Quantcast

Photo

Photographica Round Two - Voting

voting

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win the popular vote? (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Choose your champion!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:17 AM

This month's theme:

Portraits

(Bonus: not a selfie!)

Entries:
http://s268.photobuc...raphica/Round 2

Spoiler

If you vote, it would be great if you could post some feedback on your choice. Posting feedback on more than that would be extra-great.

Voting will continue until midday EST on Sunday. :)

And if @Stuck and @Applepi could PM me their thoughts for the Judge Selection, that would be swell ;)

#2 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:27 AM

I voted for #3.

It's an absolutely lovely expression and also because it reminded me so much of my girls.

I wish I had time to comment on the other entries as well. :/

Good luck everyone!

#3 Muffin

Muffin
  • 174 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:29 AM

I voted #8 :) That one jumped out at me straight away, colours are so vibrant and that dog is super cute ^_^

#4 Jam

Jam
  • 162 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:35 AM

I just can't say no to baby goats.  :wub:

#5 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

I'm going to attempt to give some basic feedback on all of them. I'm by no means a photographer (and probably misused a lot of terms), so take my opinions with a grain of salt. :p

1. I'm not a fan of flash. The subject is unnaturally brightly lit, while the background is distractingly dark and noisy.
  2. I like the colors a lot, as well as the just slightly off center placement of the subjects. Besides the goats, there isn't really anything interesting in the photo, but I don't think there's anything wrong with that, especially in a portrait. And d'aww, they're cute.
  3. Using the table to frame the bottom of the picture was a smart choice. I like how although the subject is in the corner of the photo, the eye is drawn to her. It might have been better off without the loop things in the foreground or the white shed in the background, but the composition overall is very strong.
  4. There's a lot going on in this photo, which distracts from the subject. The photo feels crowded, to me; it seems like it should be zoomed out.
  5. I like the composition and use of light, but I really don't like selective coloring. It feels gimmicky to me, and I would have much preferred to see a plain b/w version.
  6. The depth of field is great, keeping the busy background from clashing with the subject. I think I would have gotten a stronger sense of the subject's personality if it was a bust shot; his outfit looks interesting!
  7. Nice subject. ;) I think the composition would be greatly improved if the subject wasn't smack in the center. Especially with the background being relatively in-focus, it would help make the subject and background more easily distinguishable.
  8. Puppy! The angle feels kind of weird to me, and I feel like I'm missing some context that could have made the photo more visually interesting.
  9. The lighting seems really weird here; the subject's clothing (and even skin) starts to blend into the background. My eyes are drawn more to the window at the top than the subject himself.
  10. Choosing to have the kitten sideways was an interesting decision, but I keep wanting to turn my head sideways whenever I look at the photo. It also may have also benefitted from a narrower depth of field.

I ended up voting for #3. :)

#6 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:51 AM

Came to post pretty much exactly what Bone said.. Going to give a little feedback on all of the pictures, I haven't voted yet, need to let them sink in more. Also I am not a professional and these are strictly my own opinions, don't read too much into them.

1. looks like a typical photo you would see on facebook/instagram.

2. ANIMALS! Thinking outside the box and not using a portrait of a human, I like it.

3. great picture, the only thing i dont like is the wiring in the front, would have been a solid 10 for if that wasn't there.

4. love the use of black and white in this one, great picture sticking to the theme.

5. I can't tell if this is supposed to be black and white with a splash of color, interesting picture, would have been better if zoomed in more on the dog, the lighting throws me off as it's real dark in spots.

6. beautiful, candid, amazing. I'll probably end up voting for this.

7. You are beautiful, Kat.

8. doggyyy, cute. I like the picture, but feel it's missing something.

9. I see potential, overall it's just too dark.

10. it's so cute and fluffy :D

#7 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

Personal comments about the photographs' subjects will be removed. Judge the photography please.

#8 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

What was the theme?

#9 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

What was the theme?

portraits

#10 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:34 PM

What was the theme?

I'll add that to the voting threads from now on, that's a good point.

#11 anewvision

anewvision
  • 1195 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

Oooo! I can't wait for another one of these! :D I will totally enter!

aaaaaand 3 because, well... she's adorable!

#12 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:14 PM

Unfortunately, someone got overlooked while I was collating the entries. I have added their photo now, and I'd appreciate it if people could take a look and possibly reconsider their votes.
Thankfully, they were smart enough to PM me and not post in the topic :p

#13 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:16 PM

Unfortunately, someone got overlooked while I was collating the entries. I have added their photo now, and I'd appreciate it if people could take a look and possibly reconsider their votes.
Thankfully, they were smart enough to PM me and not post in the topic :p

welp there goes my vote :p

#11  - I love it. little kiddo laughs, he looks so mischievous too.

#14 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:33 PM

#8! Wow, I can just feel happy and carefree pouring from that dog's expression. :)

#15 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:13 PM

Great entries everyone!! I'm very impressed with the quality of photography! 

I've PM'ed Sweeney with my inputs, can't wait to find out who the winner is :)

#16 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:15 PM

Voted for #6

I like the contrast in focus between the subject and the background, and his expression.

Also, that's a mighty fine beard.

#17 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:18 PM

Voted for #6

I like the contrast in focus between the subject and the background, and his expression.

Also, that's a mighty fine beard.

Agreed. That beard :p And it looks like they captured him in the moment, like he's deep in thought.

These are all great entries though. Thanks for hosting, Sweeney!

#18 Chalk

Chalk
  • 311 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:23 PM

Going for 3. Hard choice though, tied with 11.

(Although I probably would have gone with 6 if it hadn't been black and white... the black and whites just seem a little forced too me.)

#19 CaptainDantes

CaptainDantes
  • 1104 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:43 PM

I picked #4. Love the expression. And the fact that it's close up with part of the guitar in the pic makes you imagine what else is there outside of what's shown

#20 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:05 PM

Another late addition -_-
I must have been crazy tired this morning, I don't know how I managed to miss not one, but two submissions.

I can only apologise. Both of the people who got screwed over will be specifically recognised in the results topic.

#21 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:14 PM

Oh, I really like #12. The candid facial expression is great, and although I normally dislike subjects being in the center of the frame, it works really nicely with the background in this photo.

Changed my vote!

#22 Peaches

Peaches
  • 497 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:30 PM

Some good entries! Too keep on the topic of portraits, I like #4 & #12.

#23 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

lol @Sweeney. :doh:

what a great bunch of entries with a variety of subjects and expression! me gusta. i'll PM my thoughts to @Sweeney in a jiffy. :x3:

#24 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

lol @Sweeney. :doh:

Yeah, no kidding xD

#25 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:04 PM

GJ Sweeney!

#12 another black and white. I think that's one would have looked better in color. Not sure what the background is as it's hard to tell. Great entry though, probably in my too 5 of this round.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: voting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users