• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,908 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:33 AM

Illinois' Robert Morris University has become the first college in the United States to add e-sports to its athletic program and offer scholarships to professional gamers. The college has started to recruit high-school aged players of Riot Games' League of Legends for its new program, set to open this fall. RMU says it will be able to provide its e-athletes with up to 50 percent of their tuition fees and living costs, a figure that IGN says amounts to $19,000.

The free-to-play League of Legends is one of the biggest games in the world: more than 67 million people play the game at least once a month, with 27 million playing on a daily basis. Riot Games' e-sport events offer millions of dollars in prize money for teams across the world, figures that help to blur the lines between traditional sports and e-sports. Last year, showing these changing attitudes, the US government awarded visas to top-tier gamers that recognized them as professional athletes.

E-sports teams and sponsors have offered scholarships to the e-sports community before, but RMU's new program is the first time a university has added a video game to its official athletics program. In a statement, Robert Morris University said it "recognizes the value and legitimacy of e-sports," with Kurt Melcher, the college's associate athletic director, calling League of Legends a "competitive, challenging game which requires significant amount of teamwork to be successful." The university is recruiting 27 students to form three teams of nine people. Recruited gamers will play in the Collegiate Star League to compete for the North American Collegiate Championship and its $100,000 scholarship prize pot.

from the article here: http://www.theverge....legends-players

Thoughts?

Edited by nitro, 21 June 2014 - 10:34 AM.

#2 KyloRen

KyloRen
  • Snoke says I'm special.

• 5,103 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:38 AM

Really? They couldn't give that money to those with good academic skills? I feel like colleges focus on sports (e-sports or not) too much rather than their actual purpose, which is to teach and educate, not to train you to play a sport or to make a ton of money. (even though tons of colleges only think about money making, it's still not what they were designed to actually do).

#3 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2,048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:42 AM

While I do think that e-sports is becoming more legitimate and widespread, I do have to agree with @Satsuki.

Give scholarships to the smart kids who otherwise wouldn't be able to attend college, or just smart kids in general. We need these young minds involved with science, math and technology.. NOT video games.

#4 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 8,997 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:44 AM

These nerds already have no time for life because they're busy playing LoL all day.

Why give them scholarships when they'll still be too busy playing LoL all day to attend classes?

#5 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3,637 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:50 AM

My thoughts:

fuckin' nerds.

#6 Kate

Kate
  • 🐟🐳

• 7,352 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:02 AM

This is better than how scholarships are given in my hometown. 
If your family is well known, you get a scholarship. 
If your family sponsored the scholarship, you get the scholarship.
No one else gets scholarships. 

lol

#7 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2,462 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:07 AM

This is gross. Recruiting kids to play fucking video games? America wonders why we're ranked so poorly in math, science, etc, and we go and do shit like this. Video games are recreational, and if you decide to spend your life playing so much that you can win in tournaments, that's your prerogative. Universities shouldn't be rewarding this behavior though, it is not constructive or helpful. Also, playing video games is not a fucking sport. 

#8 Chalk

Chalk
  • 311 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:12 AM

This is gross. Recruiting kids to play fucking video games? America wonders why we're ranked so poorly in math, science, etc, and we go and do shit like this. Video games are recreational, and if you decide to spend your life playing so much that you can win in tournaments, that's your prerogative. Universities shouldn't be rewarding this behavior though, it is not constructive or helpful. Also, playing video games is not a fucking sport. 

I thought those rankings were biased by extremely poor regional areas. 

I think this is the same exact thing as a football scholarship. It's fascinating how much esports has developed. If someone is to bitch about this, then I see no difference with college football. 

#9 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6,343 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:15 AM

Why would even that college fund such a monstrosity? To support a world class video game team?

Like seriously:

Some good school: Our girls field hockey team has been working hard to reach the state finals for the last 3 years. We also have a solar car team acknowledged by NASA.

Morris University: We paid thousands of dollars for people to sit around and drink Mountain Dew.

#10 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,908 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:25 AM

Also, playing video games is not a fucking sport. 

If chess can be considered a sport, than why not video games :p

#11 Keil

Keil

• 6,343 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:29 AM

That analogy doesn't really fit. You didn't give/offer a reason or validation as to why video games are sports, just making a huge stretch of association with no substance. It's like saying if we can hunt and kill animals, why can't we hunt and kill humans?

#12 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,908 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:34 AM

That analogy doesn't really fit. You don't really give a reason or validation as to why video games are sports, just making a huge stretch of association with no substance. It's like saying if we can hunt and kill animals, why can't we hunt and kill humans?

Reason and validation: Chess and video games have a lot in common. There's no physical activity involved outside of moving your hands, it takes a lot of mental capacity and training to do well, and there are "recreational" and professional levels. Why is chess considered a sport and video games aren't?

#13 Keil

Keil

• 6,343 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

Reason and validation: Chess and video games have a lot in common. There's no physical activity involved outside of moving your hands, it takes a lot of mental capacity and training to do well, and there are "recreational" and professional levels. Why is chess considered a sport and video games aren't?

Slightly better.

#14 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,908 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:37 AM

Slightly better.

I was assuming that people could connect the dots themselves, but ok :p
But assuming is bad, blah blah blah, etc. so whoops.

Edited by nitro, 21 June 2014 - 12:02 PM.

#15 Keil

Keil

• 6,343 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

I was assuming that people could connect the dots themselves, but ok :p

Stop while you're ahead.

#16 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2,048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

1. It's highly debated whether or not chess is considered a sport. You aren't doing much physical movement, you're not on a team, etc etc

2. Chess is much harder than fucking LoL

#17 Futurama

Futurama
  • The Teacher.

• 3,752 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:50 AM

It would be Illinois...it would be.

#18 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3,637 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:54 AM

1. It's highly debated whether or not chess is considered a sport. You aren't doing much physical movement, you're not on a team, etc etc

There are robots that can consistently beat chess masters. The same definitely can't be said about LoL. :p

#19 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,908 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:03 PM

I'm pretty sure this second statement is untrue, especially if you want to be the top of the top. But I don't even play LoL, so I can't say for sure :p

#20 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 1,989 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

I'm pretty sure this second statement is untrue, especially if you want to be the top of the top. But I don't even play LoL, so I can't say for sure :p

Did you just negatively compare acclaimed chess grandmasters to the top LoL gamers?

#21 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2,048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:29 PM

Then why say that if you don't play?

Chess masters are geniuses, top LoL players are college dropouts..

There are robots that can consistently beat chess masters. The same definitely can't be said about LoL. :p

Editing to make my point clearer. 

That's because super smart people are making these computers solely to beat chess players, that doesn't mean that LoL requires more skill.

#22 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1,718 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

Nerds

#23 Tubbz

Tubbz
  • The High Fairy of Priestessvil.

• 988 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:08 PM

Chess isn't a sport... /argument

#24 Chalk

Chalk
  • 311 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:30 PM

Then why say that if you don't play?

Chess masters are geniuses, top LoL players are college dropouts..

What the hell does being a college dropout have anything to do with skill? The fact is that these people possess a skill that most people don't. The only reason it's relevant is because the popularity/demand for it has become very high within the past few years. I had never even heard of this school before this, and investing into a growing field isn't a bad idea. 

I do agree that funding should be used for more /educational/ purposes, but discrediting and belittling what these players can do is absolutely disgusting. 

#25 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2,383 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:45 PM

Wow! a marketing tool perhaps? find something super popular, offer a scholarship and hope a few million LOL fans check out their university? smart. also dumb... looking forward to (<-- a lie) seeing what happens next... maybe the end goal is to have the white house function only as an online forum, got to phase that in with style ;) (totally kidding lol)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users