ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,915 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

POPULAR POST!

nitro's Proxy Guide!

What are proxies?

Web proxies are simply a server's IP and port. When you enter a web proxy's IP and port, it tells the browser/program/computer to send all internet requests to the proxy server, which will fetch the data and send it back. 

To sum up, data is being transferred as so: your computer -> web proxy -> the internet -> web proxy -> your computer.

There are many different types of proxies. There are those that work, and those that are dead. There are those that are fast, and those that are slow. And finally, proxies have different levels of anonymity. The anonymity tiers goes like this:

1. Transparent - These tell the internet your IP address and the fact that you are using a proxy. For our purposes, these are useless.
2. Anonymous - These do NOT tell the internet your IP address. All that can be seen is the proxy's IP, and the fact that you are using a proxy. For our purposes, these are great.
3. Elite/High Anonymous - These are the pinnacle of all proxies. They also do not tell the internet your IP address. All that can be seen is the proxy's IP, and the internet won't know that you are using a proxy. For our purposes, these would be amazing!

The million dollar question: why do you need them?

TNT can and does track your IP address whenever you log into Neopets. This means TNT can easily tell if you have multiple accounts if you use every account on the same IP address, which sets everything up nicely for a chain freeze. If you use a high anonymity proxy for each of your Neopets accounts, then all TNT can see are accounts created and accessed in different places. This makes the chances of a chain freezing much much lower. 

Step 1: Get proxies from Hide My Ass or from any other free proxy list site.

Spoiler

Step 2: Paste them into the proxy checker.
Spoiler

Step 3: Test the proxies manually
Spoiler

Step 4: Use your proxy
Spoiler

Final notes:

Using a proxy is a pain but imperative if you want to keep your accounts safe. However, proxies will NOT guarantee that your accounts will not be chain iced, nor is an account on a proxy any "safer" than an account on a home IP. ALL PROXIES DO IS TO PREVENT ACCOUNTS FROM BEING LINKED TO THE SAME PERSON.

One of the easiest ways to get chain iced is to attempt to launder, or transfer neopoints from account to account. This links accounts together, and has a huge risk of getting all of them frozen. 

To reiterate, proxies do not make an individual account any "safer" than an account not using a proxy. Autobuying, score sending, posting spam on the neoboards, etc. are all subject to the same risks no matter if a proxy is used or not. Be careful!

Finally, if you mess up and log into an account on your home IP, the world isn't over quite yet. Usually, TNT will not chain ice because of a single log in on the same IP. If however you messed up too much and logged a shell into your home IP a lot, then my advice is to ditch the shell and/or sell it and get another shell and proxy to start fresh. 

Thus concludes the guide. I would like to thank @Jess for helping me refine this guide. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to let me know!

Edited by ortin, 27 May 2015 - 12:16 PM.

#2 MichaelA

MichaelA
  • Very Hard to Shoot

• 484 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

Nice one @nitro very informational i would also like to add that i personally dont use free proxy sites because i find that the proxys are usually spammed to death or slow 

Edited by MichaelA, 23 June 2014 - 04:29 PM.

#3 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2,386 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:33 PM

:o you're amazebeans! Thanks for making and posting this!!! :)

#4 Swar

Swar
  • com muito orgulho, com muito amor <3

• 9,100 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:03 PM

I have a question: I have to use only HTTP proxys?

#5 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,915 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

I have a question: I have to use only HTTP proxys?

You don't have to. However, they are the only ones that work with codex programs, so that's why I am emphasizing them :p

#6 Swar

Swar
  • com muito orgulho, com muito amor <3

• 9,100 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:10 PM

@nitro Oh, thanks :D I found one with high anonymity, but it's SOCKS.

#7 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,915 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:13 PM

@nitro Oh, thanks :D I found one with high anonymity, but it's SOCKS.

If it's the same format as a web proxy, (xxx.xx.xx.xx:xxxx), then it might work :p

#8 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4,433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

this is a very helpful guide, @nitro. good job! +rep

#9 Magical

Magical
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this member!

• 801 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:05 PM

Great Guide, seeing that I'm not fluent in IT I'll be using this in future :p

#10 Bee

Bee

• 1,155 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:05 AM

Ooh, this site has free proxies that are quite fast and last longer: Samair

#11 Vibe

Vibe
  • 469 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:29 AM

Thanks for the detailed guide! ^_^ The proxy checker is awesome. Now I know what I was doing wrong. xD

Any idea how long the proxies from HMA usually last? o: I've been thinking of using proxies instead of using Hotspot Shield for SSing during the altador cup. ^_^

+rep

Edited by Aisaka, 24 June 2014 - 01:29 AM.

#12 MichaelA

MichaelA
  • Very Hard to Shoot

• 484 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:58 AM

Thanks for the detailed guide! ^_^ The proxy checker is awesome. Now I know what I was doing wrong. xD

Any idea how long the proxies from HMA usually last? o: I've been thinking of using proxies instead of using Hotspot Shield for SSing during the altador cup. ^_^

+rep

the proxies from HMA get spammed to death quick

#13 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,915 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

Ooh, this site has free proxies that are quite fast and last longer: Samair

Thanks! I'll add that to the guide soon :)

+rep

the proxies from HMA get spammed to death quick

The proxies from HMA aren't that bad actually :p One proxy lasted me 2 months, and the other proxy continues to work after 3 months of use. Both proxies are reasonably fast, they only add 2 seconds to load a page. It will take a lot of trial and error to find a really good proxy for free though :p

#14 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,915 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:05 PM

Finally got around to adding some more proxy sites. Does anyone have recommendations?

#15 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2,386 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:56 PM

Ive used  http://www.us-proxy.org/ before.

Edited by Prisca, 27 June 2014 - 09:56 PM.

#16 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,915 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:04 PM

Ive used  http://www.us-proxy.org/ before.

How good are their proxies? How many of them actually work?

#17 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2,386 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:07 PM

I have had more success from them than hidemyass, but i probably wouldnt rate it much better than it.

#18 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,915 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:08 PM

I have had more success from them than hidemyass, but i probably wouldnt rate it much better than it.

Thank you :) Will add to the list.

#19 Magical

Magical

• 801 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:20 AM

@nitro

It's likely just me, but when I use a proxy, the page takes forever to load, even while having a fast proxy. I am using firefox, so is there any specific tool to fix this if I've messed something up?

The proxy server is refusing connections

Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections.

Check the proxy settings to make sure that they are correct.
    Contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working.
    Consider using fast and reliable proxy servers from FoxyProxy. (Hint: Please disable your current proxy if you get this error page while trying to load FoxyProxy's proxy service website)

-x-

That's what I'm getting immediately after I've checked and attempted to use the proxy

#20 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,915 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:22 PM

@nitro

It's likely just me, but when I use a proxy, the page takes forever to load, even while having a fast proxy. I am using firefox, so is there any specific tool to fix this if I've messed something up?

The proxy server is refusing connections

Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections.

Check the proxy settings to make sure that they are correct.
    Contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working.
    Consider using fast and reliable proxy servers from FoxyProxy. (Hint: Please disable your current proxy if you get this error page while trying to load FoxyProxy's proxy service website)

-x-

That's what I'm getting immediately after I've checked and attempted to use the proxy

If you get that message, it means you're not using a working proxy. A "fast" proxy may have been fast during the test, but if too many people use it, it will slow down dramatically and eventually fail. A "fast" proxy would load a page within a couple of seconds. If you can't find a good proxy from HMA, there are also a couple of good sites that have proxies. 

#21 Magical

Magical

• 801 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:48 PM

If you get that message, it means you're not using a working proxy. A "fast" proxy may have been fast during the test, but if too many people use it, it will slow down dramatically and eventually fail. A "fast" proxy would load a page within a couple of seconds. If you can't find a good proxy from HMA, there are also a couple of good sites that have proxies. 

Cheers man! Sorted it all out! :D

#22 Kau

Kau
  • 260 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:42 PM

There aren't an abundance of Australian proxies, unfortunately and I do not use one so this guide is of no use to me but is good :)

Thanks Nitro.

#23 belaburrito

belaburrito
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:45 PM

Great guide, ABing was never profitable for me mostly because I was using crappy proxies, but thanks to this thread hopefully I'll be on my way to making it big :) Hopefully, that is.

#24 Michaelhex

Michaelhex
  • 1,018 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:33 AM

I was wondering, if you are in an Institution having it's own Wi-Fi connection and Local Connection, will proxy work ? Because years ago, I tried using torrent and it wont pass and also on Neopets, even the Key Quest doesn't work for me. It just stays in the loading area although the loading circle thingy already completed.

#25 Guest_Amythistle_*

Guest_Amythistle_*

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:19 PM

I'm doing it exactly as you guide us to, but every proxy I use is ok on proxy checker, but when I navigate to another page, every one is blocked by IP.... Am I doing something wrong?

I'm using Firefox by the way

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users