Quantcast

Photo

Codex Pokebattle Royale ROUND 3 Discussion!

pokemon battle tournament

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Poll: Codex Pokebattle Royale

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

What tier/meta should round 3 focus on?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:23 PM

Lanzar_Pokeball.gifCodex Pokebattle Royale Round 3!Lanzar_Pokeball.gif

Hello again guys!

There are 3 things I want to discuss with you!

1) Are you guys interested in a 3rd round?  ;)

2) If so, what tier/meta would you guys like? I'm open to ideas!

3) I really disliked how long the last tournament took. You guys have any Tournament format ideas? 

Please voice your opinions and complaints!!

I'll add a small poll once I gather a few opinions :p

treecko.pngmudkip.pngtorchic.png

#2 ceterisparibus

ceterisparibus
  • 485 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:50 PM

I suggest VGC! It's a much more varied one compared to singles.

For torny ideas, i think it may be better to have a round-robin format unless we don't have enough members. I think its really important to have enough people for this (sorry, wasn't around for the last round)

#3 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:29 PM

I am very interested in a third round because I wasn't able to compete in the previous 2 rounds! As for the tournament format, I'd have no idea to be honest.

#4 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:38 PM

Ummm.

I would be interested if there wasn't always one of these going on. Like I get that you're really into pokemon, and that these are popular contests.

But it gets my gourd that I can't tell how many of these contests you've already done. It feels like one continuous battle royale has been going on for MONTHS now.

#5 Chappy

Chappy
  • Cat Savage

• 2341 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:52 PM

But it gets my gourd that I can't tell how many of these contests you've already done. It feels like one continuous battle royale has been going on for MONTHS now.

I think there has only been 2. I may be down for a 3rd, but I think they contests are just really long. We should have it formatted like the first one where if you lose your gone. Perhaps also have a small break so they are more clear  maybe? :3 I think it would help because I agree with Redlion on how long that battle was.

#6 Tailwind

Tailwind
  • Win points = 2,235,563

• 2576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:16 AM

VGC single round elimination would probably be best to allow for variance and also quickness.

#7 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:26 AM

Single elimination random battles, with 2/3 wins needed to win against a person.

If opponent doesn't respond at all to the challengers PM's within a time slot, then there should be an automatic forfeit rule.

#8 Tailwind

Tailwind
  • Win points = 2,235,563

• 2576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:03 AM

Single elimination random battles, with 2/3 wins needed to win against a person.

If opponent doesn't respond at all to the challengers PM's within a time slot, then there should be an automatic forfeit rule.

Single elimination and best of x are different tournament styles... unless of course you mean it's single elimination until we hit the top 4 or 2 then it switches to best of.

#9 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:08 AM

Ummm.

I would be interested if there wasn't always one of these going on. Like I get that you're really into pokemon, and that these are popular contests.

Yes, we need beginning and ending dates, please! :p

(Mostly because I want to be able to put it on the Calendar of Events)

Why not try something like with the Hearthstone Tournament? Like with a bracket system. Or would that not work?

#10 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:09 AM

I want to enter again, mainly cause I'm bitter about last time. 

#11 Keil

Keil

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:46 AM

Single elimination and best of x are different tournament styles... unless of course you mean it's single elimination until we hit the top 4 or 2 then it switches to best of.

Nope. I meant what I said.

In the last tournament, if you lost against one person, you can still reach the finals if you beat enough people in total. In my idea of a tournament, if you lose to someone in one match you're out. That's single elimination. The win 2/3 battles is a requirement to win against one person. Also consider that I proposed random battles. The 2/3 battles to win one match is necessary because the Pokemon are random and the battle is based on luck and strategy moreso than preparation.

#12 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:56 AM

I originally though the last tournament's format was a good idea, but it turned out to be harder to implement than anticipated. :/ Keil's suggestion sounds good to me, but it would (effectively) force participants to create more teams than they might need before. But maybe that would prevent people who aren't going to consistently participate from joining.

And as Emily said, hard deadlines could help move things along more quickly. 

As far as which meta to pick, I'm down for anything. :p It would be interesting to see how things turn out with VGC.

#13 ceterisparibus

ceterisparibus
  • 485 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:03 AM

Sorry, i never really got much time to further explain my thoughts. Personally, I'll dig a constant monthly format where we'll all vote on the preference of the month. Given that we don't have that many participants, it may not be easy to get a substantial number of people to join in our competition. Round robin gives more opportunity for everyone to put in more effort and time played to enjoy.

#14 Tailwind

Tailwind
  • Win points = 2,235,563

• 2576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:09 AM

Nope. I meant what I said.

In the last tournament, if you lost against one person, you can still reach the finals if you beat enough people in total. In my idea of a tournament, if you lose to someone in one match you're out. That's single elimination. The win 2/3 battles is a requirement to win against one person. Also consider that I proposed random battles. The 2/3 battles to win one match is necessary because the Pokemon are random and the battle is based on luck and strategy moreso than preparation.

Oh, when you said "random" I thought you meant against random people (which is what was confusing me because tournaments are set up randomly anyways?), not using the random battle option on Showdown.

Overall though, I do like this idea now that it's been explained to me a bit better. Random team battles are always more fun and put you on the spot a bit more when it comes to strategy.

#15 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:39 PM

Ummm.

The last one went on for about a month.

The biggest problem was single rounds taking WEEKS. The group battle thing I came up with sounded like a great idea for people to get more battles in but...took too long for people to get their battles in.

I ended up disqualifying people.

So... Best 2/3 moves on?

(A maximum of 3 matches against a person with 2 wins required to move on. I like.)

I originally though the last tournament's format was a good idea, but it turned out to be harder to implement than anticipated. :/ Keil's suggestion sounds good to me, but it would (effectively) force participants to create more teams than they might need before. But maybe that would prevent people who aren't going to consistently participate from joining.

And as Emily said, hard deadlines could help move things along more quickly. 

As far as which meta to pick, I'm down for anything. :p It would be interesting to see how things turn out with VGC.

Honestly, I don't mind the making more then one team thing. It sucks that you'll have to invest a bit more time into a tournament but, teambuilding is a huge part of battling competitively.

For simplicity's sake; I'll make a poll to pick between OU, UU and VGC.

#16 Keil

Keil

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:24 PM

I WANT UU SO BADLY. I'll actually use pokemon I actually like like my HangingDildos the Tropius.

#17 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:33 PM

Ummm.

This is the round 3 discussion. There have only been 2 others.

I feel it is easily enough to do rounds in a continuous fashion as we have been. Consider them rounds in some huge year long tournament and it seems less dramatic.

I WANT UU SO BADLY. I'll actually use pokemon I actually like like my HangingDildos the Tropius.

Why not just use your UU team in an OU tourny?

Most of my Pokemon are UU or RU. I could probably switch out the 2 OU I have and have a legit UU or RU team.

#18 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:36 PM

Why not just use your UU team in an OU tourny?

Most of my Pokemon are UU or RU. I could probably switch out the 2 OU I have and have a legit UU or RU team.

*coughWhimsicottTheifcough*

Oh god.

Tropius wow.

#19 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:29 PM

I'll participate this time, and I think it should be better if the pokémon were random, so it's more challenging. Also, I voted for UU.

#20 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

I forgot to vote the first time around... I want UU

#21 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:12 PM

Does anyone know of any online tier lists?
I can't find any :/

#22 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:22 PM

Does anyone know of any online tier lists?
I can't find any :/

http://www.smogon.com/xyhub/tiers

#23 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:36 PM

Thanks!!

#24 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:47 PM

Does three days sound like a reasonable amount time for two people to have a battle with each other?

#25 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

more like 2 days... I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to know they should battle by a certain time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pokemon, battle, tournament

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users