Quantcast

Photo

Your thoughts on hunting

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#51 Magical

Magical
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this member!

• 801 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

I love the moderation here *rolls eyes*

Don't move to Alaska or some place in the wilderness or stock up on food. Eat other foods that don't require the necessity of shooting animals. It seems quite American to assume you have a right to shoot something and eat it because you can.

Let's not try and play the whole "hunting is a skill/sport" thing. It isn't. Just like shooting up a school isn't difficult, shooting an animal in the face isn't difficult either (oooh but you have to spend a few hours in the woods). Could have drove to walmart in those few hours.

Plus there's the whole fact of skimming the animal and just letting it bleed to death after it runs off.

I strongly agree that hunting is not a sport/skill. Any possible justification without reasonable purpose is bullshit.

However, I think that going out and hunting an animal is fine. As long as the whole animal is put to good use (food, other resources). At the end of the day, any animal that you consume would have been hunted/killed. The matter of respecting the creature is how much is put to use - whether we waste it and take it for granted or respect the beast.

#52 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

So as long as I use the skull of a cat as a drinking mug, I'm ok? Sweet.

#53 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:35 AM

I love the moderation here *rolls eyes*.

Your original post did not contribute to the topic in a meaningful way. Nor was it in the spirit of the debate section.
Remember that you should raise complaints about a staff member, or staff action, by pm or email with an administrator.

#54 tmack1337

tmack1337
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

Don't move to Alaska or some place in the wilderness or stock up on food. Eat other foods that don't require the necessity of shooting animals. It seems quite American to assume you have a right to shoot something and eat it because you can.

Let's not try and play the whole "hunting is a skill/sport" thing. It isn't. Just like shooting up a school isn't difficult, shooting an animal in the face isn't difficult either (oooh but you have to spend a few hours in the woods). Could have drove to walmart in those few hours.

Plus there's the whole fact of skimming the animal and just letting it bleed to death after it runs off.

Yes, NOBODY should ever live in the wilderness or any kind of rural area. I guess robots will just have to live there instead and farm the food we eat since hunting offends people in cities who are many generations removed from knowing where their food comes from. :doh:

Again, at the end of the day...if you are not a vegan, you are also killing animals for your food. There is no getting around that fact however you try to say it. Just what exactly is the difference if a hunter tags a deer and does all the work to prepare it themselves, or if you buy meat at the store? There isn't any difference, other than the fact that you are paying someone else to kill the animal for you. :ohwell:

#55 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:32 PM

There is a huge difference between a buisness interest and a personal interest in hunting and killing animals which you've failed to address.

#56 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

There is a huge difference between a buisness interest and a personal interest in hunting and killing animals which you've failed to address.

Out of interest, what if you're not doing it on a commercial level but you do make a profit? So say someone enjoyed hunting recreationally but profited from the proceeds of it....killed a couple of rabbits/deer/pheasants/whatevers and then sold the meat. What side of the line does that fall on?

#57 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:11 PM

i don't think hunting is wrong. i believe it's part of human nature. damn, even i want to shoot at some living creature someday. but near-extinct animals are surely off-limits to hunting. although, dodo has extinct due to hunting and i don't think it affects us that much.

#58 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:25 PM

Out of interest, what if you're not doing it on a commercial level but you do make a profit? So say someone enjoyed hunting recreationally but profited from the proceeds of it....killed a couple of rabbits/deer/pheasants/whatevers and then sold the meat. What side of the line does that fall on?

Tax evasion as you need a hunting and buisness license :p

i don't think hunting is wrong. i believe it's part of human nature. damn, even i want to shoot at some living creature someday. but near-extinct animals are surely off-limits to hunting. although, dodo has extinct due to hunting and i don't think it affects us that much.

The Dodo wasn't hunted at all really, I mean, it was at the beginning of its discovery but it was quickly discovered that it tasty very tough, gristly and not much meat.

It was the introduction of pigs into its enviroment, who would eat dodo eggs and bully the dodo that would kill it off.

To be fair, they're kinda like pandas, doomed to die due to its evolutionary state.

#59 Magical

Magical

• 801 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:39 AM

Tbh, if the animal is used up, then I don't see the problem with it. The issue is that almost all recreational hunting is for sticking the beast's head on a wall. But this sounds quite fair.

Yes, NOBODY should ever live in the wilderness or any kind of rural area. I guess robots will just have to live there instead and farm the food we eat since hunting offends people in cities who are many generations removed from knowing where their food comes from. :doh:

Again, at the end of the day...if you are not a vegan, you are also killing animals for your food. There is no getting around that fact however you try to say it. Just what exactly is the difference if a hunter tags a deer and does all the work to prepare it themselves, or if you buy meat at the store? There isn't any difference, other than the fact that you are paying someone else to kill the animal for you. :ohwell:

100% agree with this @tmack1337

So as long as I use the skull of a cat as a drinking mug, I'm ok? Sweet.

If you can't see the sense in what I'm saying then try not to make sarcastic comments. You know what I mean, so don't exaggerate.

Just as long as you don't leave the poor sod after killing it! ^^ :p But yeah, I think we need to be conscious of the numbers of species in the wild. Hunting to extinction is a great, and covert, blow to an ecosystem and food chain. No to mention the thoughtlessness and ignorance of the humans towards the natural world around us.

Remember that you should raise complaints about a staff member, or staff action, by pm or email with an administrator.

I don't understand.

#60 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:08 AM

<rabble rabble rabble/>

You're confusing sarcasm with facetiousness.

#61 onlyme

onlyme
  • I hate everyone.

• 4319 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:16 AM

If people who live oldschool style (for whatever reason, willingly or not), hunt to feed and dress their family for an entire year or if some educated people take care of errors in nature, which are caused by humans in the first place, I am fine with it.

If you dress in a ridiculous green uniform, call it 'sport' and take pictures of yourself holding a dead deer, I think you are a lesser human being and you suck.

#62 Magical

Magical

• 801 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:39 AM

If people who live oldschool style (for whatever reason, willingly or not), hunt to feed and dress their family for an entire year or if some educated people take care of errors in nature, which are caused by humans in the first place, I am fine with it.

If you dress in a ridiculous green uniform, call it 'sport' and take pictures of yourself holding a dead deer, I think you are a lesser human being and you suck.

Blunt, to the point, and completely correct. Thanks for being so succinct! ^^

But I do agree, they have a purpose to fullfil in our lives and as long as we don't abuse that purpose we should be just fine :)

#63 Jibrille

Jibrille
  • 462 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:46 AM

This /\

I was vegan for 8 years and needed to stop with this due a surgery. I was not that crazy vegan person that says everyone is a killer, but for me, if you need to kill an animal to eat, it's ok. Kill it to have fun, because you think is SO COOL to have an bear carpet, I want to hunt you down and have YOUR skin in my room.

I believe it's possible to live without killing animals if you live in a city, but if you are on a place like north alaska, it's more than a cultural thing, it's survival.

#64 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

Hunting was given to us by God, it should be legal.

#65 tmack1337

tmack1337
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:11 PM

I was vegan for 8 years and needed to stop with this due a surgery. I was not that crazy vegan person that says everyone is a killer, but for me, if you need to kill an animal to eat, it's ok. Kill it to have fun, because you think is SO COOL to have an bear carpet, I want to hunt you down and have YOUR skin in my room.

I believe it's possible to live without killing animals if you live in a city, but if you are on a place like north alaska, it's more than a cultural thing, it's survival.

Is it really wrong for someone to use the hide as a carpet though, if they also used the rest of the animal for food? If someone eats the meat and makes clothes or whatever out of the animal's pelt...to me, that is part of making sure you don't waste any part of the animal. It shouldn't matter if someone lives in a city or the middle of nowhere, as long as they don't waste any part of the animal.

#66 Magical

Magical

• 801 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:59 PM

Is it really wrong for someone to use the hide as a carpet though, if they also used the rest of the animal for food? If someone eats the meat and makes clothes or whatever out of the animal's pelt...to me, that is part of making sure you don't waste any part of the animal. It shouldn't matter if someone lives in a city or the middle of nowhere, as long as they don't waste any part of the animal.

It's very true. I have nothing against it, as long as it's put to good use. I think @Jibrille was referring to people killing a bear for trophy honour rather than for practical use/human consumption.

True dat

#67 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:52 PM

It should be ilegal.

#68 onlyme

onlyme
  • I hate everyone.

• 4319 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:58 PM

Go away Scat!

(No seriously how are you doing man? Long time no see! *ruffleyoursilkyasianhair*)

#69 Magical

Magical

• 801 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:15 AM

It should be ilegal.

Would you care to elaborate?

#70 Jibrille

Jibrille
  • 462 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:33 AM

It's very true. I have nothing against it, as long as it's put to good use. I think @Jibrille was referring to people killing a bear for trophy honour rather than for practical use/human consumption.

True dat

@tmack1337Humans already "cultivate" cows, pigs and chicken. Do you want to eat bear because you think it's tasty and exotic ou because you live in a forest and has nothing to eat? I really think it depends the situation. If it's the second case, it's okay to use the skin to warm your house, but think about japanese wanting to eat whales... they don't NEED to eat, they just want to.

@Magical , yes, that's it. I hate people that kill animals for sport and fun. You can do a lot of better things than this :/

#71 Magical

Magical

• 801 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:41 AM

@tmack1337Humans already "cultivate" cows, pigs and chicken. Do you want to eat bear because you think it's tasty and exotic ou because you live in a forest and has nothing to eat? I really think it depends the situation. If it's the second case, it's okay to use the skin to warm your house, but think about japanese wanting to eat whales... they don't NEED to eat, they just want to.

@Magical , yes, that's it. I hate people that kill animals for sport and fun. You can do a lot of better things than this :/

This may be me digressing, but, very few studies have even attempted to address the borderline sadistic culture of game hunting. It is after all, killing.

I agree that it's more resourceful to consume/use these 'cultivated' animals such as chickens as opposed to zebras (which is an ongoing effort in parts of Africa). If it is part of a certain culture to consume a type of animal that is not widely deemed cultivated, then, that should be accepted too.

In Australia, we have mixed reactions to Aboriginals killing crocodiles for food as it is a food that we don't perceive as ordinary (that and they are protected in the wild). But the truth is, even legal legislation can't remove these creatures from a couple-hundred year old food chain.

Yet one extreme example is the Japanese and the whaling crisis. When we harvest more than nature can replenish, then we are certainly going too far. Generally, animals that are part of a respective culture's food source, are established through farms. Where the Japanese go wrong here is they are yet to establish such an economical measure to equate with the output of whales that are consumed (that and whales are, well, whale-sized :p)

#72 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:52 PM

Go away Scat!
(No seriously how are you doing man? Long time no see! *ruffleyoursilkyasianhair*)

my hair is gone

#73 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

Would you care to elaborate?

Why should I (or anyone else) decide which animal lives and which one dies?

#74 tmack1337

tmack1337
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:16 AM

Why should I (or anyone else) decide which animal lives and which one dies?

Not for nothing, but unless if you are a vegan...you pretty much ARE doing that every time you go to the grocery store. And if you are a vegan, you're pretty much doing the same thing except with plants. Every other living being on this world survives by eating other living thngs, why should humans be any different?

#75 Tailwind

Tailwind
  • Win points = 2,235,563

• 2576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:31 AM

If you're doing it for "sport", for a trophy, or to just kill a defenseless animal for no good reason, then it's wrong in my eyes. Most people do not need to hunt for food, so that's hardly an excuse for anyone but those living off the grid completely and wanting to be self-reliant. I'm semi-okay with the latter, but only if they take what they need and not kill more then necessary. And even then I pray they're using as much of the animal as possible.

Ultimately I do wish hunting was illegal, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users