
    • Screech
    • Confide
    • Mudslap
    • Flash
    • Etc
  • Non-stat modifiers:
    • Substitute (with current Sub HP)
    • Reflect
    • Light Screen
    • Safeguard
    • Magic Coat
    • Mean Look
    • Etc
  • Healing Moves.
    • Aqua Ring
    • Ingrain
  • Status Conditions:
    • Confusion
    • Curse from Ghost Type

So as you can see there are quite a lot of stats, conditions, and benefits that can be transferred with the Baton Pass move to another Pokemon on your team. The basic strategy involves something like this:

Scolipede uses Swords Dance

Scolipede +1 Spe from Speed Boost Ability

NEXT TURN

Scolipede uses Protect

Scolipede +1 Spe from Speed Boost Ability

NEXT TURN

Scolipede uses Baton Pass

USER selects Dragonite

Dragonite has x2 Att and x2 Spe

And that's what makes Baton Pass a strong supporting move for many teams. There are other strategies involved in using a Baton Pass team but the basic idea is you take the benefits from Pokemon A and give them to Pokemon B.

COUNTER

What can you do to counter a Baton Pass team? There are several things but the primary things you can do is Taunt, Whirlwind, and Roar. As these moves have the most direct effect and force the boosted Pokemon to switch out or otherwise not use non-damaging moves (Taunt). Most teams can squeeze in a counter move or two and some teams Taunt to start the battle off in order to prevent an early set up. Roar is a sound based move and works with Substitute in place. HOWEVER!!!! Both Whirlwind and Roar can be bounced back by an opponent who has the Magic Bounce ability or uses the move Magic Coat. One final note is the if your opponent is using the move Ingrain they can't be forced out through either of these moves but Taunt keeps them from using that move in the first place.

#2 2b4saken

2b4saken
  • Joe-like

• 54 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:35 PM

Apparently there's talk on smogon about either banning or limiting the number of times you can baton pass in a chain.

#3 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:37 PM

Apparently there's talk on smogon about either banning or limiting the number of times you can baton pass in a chain.

There's a full blown suspect test for it right now actually.

#4 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:38 PM

There's a full blown suspect test for it right now actually.

I hope it isn't banned...I never use it, but most chains can be easily broken with a balanced team and decent predictions.

#5 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:52 AM

I hope it isn't banned...I never use it, but most chains can be easily broken with a balanced team and decent predictions.

Some people feel they shouldn't have to have a dedicated "chain"/pass breaker. I personally love abusing it. Shell Smash twice and Baton Pass to a Dragonite and you can sweep most teams besides priority users and even then the best they can hope for is to status inflict to slow you down, sacrificing one of their Pass Breakers, and then hit you with a STAB.

A new OU suspect test has begun! In the continued effort to create a balanced metagame, the OU tiering council has decided to test full Baton Pass chains. Those who are interested in voting in this test are required to achieve a COIL of 2700 or higher on the OU (suspect test) ladder. Head to this thread to read the full announcement and discuss it with other users!

#6 Tailwind

Tailwind
  • Win points = 2,235,563

• 2576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:26 PM

Some people feel they shouldn't have to have a dedicated "chain"/pass breaker.

Gone are the days when they simply told people to "get a Hazer/Phazer" or to "get over it". Instead all they want to do is whine about having their precious synergy screwed with.

Play VGC and say screw Smogon's rulesets. Much more fun.

#7 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:02 PM

Gone are the days when they simply told people to "get a Hazer/Phazer" or to "get over it". Instead all they want to do is whine about having their precious synergy screwed with.

Word. They banned swagger. SWAGGER!

It's annoying how people just want anything they consider "overpowered" to be banned.

I understood Genesect and Mega-Lucario..but this is ridiculous.

Some people feel they shouldn't have to have a dedicated "chain"/pass breaker. I personally love abusing it. Shell Smash twice and Baton Pass to a Dragonite and you can sweep most teams besides priority users and even then the best they can hope for is to status inflict to slow you down, sacrificing one of their Pass Breakers, and then hit you with a STAB.

If people can't break YOUR chain, they suck.

Countering a smeargle is easy.

#8 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

If people can't break YOUR chain, they suck.

Countering a smeargle is easy.

If someone is foolish enough to let me set that up they kinda deserve to get swept. Js.

#9 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:01 PM

When you think of Baton Pass users what are the first Pokemon that come to mind?

#10 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:02 PM

Uh.

Smeargle?

#11 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:19 PM

Are you trying to prove a point...?

#12 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:39 PM

When you think of Baton Pass users what are the first Pokemon that come to mind?

Blaziken

#13 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:56 PM

Blaziken

Smeargle and Scolipede were the first two that came to mind for me. I was just kind of curious who everyone thought of when thinking of regular baton pass users.

#14 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:46 PM

Smeargle and Scolipede were the first two that came to mind for me. I was just kind of curious who everyone thought of when thinking of regular baton pass users.

My Blaziken is mine, I love that thing, passing on x4 speed to dragonite. that thing just sweeps like no tomorrow, if you get a dragon dance in. Hoo boy.

#15 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:02 PM

Ran out of ideas? lol

#16 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:47 PM

Ran out of ideas? lol

Actually I was updating my blog post and wanted relevant common Baton Users to toss on there.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: move, pokemon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users