13 replies to this topic

#1 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

What are your thoughts on this?

I knocked it up pretty quickly in Photoshop yesterday, but I'm warming to it already. /cc @Leeroy @Mai @grapes

zBkqzjJ.png

I think the bottom version could use some smoothing around the curves on the logo part. I'm leaning towards the top version anyway.

#2 sixkitties

sixkitties
  • 90 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:45 AM

I love them!  I wish I could do stuff like that. x.x

but I agree, the bottom one could use a little smoothing around the dragon/hydra.

In my personal opinion, I think it would look cool if you connected the hydra/dragon to the border of the icon, but that's probably just me. 

#3 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:48 AM

I love them!  I wish I could do stuff like that. x.x

but I agree, the bottom one could use a little smoothing around the dragon/hydra.

In my personal opinion, I think it would look cool if you connected the hydra/dragon to the border of the icon, but that's probably just me. 

Yeah, I definitely need to tidy up that bottom part there. There are a couple other areas that I don't like e.g. the large "nose", so I'll probably tidy them up.

I started this as a concept but I'm really happy with the result so I'll work on it more and post it here :)

#4 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

I really like the top version. Also, hail Hydra. (How has no one made that joke yet?)

#5 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:03 AM

I really like the top version. Also, hail Hydra. (How has no one made that joke yet?)

@Kat keeps making that joke when I mention I'm working on it :p

#6 Clutch

Clutch
  • 343 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:33 AM

The bottom one's the best, but they both look good!

#7 grapes

grapes
  • Waser Lave Fan

• 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:06 AM

I like it. :) The bottom one has the same shapes with the colours inverted, right? I'd use some other font for the text though.

btw, I apologize for the tardiness in sending you the work. I was really caught up with school. I'll try to finish the work this weekend.

#8 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:07 AM

I like it. :) The bottom one has the same shapes with the colours inverted, right? I'd use some other font for the text though.

btw, I apologize for the tardiness in sending you the work. I was really caught up with school. I'll try to finish the work this weekend.

Yeah, you're right.

We'll chat over PM :)

#9 Leeroy

Leeroy
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:58 PM

hmm i wish i can help u draw too! @Dan but it looks pretty great! @grapes u did that? nice

anyway i do agree the bottom looks a little cleaning up. but is it me or the Hydra is smiling =] kinda nice

#10 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:02 PM

hmm i wish i can help u draw too! @Dan but it looks pretty great! @grapes u did that? nice

anyway i do agree the bottom looks a little cleaning up. but is it me or the Hydra is smiling =] kinda nice

I did it :) @grapes is working on some other designs for me. :)

You can help for sure, just send me a PM and I'll get you some work to do haha :)

#11 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:23 PM

Looks pretty good so far. Top version is definitely the better one. The eye is much better drawn to a black background white text contrast rather than the opposite. It takes less focus to actually see. As far as the dragon, I'd change the snout to look a little more fierce, trim it down so it's not so upturned as right now it appears kinda goofy/laughing. I'm not sure what you're going for, though. I would also widen the bottom so the neck is not thinning. It looks mildly decapitated and the hydra should appear like it's going towards a body. I hope I'm not being harsh in my critique - it's well intentioned to try to help out. I can do some corrections myself if you'd like so you can see what I mean

#12 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

Looks pretty good so far. Top version is definitely the better one. The eye is much better drawn to a black background white text contrast rather than the opposite. It takes less focus to actually see. As far as the dragon, I'd change the snout to look a little more fierce, trim it down so it's not so upturned as right now it appears kinda goofy/laughing. I'm not sure what you're going for, though. I would also widen the bottom so the neck is not thinning. It looks mildly decapitated and the hydra should appear like it's going towards a body. I hope I'm not being harsh in my critique - it's well intentioned to try to help out. I can do some corrections myself if you'd like so you can see what I mean

Not at all, this is absolutely what I wanted. I'd love to see if you could do anything with it, I can send you along a PSD with the penn'd shape & the inspiration too if that would help. :) Thanks!

#13 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

Kay, so I did some quick work. I tried to keep the original feel for it:

r786le.jpg

#14 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:47 AM

Kay, so I did some quick work. I tried to keep the original feel for it:

r786le.jpg

Hey, I like that a lot! I'll PM you about it and maybe we can work together to get something that I can use. Thanks for the help Steph!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users