• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#26 Tailwind

Tailwind
  • Win points = 2,235,563

• 2576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:22 AM

(edit: might be important to note that I am eating a bacon cheeseburger as I'm typing this, lol)

Yummm. I'd take that over a salad any day.

#27 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:23 AM

Ask @Emily how excited I get about food.
She knows me. 

#28 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:04 AM

Ugh. I hate shit like this. I hate the use of skinny as a pejorative term, I hate the use of curvy to dress up fat as being okay. Extremes are rubbish and we should all be striving for a normal healthy middle ground for us as an individual and there's nothing wrong with that. Also that song is incredibly irritating. I couldn't even watch the whole thing.

Accept your body whatever it's like and then make it healthy. In the past 8 or 9 years, I've been everything between a very small size 8 (a US 4 I think?) and a 14 (US 10). At my smallest I was in the throes of an eating disorder and battling severe anxiety. At my biggest I was eating far too much and not doing enough and I was fat, no two ways about it. To accept and love my body at either of those extremes (for me, I realise neither is a particularly extreme size) is fucking stupid because neither was healthy or natural for me. If I eat reasonably well and I exercise fairly regularly, I'm a size 10 (US 6). And that's what I need to accept and not try to force my body to be something it's not.

Yes, women need to remember that 99% of the images they see in the media are heavily photoshopped and are not at all representative of any existing woman, including the model themselves. Yes, we need to remember that models and celebrities have nutritionists and trainers and the money for ridiculous food - I'm pretty sure if I was being paid like a Victoria's Secret model I could develop a new found love of kale and go to the gym every day; looking that way is their job, I get paid to write press releases all day and then I have to go the gym and make my own dinner etc. I'm never going to have Candice Swanepoel's body, sad as that is, I'm just not. But remembering that these are unhealthy ideals, doesn't mean that accepting yourself however you are is fine either.

Weight, body image etc is deeply personal and you shouldn't be changing it for the sake of the media, men or anyone else, no. Should you like yourself whatever, sure, self-loathing is horrible and I don't think it helps anyone. But for me, part of loving and accepting my body is realising when it's not healthy and adjusting my lifestyle so that it is. I'm fitter and stronger and my energy levels are higher at this healthy middle ground and I will never accept my body being any other way while it's in my control for it to be this way.

I have a lot more friends who are "naturally" a size 6/8 than are "naturally" a size 16/18. It does seem to have flipped in the last couple of years that because of all this "positive body image", it's suddenly okay to attack slimmer women. 

Tl;dr: I feel a bit too strongly about this sort of thing, your body is nobody else's fucking business but you owe it to yourself to be healthy.

#29 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:20 AM

You owe it to yourself to be healthy.

You really do write press releases, huh? :p

#30 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:56 AM

Ask @Emily how excited I get about food.
She knows me. 

lmao :p Reeses peanut butter cup pie contest

#31 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:00 AM

You really do write press releases, huh? :p

Working from home, I'm in the mindset.

#32 Nanarie

Nanarie
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:16 AM

One of my best friends is a big, curvy girl. On the other hand I'm very skinny and relatively curve-less. I remember one time she complained, "Boys don't like real women like me. They like girls that look like you." I know she was just feeling upset and wasn't deliberately trying to hurt me, but it still hurt like hell. Just because I'm 100 pounds, I'm not a "real woman"? Also, even though we're the same age, I'm a girl and she's a woman?

I was born with the body shape that I have, just as much as she was born with hers. Neither of us should be put down because of that.

Also, the reason why this started was because of boys. Grimy, gross, drunk college boys. So yeah, I agree that it's damn unhealthy to let your insecurities poison your mindset because you're worried about what others think of you.  

#33 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:21 AM

I remember one time she complained, "Boys don't like real women like me. They like girls that look like you." I know she was just feeling upset and wasn't deliberately trying to hurt me, but it still hurt like hell. Just because I'm 100 pounds, I'm not a "real woman"? Also, even though we're the same age, I'm a girl and she's a woman?

Oh Christ, don't get me started on "real women". What the fuck are the rest of us, imaginary?!

#34 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:23 AM

Oh Christ, don't get me started on "real women". What the fuck are the rest of us, imaginary?!

I'm a lamp.

#35 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:25 AM

I'm a lamp.

I love lamp.

#36 Nanarie

Nanarie
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:28 AM

tumblr_mi2e21q66B1rqqme8o1_r1_500.jpg

#37 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:06 AM

Real men like whatever they fuck they want, real women are whatever the fuck they want. Stop making stupid comparisons to other people who. Really. Don't. Matter.

#38 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:17 AM

Real men like whatever they fuck they want, real women are whatever the fuck they want. Stop making stupid comparisons to other people who. Really. Don't. Matter.

Preach it sista!

#39 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:19 AM

Preach it sista!

Shut it

#40 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:24 AM

Shut it

*silently worships*

#41 Dazz

Dazz
  • Musicyclopedia

• 3242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:01 PM

Spoken like a true skinny bitch :p

#42 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:00 PM

I think it's skinny shaming.

If you opened this up on tumblr you would inevitably get people saying that she was driven to the skinny shaming by a male based culture where women are pitted against one another as competition... or something along those lines. I guarantee it.

People should strive for health. I am all for people wanting to accept their bodies but you shouldn't devalue others bodies in doing so.

I remember a friend from high school who was definitely larger than average and she strutted around loving her body but opened up to me and 

admitted that if she could choose her body, she would choose to be smaller but if she didn't accept her larger body she couldn't expect anyone else too.

Either way I'm reminded of this:

tumblr_mkkxnp0gA21qiy9dbo1_400.jpg

#43 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:03 PM

If a fat girl feels better after talking shit about my weight, what do I care? At the end of the day I'm still going to jump rope for 15 minutes and make conscious choices about what I'm eating and she's still going to go eat a whole bag of Doritos in one sitting. I don't give a fuck. We're both still going to have our own separate issues finding underwear and bras that fit us, so it doesn't even fucking matter.

#44 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:18 PM

If a fat girl feels better after talking shit about my weight, what do I care? At the end of the day I'm still going to jump rope for 15 minutes and make conscious choices about what I'm eating and she's still going to go eat a whole bag of Doritos in one sitting. I don't give a fuck. We're both still going to have our own separate issues finding underwear and bras that fit us, so it doesn't even fucking matter.

Not everyone is as self-posessed as you are, prbm :(

#45 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

Wow, I honestly just assumed you were a guy. Learning something new everyday!

As for the song, I think that yes, it's slut shaming. And I don't think it's justified, HOWEVER: in my personal journey of going from a healthy posture to a fat whale figure, I feel like I have gotten waaayy more criticism for being fat (both insults like "fattie!" and 'compliments' like "Wow, you lost a lot of weight, you look a lot better now!" <= which automatically confirms that being fat is considered absolutely hideous). So no, it's not okay to go skinny shaming, but in the vast sea of fat-shaming I hardly think this song should be considered an issue...

#46 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:56 PM

Can we ignore the lyrics for a second and actually watch the damn video? I do not care if the lyrics were tame and mildly shaming skinny girls. The way they treated that poor "skinny bitch" in the video by wrapping her in plastic and throwing their asses at her, knocking her away during the lyric "Go ahead and tell them skinny bitches Hey." So yeah, I'm thinking there's some pretty obvious thin shaming here. The way they treat the poor actor in the video is that she is disgusting, that she is undesirable and that is because of her size.

As someone who ranges from 2-4 in US women's dresses (size 3 in juniors) and size 9 pants, I say fuck you too, Meghan Trainor. I'm not plastic. I'm not a barbie doll. And I sure as hell am not a skinny bitch. And neither was the woman who was deemed to be one in the video either. She had curves. She looked healthy. I'm quite frankly disgusted right now.

#47 Jibrille

Jibrille
  • 462 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

About the music, it's not right. It doesn't matter if that skinny bitch girl always treated you like shit, you don't have the right to tell her she is not beautiful. You need to make her understand everybody has their own qualities, that's what makes everybody unique. Midia has it's responsability, but it's not the only cause.

Well, let me tell something about body shaming, doesn't matter if fat or skinny. I've been a fat person all my life. I weighted around 105kg 2 years ago and now I weight 62kg.

ALL. MY. FUCKING. LIFE. I was told I wouldn't be desirable, because I was fat. Things like "you have such a pretty face, you just need to lose weight" is something I heard from my mother, father and friends. I believed the only way to have someone to like me, even for a friendship was being skinny, because if you are the fat person you can't just be you, you need to have something to make people like you, as we can see from movies... the fat person need to be funny.

I'm not funny, actually I'm the "geek girl" kind. I like movies, books, games. I'm more serious than most people and it was always a struggle in my life. When I was 16 I started dating my ex-girlfriend and she always told me I was beautiful, no matter what, but it took me YEARS to believe her. We were together for almost 8 years and my mother always said I was with her because I tought a man wouldn't love me, so I entered the first relationship I was able to. Yes, she is... religious.

I was getting sick... so much weight was almost making me diabetic and I had a fatty liver. 2 years ago I decided to do a surgery that would change my life, . Bypass gastric surgery. Cut my stomach off. Not being able to eat again normally. Well... I'm skiny now, but now I need to hear "You are so thin, stop losing weight, you look so sick".

I'M SORRY if people can't be happy with their own bodies and have the urge to tell people how miserable they are. Seriously. You need to love yourself no matter what because that's what is really important. If you don't love yourself nobody is going to. I didn't do the surgery to be skinny or to see all my problems vanish, but certainly a few things are easier now, like walking and running.

Here is a pic:

zwykop.jpg

#48 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

I've posted my thoughts on this in another thread I think, but this whole skinny girl shaming thing pisses me off.

Just like how fat girls post how they can't help being fat, I will post the same about how I literally cannot help being skinny.

I eat A LOT and gain 0 weight. I hate it because I'm a stick, I don't have boobs or an ass and it will probably be like that until I get older or have kids. 

I get comments no matter what I eat. If I'm eating a cheeseburger "oh r u trying to gain weight lol" and if I'm eating a salad "eat a cheeseburger pls" SHUT UP I'M TRYING TO SHOVE FOOD IN MY MOUTH HERE

So yeah fuck this body shaming bullshit, it sucks on both sides

#49 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

I've posted my thoughts on this in another thread I think, but this whole skinny girl shaming thing pisses me off.

Just like how fat girls post how they can't help being fat, I will post the same about how I literally cannot help being skinny.

I eat A LOT and gain 0 weight. I hate it because I'm a stick, I don't have boobs or an ass and it will probably be like that until I get older or have kids. 

I get comments no matter what I eat. If I'm eating a cheeseburger "oh r u trying to gain weight lol" and if I'm eating a salad "eat a cheeseburger pls" SHUT UP I'M TRYING TO SHOVE FOOD IN MY MOUTH HERE

So yeah fuck this body shaming bullshit, it sucks on both sides

Nah, I've seen photos of you, you're lovely. <3 Fuck the haters.

People who comment on food choices are the worst. I happen to LIKE salad, it's nothing to do with my weight, some salads are delicious and junk food makes me feel sluggish and awful.

#50 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:04 PM

Nah, I've seen photos of you, you're lovely. <3 Fuck the haters.

People who comment on food choices are the worst. I happen to LIKE salad, it's nothing to do with my weight, some salads are delicious and junk food makes me feel sluggish and awful.

Thank you. I seriously despise anyone who judges others, including myself, on food choices. That is none of your business.. that person is getting energy to continue their day, not to appease your sensibilities about food.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bog nudes, gross, dont click

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users