• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:30 PM

And here's the teaser trailer for it :D It's going to be a survival horror game. What do you guys think? Would anyone be interested in playing it?

(... it's the first game I'll actually be 'publishing' outside of school projects, so i'm really anxious xD)

#2 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:48 PM

Why is it called Salem?

#3 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:51 PM

Why is it called Salem?

It's the name of the pharaoh :) (There's a small description on YouTube, I forgot to paste it here)

Follow the final moments of professor William Pryce and descend with him in the Tomb of Salem.

Genre: Survival Horror
Expected release date: winter 2014

#4 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:53 PM

It's the name of the pharaoh :) (There's a small description on YouTube, I forgot to paste it here)

Ahh, gotcha. Is that your choice, or something from history?
Just, "Salem" conjures witches and 16th (?) century America, which would fit the survival horror genre - but totally doesn't jive with Egyptian tomb-raiding :p

#5 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:56 PM

Ahh, gotcha. Is that your choice, or something from history?
Just, "Salem" conjures witches and 16th (?) century America, which would fit the survival horror genre - but totally doesn't jive with Egyptian tomb-raiding :p

It's a combo :) According to Google Translation (although they're sometimes wrong :p), the Arabic word for 'darkness' is 'zalam' (phonetically), so I changed it up a little to Salem. Also in reference to the Salem witches. 

The (fictional) pharaoh Salem of this game (it will be explained very early in the game so I can spoil a little) was known as the wizard pharaoh, and was imprisoned by the gods themselves in this tomb. And our protagonist is foolish enough to enter it :p

#6 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:01 PM

It's a combo :) According to Google Translation (although they're sometimes wrong :p), the Arabic word for 'darkness' is 'zalam' (phonetically), so I changed it up a little to Salem. Also in reference to the Salem witches. 

The (fictional) pharaoh Salem of this game (it will be explained very early in the game so I can spoil a little) was known as the wizard pharaoh, and was imprisoned by the gods themselves in this tomb. And our protagonist is foolish enough to enter it :p

Oh, cool ^_^ I am totally with you.

#7 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:01 PM

I'm not really in to survival/horror games, but it looks interesting :)

#8 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:08 PM

Thank you ^^ I'll most probably ask some beta-testers from here, but it's still in a too early stage for that :p If people are interested I would love to keep updates about this!

#9 Mew

Mew
  • 626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:49 PM

This looks very interesting.
I'm really into this sort of game, playing "The Forest" at the minute and having a blast.

I would love to help test this when the time comes. :)

Also what engine are you using?

Edited by Mew, 29 June 2014 - 03:03 PM.

#10 blue

blue
  • doge

• 2048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

I honestly was expecting a loud scream and scary image to flash at the end so I turned the volume down haha!

Very nice teaser!

#11 Leeroy

Leeroy
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:30 PM

I honestly was expecting a loud scream and scary image to flash at the end so I turned the volume down haha!

Very nice teaser!

i did that too lol! but i wouldn't trying it! you got the sound effect just right.. creepy and suspending =]

#12 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:32 PM

Looks awesome!
I'll play! :D

#13 Lily

Lily
  • 279 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:35 PM

The name makes me think of Salem witch hunts. It looks great! I'd be willing to play, too :)

#14 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:41 PM

You had me at indie game and lost me at survival horror.

#15 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:20 PM

It looks great! I can't wait to try it :D

#16 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:41 PM

This looks very interesting.
I'm really into this sort of game, playing "The Forest" at the minute and having a blast.
I would love to help test this when the time comes. :)
Also what engine are you using?

Thanks ^^ i use Unity. Not the best out there, but the one my school teaches so im most familiar with it.

Very nice teaser!

i did that too lol! but i wouldn't trying it! you got the sound effect just right.. creepy and suspending =]

Lol!:D glad that i captivated you. I dont do cheap jumpscares tho ; p

You had me at indie game and lost me at survival horror.

Well, sorry to disappoint. Horror has always been and will always be my genre. This year will be my fourth year as a scareactor at Europa's biggest halloween event so im excited to use all my scaring knowledge in this game :D
Thank you all for the wonderful reactions :D i was already pretty stoked but im extra excited now!

#17 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:44 PM

Unity is a great engine.
Where are you planning to publish/distribute?

#18 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:50 PM

Unity is a great engine.Where are you planning to publish/distribute?

Not decided on yet. Thinking about Steam Greenlight, but heard they were closing it down or already have. Havent looked into the details yet. I might need to register with chamber of commerce amd buy licenses and stuff (since i now only have student license). Not a bad investment in the long rum since ill probably end up doing this for a living. :p

If steam's not available i might bring it to some festivals. My teavhers organize a couple so ill probably be able to fix a good spot :D
Lol my phone is makung me look really drunk

#19 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:54 PM

Not decided on yet. Thinking about Steam Greenlight, but heard they were closing it down or already have. Havent looked into the details yet. I might need to register with chamber of commerce amd buy licenses and stuff (since i now only have student license). Not a bad investment in the long rum since ill probably end up doing this for a living. :p

If steam's not available i might bring it to some festivals. My teavhers organize a couple so ill probably be able to fix a good spot :D
Lol my phone is makung me look really drunk

You could always self-publish online, too. Easy in Unity, I believe, and a good option for a fledgeling developer.
I'd suggest checking out the /r/gamedev subreddit for advice on publishing, they have some great guys on there. They just had a big post on Greenlight too.

#20 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:59 PM

You could always self-publish online, too. Easy in Unity, I believe, and a good option for a fledgeling developer.I'd suggest checking out the /r/gamedev subreddit for advice on publishing, they have some great guys on there. They just had a big post on Greenlight too.

Thanks! Ill definitely look into it. For now im gonna try and make it work :p im not bad at scripting but boy, did i take on quite the challenge for mysrlf!

#21 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:02 PM

Thanks! Ill definitely look into it. For now im gonna try and make it work :p im not bad at scripting but boy, did i take on quite the challenge for mysrlf!

Yeah, no kidding xD
I'm hoping I can get back to CraftGame at some point. It's just not a priority right now.

#22 Honchkrow

Honchkrow
  • 908 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:11 PM

Neato, are you planning this to have combat or straight up survival with no weapons at all? Crafting system?

#23 HappyAccident

HappyAccident
  • 408 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:32 PM

Looks pretty interesting. Good luck on it!!

#24 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:37 PM

Looks pretty neat :D I'd be interested in helping with any Beta testing that might be needed. I look forward to seeing the progress. Good luck with it!

#25 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:27 PM

Neato, are you planning this to have combat or straight up survival with no weapons at all? Crafting system?

there may be a knife involved, but it kinda depends how well i get the scripts to work haha.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: salem, mystax, games

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users