League of Legends

:lol2:

#31 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2,048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:18 AM

What the hell does being a college dropout have anything to do with skill? The fact is that these people possess a skill that most people don't. The only reason it's relevant is because the popularity/demand for it has become very high within the past few years. I had never even heard of this school before this, and investing into a growing field isn't a bad idea. 

I do agree that funding should be used for more /educational/ purposes, but discrediting and belittling what these players can do is absolutely disgusting. 

I don't think sitting on the computer playing a video game for 12+ hours a day should be considered an accomplishment. That's just my opinion though.

I'm disgusting for saying that about someone who would rather spend their time playing a video game as a career than pursuing something worthwhile to society? :rolleyes:  Oh-kay.

#32 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,913 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:54 PM

I'm disgusting for saying that about someone who would rather spend their time playing a video game as a career than pursuing something worthwhile to society? :rolleyes:  Oh-kay.

How are sports considered careers contributing to society?

#33 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2,048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:56 PM

How are sports considered careers contributing to society?

I never said they did...

#34 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,913 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:02 PM

I never said they did...

So you would agree that sports do not contribute to society and people should not pursue sports as a career?

#35 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2,462 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

So you would agree that sports do not contribute to society and people should not pursue sports as a career?

Even if she agrees would that somehow make playing video games worthwhile? 

#36 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2,048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:38 PM

I never said that, either. What is your point?

#37 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,913 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:40 PM

I never said that, either. What is your point?

Then what do you say to these two questions?

#38 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2,048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:41 PM

Then what do you say to these two questions?

I don't consider e-sports actual sports, so I don't see why I need to answer your questions at all.

#39 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,913 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:53 PM

I don't consider e-sports actual sports, so I don't see why I need to answer your questions at all.

That isn't the point.

The point is, are you really disgusted at everyone that chooses to pursue a career that doesn't contribute to society?

#40 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3,201 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:56 PM

The point is, are you really disgusted at everyone that chooses to pursue a career that doesn't contribute to society?

Also not what she said...:/

#41 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2,048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:56 PM

That isn't the point.

You need to go back and read what I said more carefully.

Please don't quote me again until you do so.

#42 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,913 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:08 PM

You need to go back and read what I said more carefully.

Please don't quote me again until you do so.

Damn you're right.

Apologies. Read your post out of context.

#43 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2,048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:09 PM

Damn you're right.

Apologies. Read your post out of context.

That's quite alright. :)

#44 Chalk

Chalk
  • 311 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

Of course you're not. The act of belittling people like that is disgusting, imo. Nothing to do personally with you. (That's also misunderstanding what I said).

It's just something in demand right now. This is nothing new in the grand spectrum of how things work, but to think of it as so is just silly.

Edited by Chalk, 22 June 2014 - 09:01 PM.

#45 Soulsucker

Soulsucker
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:47 AM

I think these professional gamers spent a lot of time honing their skills. You don't get good at any game overnight. And if they're really good and someone's willing to, then they deserve scholarships too.

Everyone has different skill sets, and at the same time, everyone has an equal opportunity to get education. And so, I think it would be right to offer different kinds of scholarships to cater to all the different types of skills. :)

#46 seraph

seraph
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:50 AM

I don't think sitting on the computer playing a video game for 12+ hours a day should be considered an accomplishment. That's just my opinion though.

I'm disgusting for saying that about someone who would rather spend their time playing a video game as a career than pursuing something worthwhile to society?  :rolleyes:  Oh-kay.

And you think kicking a ball should be considered an accomplishment? If you want to only fund things worthwhile to society and seem to not consider entertainment worthwhile, all sports, acting, music, art, whatnot should be abolished. The funny thing is you seem to hold 'ACTUAL' sport in high regard when it has no value whatsoever and uses up atrocious amounts of funding that could be used for things that actually matter, like science. There is no consistency or logic in your opinions, hurts my brain.

And no, chess is not particularly more difficult and 'chess players are geniuses' is one of the most idiotic things I've heard in a while. Chess players have average intelligence, the sport being connected to intelligent people is an ancient misconception. It's been proven through various tests they are simply experts of chess, a meaningless game. Similar to how pro players are experts of videogames. I doubt you've read any studies about what makes an expert, so what it means is that through thousands of hours of playing they've essentially memorized every route a game can take and instinctively know what the right move is without having to think about it (applies to both chess and videogames). Doesn't require any intelligence, just about 10 000 hours of practice.

Edited by seraph, 02 October 2014 - 11:54 AM.

#47 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2,048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:30 PM

And you think kicking a ball should be considered an accomplishment? If you want to only fund things worthwhile to society and seem to not consider entertainment worthwhile, all sports, acting, music, art, whatnot should be abolished. The funny thing is you seem to hold 'ACTUAL' sport in high regard when it has no value whatsoever and uses up atrocious amounts of funding that could be used for things that actually matter, like science. There is no consistency or logic in your opinions, hurts my brain.

This is the third time in this thread someone has completely misread something I posted.  :/  Not sure why I bother.

I never said I hold actual sports in higher regard, and I never said entertainment wasn't was worthwhile to society.

#48 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2,462 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:40 PM

If you want to only fund things worthwhile to society and seem to not consider entertainment worthwhile, all sports, acting, music, art, whatnot should be abolished. 

Yikes...theatre, music and art have unfathomably more value to society than playing video games. 

#49 seraph

seraph
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:55 PM

Yikes...theatre, music and art have unfathomably more value to society than playing video games. 

That's just the emotional value you choose to place on these things. There's no inherent/intrinsic value in any of these things, feel free to prove me wrong.

This is the third time in this thread someone has completely misread something I posted.  :/  Not sure why I bother.

I never said I hold actual sports in higher regard, and I never said entertainment wasn't was worthwhile to society.

If three people in a row misunderstand you, chances are you're not very good at expressing yourself. You implied both things. So do you NOT think football and say chess are somehow more worthwhile to society than e-sport? If so your tantrum about how 'disgusting' and 'wrong' it is for colleges to fund this career choice would make very little sense in light of how common sports scholarships are.

#50 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2,048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:10 PM

If three people in a row misunderstand you, chances are you're not very good at expressing yourself. You implied both things. So do you NOT think football and say chess are somehow more worthwhile to society than e-sport? If so your tantrum about how 'disgusting' and 'wrong' it is for colleges to fund this career choice would make very little sense in light of how common sports scholarships are.

People misunderstood me because they did not read my posts, and you are misunderstanding me because you did not read this thread. 

I never said football or chess or more worthwhile to society than e-sports, nor did I use the words disgusting or wrong in that context. 

My opinion is that sports scholarships in general shouldn't exist for higher education and learning.. so of course I would have a similar opinion for e-sports.

I don't have some sort of strange grudge against people who play video games or those who play LoL.. considering I play the game, myself.  :rolleyes: I just don't think playing video games should be rewarded by colleges/considered an accomplishment in life, or a worthwhile career choice. My opinion is my own to have and it's the same across the board. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users