Quantcast

Photo

DECIDE THE FATE OF MY CHILDREN

merica homeschool foreign language

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Poll: Language (52 member(s) have cast votes)

Which one?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:27 AM

I homeschool my children. I really don't care about your opinions on homeschooling, there's a whole other thread for that.

I want to start foreign language in August and don't know what language to start with. The program I'm following plans to start one language now, go with that for 4 years, then begin another language. The point of this isn't about learning the language itself per se, but learning the process of learning the language. I want to choose something that leads into other languages easily. It doesn't matter how useful the language is, but we speak English and live in the US. 

PS do you consider ASL a 'foreign language'?

#2 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:30 AM

Spanish is more practical in America.

#3 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:31 AM

You live in the US, so Spanish.

PS do you consider ASL a 'foreign language'?

Not a 'foreign' language, no, but that's not to say that it wouldn't be worth doing.

#4 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:34 AM

If you're planning on adding a language, do it within the same family. So probably choose the Romance languages and go with French or Spanish and then switch to the other, or Portuguese or Italian (or Romanian......but yeah). They're all derived from Latin and yes, Latin is helpful but I find they're connected enough that with a decent grasp of one you'll see the links and patterns in the others.

The other main route is Germanic which would give you German, Dutch, Afrikaans and the Scandinavian languages. Opens up a lot but not all that useful outside of Northern Europe.

But yeah, have a good idea of what you want the second language to be when choosing the first because you can make all your lives easier if they have a strong link.

I personally find Spanish the easiest of the Romance languages and that's despite having lived in France and having learnt French for longer. I also imagine in the States you'd have access to more teaching resources with Spanish.

Saying that, the easiest language I know is Swedish. :p

#5 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:34 AM

I will always regret that my grandparents thought teaching their kids Spanish would hinder them. It's so hard to pick it up when you're older.

#6 Liesa

Liesa
  • Foxy Lady

• 2196 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:35 AM

I had to learn French since half of Belgium speaks it and I hated it ever since >.<

#7 Tubbz

Tubbz
  • The High Fairy of Priestessvil.

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:37 AM

Most practical I'd say Spanish. 

French is easy to pick up as well. 

I did French and German (and a bit of Russian, Cantonese and Japanese...) at school. 

French I remember more of, but German I've used more. 

Latin languages in general follow verb patterns nicely. 

#8 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:45 AM

On a meaningless level, the 4 fast food restuarants around my area has a subtext in Spanish translating all the food from English. 

On a more meaningful level, when you go on rides like in Six Flags or Disneyland, before you disembark, there will be a Spanish recording (most likely a female voice) after the English one saying remain seated and keep all limbs in the car during the ride. You feel special for the duration of the ride knowing what it said and show off to the person beside you.

On a random note, Spanish helped me learn medical terms much faster because a lot of the words are latin-based English and Spanish seems close to Latin in terms of pronouncing words and processing meanings. 

On a side note, English is a terrible language. 

#9 Magical

Magical
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this member!

• 801 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:45 AM

I'd recommend Chinese - if your children have a more 'graphic' mind or are more visually orientated it should do quite well. It's fun and most definitely interesting. In my time spent learning it, I can honestly say that it has helped me understand and better utilise the English language better.

English and Chinese both follow a SVO sentence format which is very constructive and familiar. It's definitely not as hard as it looks, or what people may say about it.

One of the most incredible facets of this language is the culture and history that you get to learn about - it's a whole different world. I dunno if you like trivia or not but even some of the characters have historical events embedded within them.

...and I could go on forever. :p

#10 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:48 AM

They can always go on and learn other languages, but I would definitely start teaching them Spanish while they're young. It will help with jobs because people want workers who can speak Spanish or other languages. 

Plus, Hispanics are supposed "overpower the the white majority" by like 2050 or something.

#11 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:49 AM

They can always go on and learn other languages, but I would definitely start teaching them Spanish while they're young. It will help with jobs because people want workers who can speak Spanish or other languages. 

Plus, Hispanics are supposed "overpower the the white majority" by like 2050 or something.

By 2050, my kids could be literally anywhere in the world.

#12 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:51 AM

Anywhere in the world will probably be overpowered by a hispanic majority. VIVA LA RAZA

#13 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:51 AM

All's I'm saying is that 49.9% of kids in the U.S. under five are racial and ethnic minorities. SO WE'RE GETTING THERE lol

#14 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:53 AM

Anywhere in the world will probably be overpowered by a hispanic majority. VIVA LA RAZA

I was thinking this as I was typing. Could you imagine a Hispanic Africa though?

All's I'm saying is that 49.9% of kids in the U.S. under five are racial and ethnic minorities. SO WE'RE GETTING THERE lol

Yeah, yeah, yeah...

#15 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:56 AM

I kind of forsee your kids moving to Canada for a better life. Canada would probably be the best place to live in 5-10 years, but even with that fact, people say learning French isn't all that necessary unless you live in the French-pride areas. Still Spanish.

#16 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:58 AM

I kind of forsee your kids moving to Canada for a better life. Canada would probably be the best place to live in 5-10 years, but even with that fact, people say learning French isn't all that necessary unless you live in the French-pride areas. Still Spanish.

giphy.gif

I was thinking more like missionary in China or something... but yeah...

#17 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:59 AM

Teach them Spanish so then they can teach me.

#18 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:09 AM

Spanish is more practical in America.

Spanish or Mandarin Chinese for sure.

#19 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:09 AM

Teach 'em wetback speak.

#20 Mizk

Mizk
  • 137 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:50 AM

If you know either of the languages listed, teach them that

I mean no offense, but if you yourself know nothing of either language, I don't believe that it really matters anyway -- unless the program you're following has dedicated speakers whom your kids may ask questions to

#21 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:55 AM

If you know either of the languages listed, teach them that

I mean no offense, but if you yourself know nothing of either language, I don't believe that it really matters anyway -- unless the program you're following has dedicated speakers whom your kids may ask questions to

I took five years of Spanish and can read it and do pronunciations/grammar. I'm not really concerned about that aspect of it though, I have the internet and the ability to find the answer to any question they or I may have.

I haven't chosen a foreign language program yet, I was trying to figure out which language before I got into choosing curriculum.

#22 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:05 AM

Spanish, It's easier to learn when you're a kid and most of latin-derived languages are similar.

#23 Muffin

Muffin
  • 174 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:10 AM

Difficult decision between Spanish and French.

Like most people have said Spanish is more practical and they are more likely to use Spanish. However French, in my opinion, is more of a challenge to learn than Spanish and if it were me i would want to give them the bigger challenge.

#24 Mizk

Mizk
  • 137 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:11 AM

I took five years of Spanish and can read it and do pronunciations/grammar.

Then I choose Spanish

#25 trizzle

trizzle
  • Deceptive Minx

• 973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:39 AM

I did five years of French and three of Spanish and I loved them both.

I'd say Spanish is probably easier but only by a little way (and even that might only have been the case for me because I did French first)

I think your kiddywinks would enjoy both equally :D As others have said, they might get more use out of Spanish - living in the states as you do.

Also I know you'll probably need an official curriculum (or not, I'm not sure how homeschooling works :p ) but duolingo is fun if you wanted to get them interested/lay some groundwork while you get one sorrted.

You level up and have lives and earn gold and stuff.

Edited by trizzle, 19 June 2014 - 10:53 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: merica, homeschool, foreign language

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users