• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:30 PM

Basically, my phone, a Samsung Galaxy S3, won't play music any more, either through speaker or headphones.

The only sound I can get out of it is through a 100W bass amp, and it makes Muse sound like death metal, with all the crackling and distorton and schizz. I've tried replacing the headphone jack and all that jazz, but it still doesn't work even with the replacement part.

The problem first arose during band practice - I think I broke it when I plugged it into the headphone jack on my bass amp, with bass guitar and electronic drums going into it + no compression or noise limiting. I don't know if what I'm about to say makes any sense, but I think the amplitude of the signal going into it probably burnt it out somehow? But, it could easily as well have conked out beforehand. I just don't know. :/

I'm pretty sure it's a hardware problem, as when I set it to play whilst the volume is set as high as possible, the haptic feedback works, but no sound comes out.

So, your thoughts on how I can fix it?

#2 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 May 2014 - 06:22 PM

Did you damage it in any way?

#3 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:57 AM

Did you damage it in any way?

Well, apart from that thing I mentioned in the OP with the amplifier, no.

Unless you count the time where I dropped it in the bath, the time I dropped it at rugby practice and the screen broke, the time where I tried to replace the screen and broke the connector that only green, and a small amount of red and blue shows up, the time I managed to brick my eMMC, the time my screen shattered trying to get off the bus, the time I tried to fix the front glass and then broke hit the digitzer...

Seriously though, I drop it all the time; I don't reckon it could be that, unless it only takes so many drops. :/

#4 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

Seriously though, I drop it all the time; I don't reckon it could be that, unless it only takes so many drops. :/

Yeah :/
Some parts can only take so much abuse. Could be something as simple as a soldered wire coming loose.

#5 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 803 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:07 PM

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#6 Xstorm

Xstorm
  • 27 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:05 AM

Could be that you're right about the jack getting burnt out. Otherwise its probably internal damage from all the drops. My GNex was dropped once while headphones were plugged in and it never sounded quite the same since. Hope you found out whats wrong tho.

#7 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:04 AM

Yes, I have turned it on and off again. :l

Cheers for the help guys; I figure I'll sign up to xda-developers, hopefully I'll have some luck there finding someone else who's encountered this problem. It's most likely completely buggered though. ;_; For now, I'll borrow a friend's old S3. :)

That is, until I can get a OnePlus One... <3

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: phone, broken, music, crying

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users