• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Tailwind

Tailwind
  • Win points = 2,235,563

• 2576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:29 AM

Rather than have 50 separate threads for each move commonly used in competitive play, @Sweeney and I have decided to condense everything in to one.

Be it Baton Pass, Trick Room, U-Turn, Substitute, or whatever, bring it here and talk strategy and usage. Who knows, you might just come across a trick or two that catches an opponent off guard.

The current threads posted can't be condensed in to this thread due to when they were made, however for convenience's sake, here they are regardless. You're welcome to continue any discussions from them in here, though.

Entry Hazards (Spikes, Toxic Spikes, etc)

Baton Pass
Trick Room

#2 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:30 AM

Yeah! Decision!
(I know nothing about competitive smogonning)

#3 Tailwind

Tailwind
  • Win points = 2,235,563

• 2576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:30 AM

Yeah! Decision!
(I know nothing about competitive smogonning)

Eh screw Smogon. VGC is where it's at. :p

#4 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:32 AM

See!? :crybaby:

#5 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:34 AM

Rather than have 50 separate threads for each move commonly used in competitive play, @Sweeney and I have decided to condense everything in to one.

Be it Baton Pass, Trick Room, U-Turn, Substitute, or whatever, bring it here and talk strategy and usage. Who knows, you might just come across a trick or two that catches an opponent off guard.

There should be dedicated comprehensive threads for certain moves, items, abilities, and/or strategy. While it isn't a bad idea to have a general discussion for all of these I don't think it needs to be condensed into a single thread.

#6 Tailwind

Tailwind
  • Win points = 2,235,563

• 2576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:36 AM

There should be dedicated comprehensive threads for certain moves, items, abilities, and/or strategy. While it isn't a bad idea to have a general discussion for all of these I don't think it needs to be condensed into a single thread.

It's just silly to have 50 threads detailing each and every move that is used in high-level play. It's rather spammy overall and makes the forum look cluttered.

It'd be like having a new thread for each and every random Pokémon romhack we came across that we liked.

#7 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:38 AM

It's just silly to have 50 threads detailing each and every move that is used in high-level play. It's rather spammy overall and makes the forum look cluttered.

It'd be like having a new thread for each and every random Pokémon romhack we came across that we liked.

It's a Pokemon sub-forum.

You can only have so many threads about your favorite Pokemon or what you'd use as your starter.

The moves, strategies, items, and abilities are the dynamic that should be in dedicated threads.

It seems far more spammy imo to reduce the sub-forum into a thread.

#8 Tailwind

Tailwind
  • Win points = 2,235,563

• 2576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:42 AM

It's a Pokemon sub-forum.

You can only have so many threads about your favorite Pokemon or what you'd use as your starter.

The moves, strategies, items, and abilities are the dynamic that should be in dedicated threads.

It seems far more spammy imo to reduce the sub-forum into a thread.

We're not moving every single thread in the subforum into this one, we're just trying to condense the amount of different competitive move threads there are. On top of that there's a ton of various things you can post about when it comes to Pokémon. Just because all you think is possible is the favorite Pokémon threads or what you'd use as a starter doesn't make it so.

#9 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:55 AM

We're not moving every single thread in the subforum into this one, we're just trying to condense the amount of different competitive move threads there are. On top of that there's a ton of various things you can post about when it comes to Pokémon. Just because all you think is possible is the favorite Pokémon threads or what you'd use as a starter doesn't make it so.

What exactly is the point of the Pokemon Subforum then?

I can't seem to comprehend why anyone thinking it's a good idea to condense these into a single thread. They need dedicated threads. A general discussion thread is a good idea but they do not need condensed imo.

#10 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:00 AM

They need to? Tell me that when they have enough dedicated activity to warrant it.

#11 Tailwind

Tailwind
  • Win points = 2,235,563

• 2576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:02 AM

I can't seem to comprehend why anyone thinking it's a good idea to condense these into a single thread. They need dedicated threads. A general discussion thread is a good idea but they do not need condensed imo.

The only other thing I can think of is just making a competitive Pokémon subforum and dumping everything in there. Though that wasn't suggested to me, certainly not by Sweeney and not by you, either. This thread just seemed like a good idea to prevent a surplus of threads that in the end discuss the same thing overall: moves used in the high-level area of play. They're all technically on the same subject.

The threads themselves do not have enough activity in them to stand on their own. In the end it just seems like you want them to have their own threads so you have more fodder to add to the directory.

#12 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:06 AM

It's exactly why I made my Nintendo General thread. There isn't enough ongoing discussion to warrant a thread for every game. It's slow enough that conversations can happen without posts being lost in the activity.

#13 Tailwind

Tailwind
  • Win points = 2,235,563

• 2576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:08 AM

It's exactly why I made my Nintendo General thread. There isn't enough ongoing discussion to warrant a thread for every game. It's slow enough that conversations can happen without posts being lost in the activity.

Exactly.

#14 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

So...pokemon right?

I sure hate those Stealth Rocks....

#15 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:35 AM

I also hate smogon. While I acknowledge the utility and referential aspects of Smogon, I feel like people use them WAY too seriously and sometimes fail to see some much potential some move sets have that are greatly overshadowed by what Smogon dictates as good. For example, I love my Counter+focus sash Scizor. Even @Ivysaur was surprised that I used such a set and it worked well once.

So...pokemon right?

I sure hate those Stealth Rocks....

*won the last Codex Pokemon Tournament partly because of stealth rocks*

#16 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:40 AM

I also hate smogon. While I acknowledge the utility and referential aspects of Smogon, I feel like people use them WAY too seriously and sometimes fail to see some much potential some move sets have that are greatly overshadowed by what Smogon dictates as good. For example, I love my Counter+focus sash Scizor. Even @Ivysaur was surprised that I used such a set and it worked well once.

Yes! I mean..in retrospect, it makes so much sense! A bulky pokemon like Scizor using counter. PERFECT.

I only dislike Smogon because I feel they're holding everyone's hand by being so ban crazy. Swagger? Baton Pass?

Ugh.

*shakes fist*

#17 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:02 PM

There's a reason I refuse to run a set that doesn't include Defog or Rapid Spin. :p

(Unless it's a set dedicated to abusing entry hazards, of course.)

#18 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:05 PM

Good thing new Pokemon games come out pretty frequently then, huh? :p

#19 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

Good thing new Pokemon games come out pretty frequently then, huh? :p

I cannot wait for the annual release and 10 post thread!

#20 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:19 PM

I cannot wait for the annual release and 10 post thread!

Dang I can't wait either!! But I guess if there are more spinoff games then that'll be good too!! Like I can't wait for the next PMD!! And Pokken Fighters is probably gonna be pretty fun tooo~ :3 <3

#21 Honchkrow

Honchkrow
  • 908 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:27 PM

I really like running this Yanmega set:

Modest

252 Sp A / 252 Spe / 4 Hp

Wide Lens

Air Slash

Bug Buzz

Hp Ice / Protect

Hypnosis

Its fun to throw people off with hypnosis.

#22 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:27 PM

The voting phase for Baton Pass has ended. Players in OU are no longer allowed to have more than 3 Baton Pass users on their teams. After lengthy discussion, theSwagger ban was also extended to Ubers. In the lower tiers, Froslass has been banned from RU, Volcarona and Alakazite removed from UU, and Staraptor is currently up for suspect voting. Stick aroundhere for updates on the results soon!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

#23 Tailwind

Tailwind
  • Win points = 2,235,563

• 2576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:09 AM

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

This is why Smogon sucks in general, just saying. Anything that threatens their precious hyper offense teams or sand teams gets the boot.

#24 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:29 AM

This is why Smogon sucks in general, just saying. Anything that threatens their precious hyper offense teams or sand teams gets the boot.

It's annoying as fuck.

Deoxys D and S are up for "suspect testing" too. They aren't even that good.

#25 Derpy

Derpy
  • 134 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

I can appreciate some of Smogon's views on certain things. However, and I'm completely biased as aegislash is a staple to my team, they're now considering moving aegislash to ubers.

Please not my precious swords Smogon :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users