Quantcast

Is this "Skinny Girl Shaming"?

bog nudes gross dont click

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:42 AM

Okay so this video has been shared on my Facebook at least a bajillion times by "curvy" girls who really love it and the message it is sending to young women. I watched it and at first I thought wow.. this is really catchy and awesome! 

But after watching the whole thing and listening to the lyrics, I was really irritated that to lift up one body type, the artist resorted to breaking down another body type. Being curvy is great, being skinny is great, both are beautiful, why does one have to be bad while the other is good? This isn't fucking Harry Potter. I've been both curvy and skinny throughout my life and in my more recent years I've been on the curvy side and I would never hate on a thin girl because she is thin when I know how it feels to be judged by my body type. 

Anyone else have thoughts on this? I'm interested to see if I'm the only person who feels this adds to the ridiculous standards society has placed on body image rather than eliminating beauty standards entirely. 

#2 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:53 AM

I see this as fighting fire with fire. This is not the correct solution to the problem at all.

#3 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:02 AM

I see this as fighting fire with fire. This is not the correct solution to the problem at all.

Yeah.. I guess it seems like people are under the impression every thin girl is thin by choice and that's not the case at all. Just the same way it can be difficult for larger women to lose weight, it can be difficult for thin women to gain it, and why should they have to?

#4 Mizk

Mizk
  • 137 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:03 AM

On topic:
Catchy song. I personally didn't find it very "skinny girl shaming". There was one part, but she quickly said "just kidding". That line was probably only inserted to save face, but it is still present.

If you're talking about the "...silicone barbie doll" lyrics, I didn't take it to be shaming of skinny girls. She clearly is not a size 2, siicone enhanced, "barbie" woman, and she says that if that's what you're looking for then move along. Simple as that. I don't feel like she put skinny people down.

Now, my opinions on the subject matter:

Spoiler

Edited by Mizk, 09 July 2014 - 04:04 AM.

#5 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:04 AM

I HATE EVERYTHING BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT ME. SHAME TO EVERYTHING DIFFERENT FROM MY LIFESTYLE.

----

The lyrics for those curious

Because you know I'm all about that bass,
'Bout that bass 'bout that bass, no treble
I'm all 'bout that bass, 'bout that bass, no treble
I'm all 'bout that bass, 'bout that bass

Yeah it's pretty clear, I ain't no size two
But I can shake it, shake it like I'm supposed to do
'Cause I got that boom boom that all the boys chase
All the right junk in all the right places
I see the magazines working that Photoshop
We know that shit ain't real
Come on now, make it stop
If you got beauty beauty just raise 'em up
'Cause every inch of you is perfect
From the bottom to the top
Yeah, my momma she told me don't worry about your size
She says, boys they like a little more booty to hold at night
You know I won't be no stick-figure, silicone Barbie doll,
So, if that's what's you're into
Then go ahead and move along

I'm bringing booty back
Go ahead and tell them skinny bitches Hey
No, I'm just playing I know you think you're fat,
But I'm here to tell you that,
Every inch of you is perfect from the bottom to the top
You know I won't be no stick-figure, silicone Barbie doll,

Then go ahead and move along

#6 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:06 AM

"She says, boys they like a little more booty to hold at night

You know I won't be no stick thin you silly Barbie doll,
Then go ahead and move along!"

"
I'm bringing booty back
Go ahead and tell them skinny bitches Hey!
No, I'm just playing I know you think you're fat,"

Edit: Keil ninja'd me.. but as you can see, she clearly does make comments about skinny girls.

#7 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:19 AM

But I really don't think the song is not targeted to shaming thin people. The first stanza is shaming people who impose other people to the idea that they have to be thin. The artist is saying that she doesn't need people like that in her life.

"I'm bringing booty back

The second stanza I feel is more spiteful than shaming.

#8 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:19 AM

Now, my opinions on the subject matter:

Spoiler

Woah, tell me how you really feel.  :rolleyes: The same can easily be said for people who are too thin. 
That doesn't make it anyone's right to tell them to lose/gain weight, unless it's become a serious health risk. 

#9 Dazz

Dazz
  • Musicyclopedia

• 3242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:20 AM

"
I'm bringing booty back

But I'm here to tell you that, 

Every inch of you is perfect from the bottom to the top

Edit: Keil ninja'd me.. but as you can see, she clearly does make comments about skinny girls.

You can't just cut out half the bars for that last one lol, making moves like a journalist. Anyways i wouldnt say she's skinny shaming, it's a very pro chubby song sure but it's good marketing if you want a hit song, cause there's a lot of chubbies out there to rally behind it.

There's a lot of much better, hard hitting songs with the "love yourself" message for all body types that'll be around for a lot longer. Just let this chick have her 15 mins of fame cause i'm sure that's what she's doing it for.

#10 Mizk

Mizk
  • 137 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:21 AM

"She says, boys they like a little more booty to hold at night" 
Isn't this something all moms of "larger" children tell their kids? That it's ok? This is just the reason her mom told her to comfort her and make her ok with her body

She isn't going to change for someone if they don't like her body. She wont ever be a stick figure

If you want a skinny girl, she aint here. Sorry

"I'm bringing booty back

Like I said, this "just playing" is probably in here to save face. This is the only part of the song I found issue with, but there *is* a jk in there

Edited by Mizk, 09 July 2014 - 04:22 AM.

#11 Karyx

Karyx
  • 162 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:22 AM

IMO if your message is to truly feel comfortable about yourself, you shouldn't feel the need to put anyone else down. Saying something like "We're all perfect the way we are, there isn't one kind of body that's beautiful" would have been a lot more meaningful than: "She says, boys they like a little more booty to hold at night You know I won't be no stick-figure, silicone Barbie doll" But I guess the rhyming is harder :p She's wanting to send the message of acceptance, but making negative comments about another body type in the process. There's just a lack of understanding in the composition, I think. Some girls have a hard time losing weight, and they shouldn't feel bad about that, just as some girls (like me!) who can barely put on any weight at all. Trust me, I feel really gross every time I feel a my ribs through my skin.

#12 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:23 AM

You can't just cut out half the bars for that last one lol, making moves like a journalist. Anyways i wouldnt say she's skinny shaming, it's a very pro chubby song sure but it's good marketing if you want a hit song, cause there's a lot of chubbies out there to rally behind it.

There's a lot of much better, hard hitting songs with the "love yourself" message for all body types that'll be around for a lot longer. Just let this chick have her 15 mins of fame cause i'm sure that's what she's doing it for.

Even without cutting it, the lyrics remain the same :p She is speaking to curvy girls about skinny "bitches". 

I should release my own song about both being sexy. I'll be 9 months pregnant but skinny everywhere else besides my belly so it'll be perfect. ^_^

#13 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6381 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:24 AM

Sure, it mentions "skinny bitches" once, but overall I think it's pushing a pretty positive message:

I see the magazines working that Photoshop

We know that shit ain't real
Come on now, make it stop
If you got beauty beauty just raise 'em up
'Cause every inch of you is perfect
From the bottom to the top

This video is obviously biased to one side, but what about all of the various media outlets that shame overweight people?

I think that hearing a song about how it's OK to be chubby on the radio is pretty tame in comparison to walking into a store and seeing the hundreds of magazines that promote women to get skinny / men to get ripped.

#14 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:27 AM

IMO if your message is to truly feel comfortable about yourself, you shouldn't feel the need to put anyone else down. Saying something like "We're all perfect the way we are, there isn't one kind of body that's beautiful" would have been a lot more meaningful than: "She says, boys they like a little more booty to hold at night You know I won't be no stick-figure, silicone Barbie doll" But I guess the rhyming is harder :p She's wanting to send the message of acceptance, but making negative comments about another body type in the process. There's just a lack of understanding in the composition, I think. Some girls have a hard time losing weight, and they shouldn't feel bad about that, just as some girls (like me!) who can barely put on any weight at all. Trust me, I feel really gross every time I feel a my ribs through my skin.

Right this is pretty much what I was getting at :p
It reminds me of those pictures that are like "real men like curves, bones are for dogs." and things of that nature.

Sure, it mentions "skinny bitches" once, but overall I think it's pushing a pretty positive message:

This video is obviously biased to one side, but what about all of the various media outlets that shame overweight people?

I think that hearing a song about how it's OK to be chubby on the radio is pretty tame in comparison to walking into a store and seeing the hundreds of magazines that promote women to get skinny / men to get ripped.

Oh definitely, it is okay to be chubby. But why does it have to be not okay to be skinny to get that point across? I just think it's really counter productive to write a song about positive body image and then in that song make negative comments about someone who isn't your own body type.

#15 Mizk

Mizk
  • 137 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:27 AM

Woah, tell me how you really feel.  :rolleyes: The same can easily be said for people who are too thin. 
That doesn't make it anyone's right to tell them to lose/gain weight, unless it's become a serious health risk. 

Hah I know right. 

And I agree that no one should tell people to lose/gain weight, but I don't think the answer is to just say "sweetie, you're beautiful" to all of the people who are obese. Curvy is one thing, obese is another. I think the messages in these videos and posts are falling on the wrong ears, rather than that the message is wrong

#16 acrei

acrei
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:42 AM

Well personally, it doesn't really seem to be intentionally targeting thin girls- sure, she does say 'real men like curves, skinny bitches, etc' but to me it doesn't really feel mean spirited at all, just promoting body positivity. Also there is so little media depicting body types on the chubby/fat scale in a positive manner. After all, she does say to love yourself whatever body type you are. Personally I tend to be attracted to 'skinnier' girls but I thought this super cute and catchy- thanks for introducing me to this song ;P

edit; also the only problem I had with this video was her mentioning boys so much haha I feel like girls should be taught she is beautiful no matter what 'boys' think etc etc

Edited by acrei, 09 July 2014 - 04:43 AM.

#17 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6381 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:46 AM

Oh definitely, it is okay to be chubby. But why does it have to be not okay to be skinny to get that point across? I just think it's really counter productive to write a song about positive body image and then in that song make negative comments about someone who isn't your own body type.

That's just it though, I can't see anywhere in the song where she's making serious negative comments about skinny girls (bar the "skinny bitches" comment). 

She's hardly saying that skinny girls are less attractive or worth any less. Unfortunately, on the flip-side, pick up any mainstream beauty magazine and it'll tell you at length how you should try to "lose that extra 15lbs so men will be attracted to you" or "earn that 6 pack so the ladies will like you". 

#18 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:47 AM

edit; also the only problem I had with this video was her mentioning boys so much haha I feel like girls should be taught she is beautiful no matter what 'boys' think etc etc

Definitely! Loving yourself shouldn't be about making someone else love you. If that makes any sense lol

#19 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:49 AM

Well, her saying jk or whatever is neat and all, but she is very clearly saying one body type is better than another throughout the song... at least to men. Can't we just have a song where everyone is beautiful and not about being a certain body type to get laid?

Yeah it's pretty clear, I ain't no size two
But I can shake it, shake it like I'm supposed to do
'Cause I got that boom boom that all the boys chase

She can shake it like she's supposed to cause she ain't a size two. Skinny girls can't shake it like she can, so the boys won't chase them.

Agan, skinny girls have no ass, so unattractive to the men.

#20 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:53 AM

That's just it though, I can't see anywhere in the song where she's making serious negative comments about skinny girls (bar the "skinny bitches" comment). 

She's hardly saying that skinny girls are less attractive or worth any less. Unfortunately, on the flip-side, pick up any mainstream beauty magazine and it'll tell you at length how you should try to "lose that extra 15lbs so men will be attracted to you" or "earn that 6 pack so the ladies will like you". 

For sure and I think those magazines are just as bad if not worse, but I still felt like the mention of skinny girls at all was unnecessary in this song. Unless she was outright saying "Whether you're big or small you're beautiful." but she didn't quite say that despite being very outright about large women being beautiful. I guess it's subjective, as a girl on the chubbier side myself (not just because I am pregnant, I actually am technically overweight even when I'm not pregnant according to my BMI), I really like the general idea of the video and the message it's sending. If I had a curvy daughter, I'd love for her to listen to this song. It's just so frustrating for me to see "skinny bitches" and "stick" and things like that. :/ If there was a video made for underweight girls who are constantly called bulimic and anorexic and the like, they'd get absolutely shit on for saying anything even remotely close to that about curvy girls.

#21 Tailwind

Tailwind
  • Win points = 2,235,563

• 2576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:55 AM

It does really seem to be breaking down the skinny body type to lift our curvier friends up above them, but at the same time it's not really mean spirited. More a poor choice of lyrics, I think.

In the end, we're all beautiful no matter what size we are, and the sooner everyone realizes that, the better.

#22 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:58 AM

In the end, we're all beautiful no matter what size we are, and the sooner everyone realizes that, the better.

I think it'd be much more healthy if we tried to realise that physical appearance really doesn't matter that much at all.

#23 Tailwind

Tailwind
  • Win points = 2,235,563

• 2576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:59 AM

I think it'd be much more healthy if we tried to realise that physical appearance really doesn't matter that much at all.

It doesn't. As cheesey as it sounds really it all comes down to personality.

#24 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:05 AM

I am reading what @Dan's saying and it didn't make sense to me. All I see is overweight, chubby people being lifted up. I don't see all the 'skinny people in the media'.

Then I realized I don't watch TV, I don't read magazines, I live in a 'fat country', and all my chubby fb friends from high school keep posting shit about being whales instead of mermaids. So I am mildly irritated with this song, but mainly because I feel like it's just one thing in a slew of many I look at everyday about how bigger girls are prettier than skinny girls.

#25 Karyx

Karyx
  • 162 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:12 AM

Unfortunately living in a world where the media basically controls everything we see and hear, and a lot of that has to do with skinny/ripped models, it gives a lot of people an unrealistic view of the world :/

There are certainly worse songs about sending the wrong message about body image, but if you're going to try and send a "positive" message, you should do it in a positive way.

(edit: might be important to note that I am eating a bacon cheeseburger as I'm typing this, lol)

Edited by Karyx, 09 July 2014 - 05:13 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bog nudes, gross, dont click

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users