• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,908 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:40 PM

"I do feel rather ashamed about it now. I was really, really frustrated and annoyed by years of frustration and then the whole post-sale [of Neopets] experience. That doesn't really justify it but at least you may get where I was coming from. Xweetok and Ogrin were my parting 'gift' to Neopets. I thought they were the most hideous pet designs and worst names I had ever heard, so I approved them... There I said it... I am sure someone is going to come after me now, that was my deepest darkest secret, I never told anyone other than Adam that before now..."

-Donna

From the AMA on reddit: http://www.reddit.co...neopets_ask_me/

Edited by nitro, 07 July 2014 - 09:43 PM.

#2 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4,433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:50 PM

xweetok is the ugliest pet ever? wut. :doh: she could've have tried better. :p

#3 Nanarie

Nanarie
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:11 PM

I remember reading this on reddit too and being kind of shocked about the xweetok. Before the conversion they didn't even have that weird claw thing going on either.

But yeah ogrins are kinda ugly imo. Except for robot ogrins = best pet ever

#4 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2,383 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:21 PM

hahaha well done! they are my least favorite pets. Its good to know someone on TNT has a sense of humor/real human emotions. too funny. I wonder how many other random neopets pets/items/events and themes have been created as a joke or as a dig at someone/thing. lol 

#5 Swar

Swar
  • com muito orgulho, com muito amor <3

• 9,066 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:44 PM

Now I want to see that new game they are making... Probably much better than neopets.

#6 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,908 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:46 PM

God, that entire subreddit made me sad. There was so much that Donna and Adam could have done if they didn't sell to Viacom. They actually cared about Neopets and would have definitely made Neopets a loooooot better :(

#7 SuperDuperPuppu

SuperDuperPuppu
  • 144 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:53 AM

Thanks for linking me to this AMA!

I really enjoyed all the questions, and it helped bring back nostalgic memories.

On the flip side, it sucks to see how much potential was wasted with Neopets.

#8 Jess

Jess
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9,202 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:30 AM

God, that entire subreddit made me sad. There was so much that Donna and Adam could have done if they didn't sell to Viacom. They actually cared about Neopets and would have definitely made Neopets a loooooot better :(

idk, I found it really interesting. I never really thought of Donna and Adam as real people til I read it.

#9 arcanum

arcanum

• 1,748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:08 PM

idk, I found it really interesting. I never really thought of Donna and Adam as real people til I read it.

Agreed.

It was interesting skimming through the AMA. That is hilarious though, I was wondering wtf they were thinking with the ogrin :lol2:

I do like Xweetoks though, well... I like their design, the name of the species is meh.

#10 jonis

jonis
  • 137 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:41 PM

Interesting read that one.

But the Xweetok would probably be classed as a backfire. Popular pet with clothing that are ETS, and definitely not among the ugliest pets in my opinion. Ogrins I can agree upon.

#11 Honchkrow

Honchkrow
  • 908 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:32 PM

Man, reading it made me sad, what i used to think of the two being like Gods of Neopets was actually being treated as regular employees who just had a lot of access to the site. Also, Majal_Kita and Featherally, haven't heard of those two in awhile haha.

#12 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,908 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:39 PM

Man, reading it made me sad, what i used to think of the two being like Gods of Neopets was actually being treated as regular employees who just had a lot of access to the site. Also, Majal_Kita and Featherally, haven't heard of those two in awhile haha.

They don't even have access to their old accounts anymore :(

#13 T2dR

T2dR
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:12 AM

...Am I the only one who likes Ogrins? They remind me of the quagga.

#14 Karla

Karla
  • I live, I learn, I rule.

• 2,347 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:12 AM

...Am I the only one who likes Ogrins? They remind me of the quagga.

You're not the only one.  I kinda like Ogrins because they remind me of giraffes, only with stripes. :p

I'm not too big a fan of the Xweetok however. D:

#15 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1,072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

Xweetok for worst name and design? lol I'll have whatever she's smoking

#16 Docshroomed

Docshroomed
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:14 PM

http://www.reddit.co...sk_me/?sort=top

A fairly recent AMA by good old Donna.

A couple interesting ones.

about scientology

Yes. Although we were not aware of it at first as we were totally naive.

Basically the first group of investors (who were the guys that had spare office space in Glendale as their automotive firm was being downsized) were scientologists.

When we realised it was a bit of a shock. Somewhat awkward moment when you realise you started the biggest entertainment site visited by millions of children and teens, but the upper management you just signed the company over to are part of some weird religion that is banned in some countries...

The company was structured like a scientology org. It didnt really change anything that I noticed apart from some odd test that interviewees had to take consisting of questions like which straight line seemed friendlier and stuff like that. We also had a lot of obscure celebrities coming round the office for tours.

At one time there was some talk about putting scientology education on the site, but we killed that idea pretty sharpish.

Adam and I made sure that it never made its way onto anything site related. Religion and politics were two big no nos for us as far as site content went. Can't say the discussions we had to keep it that way were much fun though!

Hi there!

Thanks for being a monitor all those years ago! I remember those focus groups. I think it was probably one of us. It sounds like the dorky thing we would admit to :)

One of the early fan encounters I remember was in a toy shop in Santa Monica. This lady came up to Adam and I and was quite annoyed. Apparently her account had been frozen and she had driven across the country to confront Adam about it. After venting for a bit she reached into her handbag to pull something out. Adam was totally petrified she had a gun. Fortunately it was just a piece of paper with her username on it.

Still cracks me up to think about it.

It all turned out ok. They had a computer in the toy shop and Adam unfroze her account there and then.

I would say 2002-2003 was the peak. It was pretty insane then.

our original plan with the company we started after Neopets was to make a new virtual world that had moved with the times. Free to play, web and mobile, with built in chat and a more solid fantasy story behind it. That is what we would have wanted to do had we stayed at Neopets.

3HUlDp5.gif?1

Edited by Docshroomed, 07 July 2014 - 06:15 PM.

#17 Nanarie

Nanarie
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

I think someone posted this AMA before. 

But yeah I was too young to appreciate Adam and Donna when they were still around but reading the thread makes me feel so sad :< 

#18 arcanum

arcanum

• 1,748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:21 PM

Yup, it was posted here already:

http://www.neocodex....etok-and-ogrin/

Agreed with post above, too young to appreciate them, it was an interesting read for sure, but some of it did make me pretty sad :/

#19 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6,343 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:25 PM

Merged. a weird merge =/

#20 Jb24

Jb24
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:17 PM

Have they made a similar online game? Because if they haven't they totally should!

#21 Nanarie

Nanarie
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

Have they made a similar online game? Because if they haven't they totally should!

They're in the process of making a new game now. 

#22 abbatoir

abbatoir
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:34 PM

They also talk about what happened with Meteor Games :(  At least they have a good attitude about it.

#23 mst3kluv

mst3kluv
  • 153 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:55 AM

I like Xweetoks. :( They looked pretty.

#24 Honchkrow

Honchkrow
  • 908 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:58 AM

Yeah, xweetoks are cute! D: