Royal Resignations

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 EverKaia

EverKaia
  • 374 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:58 PM

Note: I am NOT trying to make this a political debate on whether we still need royals. I don't have the power to kick you to the curb for violating this rule, so please be nice.

Do you like the idea of royals resigning in favor of their middle-aged children?

I guess it's pretty well become traditional in the Netherlands, so Queen Beatrix stepping down in favor of Willem-Alexander and Maxima was nothing unusual. I don't remember if I heard about King Albert abdicating for Philippe and Mathilde (in Belgium), but I was definitely reminded of it with the latest news.

I'm both excited and apprehensive about King Juan Carlos retiring and letting Felipe and Letizia take the throne. My excitement comes in because I've been pretty well attached to Spain since I took Spanish in high school*, so the opportunity to get fresh blood in the mix is enticing. What my concern is, is that despite the fact that it's 2014, Los Cortes Generales isn't going to get off its collective duff and change male-centric primogeniture the way Great Britain did in preparation for the fact that Will and Kate might have had a daughter first. I realize that's what happened last time, when Elena and Cristina were passed over for their younger brother, but that doesn't mean it should happen again. The first born of the heir should always be made Prince/ss of Asturias when the time comes, regardless of their gender. I realize that Felipe is the oldest of the royal grandchildren, but Leonor is the eldest child of the man who will be king in the next few months. I'll be quite upset if Leonor doesn't become crown princess.

</rant>

~~~

*I also think I had a past life in Spain, but that's a story for another time.

#2 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:04 PM

If they don't feel that they're able to fulfil their public obligations any more then I, personally, think it's noble of them to accept that and to hand over to somebody who is able. Especially given that royals are really mainly tourist attractions these days so they need to be able to be seen by people.

#3 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:07 PM

I like Letizia. She's always good tabloid fodder for looking pretty at big European events. Which is all I ask of the Royals.

#4 EverKaia

EverKaia
  • 374 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:10 PM

+1 rep!

While I'd like to see Queen Elizabeth resign, (1) it's not right for her to resign just for the sake of resigning and (2) she's a tough old gal! (And I mean that in a nice, kickass way!) Plus I'm not sure what kind of king Charles would make. :p

@Ali Yahoo (US) just noticed her "style" in an article the other day...that's how I found out about su majestad stepping down, actually. It's like, "Hello?! I've thought she was pretty for ages! You've just been too sucked into the British royals!"

I don't know why we've never paid attention to the Spanish royals. We should give equal attention to all the world's royals. ^_^

Edited by Novelista, 06 June 2014 - 05:11 PM.

#5 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

@Ali Yahoo (US) just noticed her "style" in an article the other day...that's how I found out about su majestad stepping down, actually. It's like, "Hello?! I've thought she was pretty for ages! You've just been too sucked into the British royals!"

I don't know why we've never paid attention to the Spanish royals. We should give equal attention to all the world's royals. ^_^

The Danes are my favourites. Such a beaut family. Frederik and Mary met in a pub, couple after my own heart.

Princess Anne is the only one of ours I have any fondness for.

#6 EverKaia

EverKaia
  • 374 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

adore romance. *sigh*

Wiki has a photo of Queen Margarethe from two years ago and she looks absolutely lovely. Very professor-ly and smart. ^_^

#7 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:24 PM

Princess Anne is the only one of ours I have any fondness for.

Same, actually.

Heavy smoker, fined for driving 93 mph and also for having a dog that attacks children, her children don't have titles, and she doesn't give a damn about looking proper.

I can't say definitively that I don't like the rest of the Windsors (because there are so many of them) but I can say that Anne is alright.

I like the Thai king, and the Japanese Emperor. But I don't know much about other European monarchies.

#8 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:28 PM

Same, actually.

Heavy smoker, fined for driving 93 mph and also for having a dog that attacks children, her children don't have titles, and she doesn't give a damn about looking proper.

I can't say definitively that I don't like the rest of the Windsors (because there are so many of them) but I can say that Anne is alright.

Nearly got kidnapped and told her would-be kidnapper "not bloody likely". What a woman.

#9 EverKaia

EverKaia
  • 374 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:16 PM

I did not know that about Princess Anne! Wow, way to thumb your nose at convention! :D

I don't know much about the Thai king or the Japanese emperor, save for the way the emperor (and/or the Diet) was like, "Let's put off changing our primogeniture...until...oh, look! Princess So-and-So has a son!"

*growl*

As a semi-diversion (RedLion made me think of this), I like learning that people from novels/movies are real. Like I'm pretty sure I didn't know Anna Leonowens was real until long after I'd seen The King and I.

I think what really blew me away was learning that the musketeers were based on actual historical figures. (I discovered that a few years ago.) Along that line, I just learned that "the man in the iron mask" was real, except it was a velvet mask. O.o

Started reading about the Danish royals thanks to @Ali. I don't even like LotR, but Queen Margrethe gets major geek points in my book for not only having helped illustrate the Danish edition of LotR in the 70s, but for supposedly having helped translate it into Danish, too.

Nerdtastic!

#10 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:20 PM

You might as well keep QEII out of this conversation because the word 'abdication' is actually banned from being mentioned in her presence. Also, since her uncle abdicated and then her Fathers reign was very short it is pretty much known that she has no choice but to rule until death because of the tarnished face of the Windsor family. 

I do believe that Charles will make a great king if he gets the chance but he's been known to make remarks about how he doesn't know if he will ever ascend to make a difference. 

#11 jonis

jonis
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:28 AM

I'd like it better if monarchy was removed all together in my country. :p

But yes, I'm in favour of letting the "younger" generation take the throne. At least where I'm from it is becoming very clear that our King's ideas about the way of the world are very outdated.

#12 EverKaia

EverKaia
  • 374 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:01 AM

You might as well keep QEII out of this conversation because the word 'abdication' is actually banned from being mentioned in her presence.

I was not aware of that. Hmm.

Her uncle married Wallis Simpson, correct? And...*goes to consult her royals book*...ooo. Cancer. Uck. :(

#13 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:25 AM

You might as well keep QEII out of this conversation because the word 'abdication' is actually banned from being mentioned in her presence. Also, since her uncle abdicated and then her Fathers reign was very short it is pretty much known that she has no choice but to rule until death because of the tarnished face of the Windsor family. 

I do believe that Charles will make a great king if he gets the chance but he's been known to make remarks about how he doesn't know if he will ever ascend to make a difference. 

Interesting, I've never heard that 'abdication' is banned in her presence, where did you hear that? I don't think the Windsor family is perceived as tarnished in any way though, very few people actually know about what happened with Edward these days (and even fewer care) and George VI's reign wasn't that short so that wouldn't be held against them anyway (I don't even know why anybody would think him dying would tarnish anything, he could hardly have helped it :p).

#14 EverKaia

EverKaia
  • 374 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:31 AM

Reminds me of a meme I saw after Benedict XVI resigned. Half of it had the pope and something about him getting too old and the other half was QEII saying, "Really? That's cute." xD

Nah. As I said earlier in the thread, she's a tough old bird (in a good way) who would hang on out of sheer stubborness. Especially with all these younger monarchs resigning. :D

#15 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:33 AM

The only place I've read about it being banned is from books her former staff and other biographies that have been written. Also yay for Prince Philip being the oldest consort in British history. Very neat. I really hope QEII makes it to her platinum and then gives it to Charles haha even though he'll be super old. 

#16 EverKaia

EverKaia
  • 374 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:18 AM

93 this year! Wow, speaking of good genetics! *whistles*

Let's see...sixty-first year of reign as of ten days ago. So her platinum would be 2023? And that would make her...97? Holy crap! But the Queen Mother lived to around 103, didn't she? So it's not impossible! :D

#17 Mai

Mai
  • 96 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:35 AM

I actually think it's really nice royals can resign just like anyone else. If they're not up to it, wouldn't it be better to have someone on the throne who gets the job done? And beside that, I think they've earned a break. :p

Also browniepoints: it's like a big party. When the old king / queen dies and the new one suddenly become king / queen, everyone is mourning and there is no party.

#18 EverKaia

EverKaia
  • 374 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:55 AM

Right?! I love it when everyone looks happy. I saw pictures from the Dutch "do" last year and they're all smiling and looking sunny amongst the orange and yellow flowers (and the oranges, for the House of Orange).

I'd love to be in Madrid next week. I bet they'll have a parade and everything. (Or at least a nice procession, like after Kate's wedding.)

#19 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:18 AM

The other day I saw a tabloid that said "DYING QUEEN ABDICATES THRONE, HANDS CROWN TO PRINCE WILLIAM AND PREGNANT WIFE, KATE" lmao

#20 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:34 AM

Interesting, I've never heard that 'abdication' is banned in her presence, where did you hear that? I don't think the Windsor family is perceived as tarnished in any way though, very few people actually know about what happened with Edward these days (and even fewer care) and George VI's reign wasn't that short so that wouldn't be held against them anyway (I don't even know why anybody would think him dying would tarnish anything, he could hardly have helped it :p).

Agreed in full.

While I neither believe nor disbelieve the abdication bit, it seems likely to be more a matter of etiquette than an actual order in council or something.

But I agree with Waser, there's no tarnish on the Windsor name, besides the general not-a-british-family thing where they're all German and whatnot.

#21 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:25 AM

Except for the fact she was born in England to English parents.

#22 EverKaia

EverKaia
  • 374 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

So. Freaking. Cute. ^_^

BqfR3FCIYAA89rG.jpg

King Felipe VI of Spain (crowned today!); Leonor, Princess of Asturias (the one standing, I think) and Princess Sofia. <3

Or it could be the other way around. I'm watching clips from the ceremonies and it's hard to tell who's who...other than they're so darn cute. xD

Edited by LittleTigress, 19 June 2014 - 09:02 PM.

#23 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:56 AM

Blue eyes is Leonor and Brown eyes is Sofia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users