• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

So I was out to lunch today with my mom because I don't have friends and we were having a discussion about money. Long story short, my mom likes to save where she can but there are certain things that she will NOT compromise quality and price (since price is USUALLY correlated to quality. Usually).

My mom is someone who will buy $3 shirts that fall apart and discount glassware and utensils and what not, but she will never buy low quality food. Now I don't mean ONLY salmon and ONLY chicken breast, but she won't buy meat if she feels it isn't fresh or fruit that is off-season. For someone so cheap, she only buys high quality food.

My sister will never buy low quality beauty products because that makes her skin break out. Also she really hates low quality toilet paper. I guess that makes sense. But she will never buy a name brand prescription/medication (Although she's a pharmacist so she probably knows what she's doing).

I rarely buy low quality clothes unless I intend them to be for the gym (aka no clothes since I don't go to the gym). I also don't go to low quality restaurants since I'm a snob. I also hate low quality rice. Holy crap. An exception is booze; I usually drink the lowest quality booze because I can't afford 12 ounces of top shelf just to get buzzed.

Anyway, do you have some thing/things that you ALWAYS pay for near top quality?

#2 pistola

pistola
  • 437 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

I always buy top quality clothes and shoes, except for plain white tees and ill buy hanes tees at wal-mart. I like nice watches but not luxury, i have many nixons as that is my favorite brand for a watch, but i would never spend more than a grand on a watch like a rolex unless i was stupid rich, like to where i could use 10 dollar bills to wipe my ass rich. I will normally buy cheap food, like the cheap tuna and bulk cereal because i think they taste similiar, i also only buy cheap booze because its just not worth spending a ton to get tanked on. I stick to cheap gas and cheap ice tea and almost everything else depends on how much money i have.

#3 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:25 PM

When I was younger I could use any shampoo and get away with it. I also never needed facial moisturizer. But as I've aged, my skin and it's needs have changed so I have to spend a bit extra for cleansing conditioners and facial moisturizers because the everyday, run of the mill $2 Suave shampoo and $6 Oil of Olay facial cream weren't cutting it. But I have short hair and a small face, so these things tend to last a while.

My mom never buys store brand anything. But that's because she's not the one working. One day she'll die and I can have the satisfaction of saying I never deprived her of anything. Until that day, though, I'll gripe about it. *grumbles*

We don't care about the 'quality' of our clothes, though. I don't think I've spent over $20 on a single clothing item since I was 15 and got a leather jacket.

#4 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:32 PM

Tyres
Shoes
Suits
Brakes
Bed/mattress
Sex toys/condoms
The last season of Ally McBeale.

#5 Bee

Bee
  • 1169 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

Shoes, bags and food. When I eat red meat (rarely), it's from my local butcher's. Can't stand store-bought meat.

#6 arcanum

arcanum
  • 1748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:53 PM

Mostly the only thing I don't go cheap on it:

Hair care/Skin care

Meats

Other than that, I'm broke... soooo I can't help but be cheap atm. -_-

#7 Karyx

Karyx
  • 162 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:54 PM

Food. Unfortunately it is one of those times that price = quality. Have to be conscious on what I put in my body xD

A good bed, any appliances you are going to need for a long time, one or two good dresses, a good quality backpack (have shoulder problems and need something that really distributes weight), and books. Also some personal care items, since I have sensitive skin, really need to look for ones that work for my skin and usually those are organic or don't come cheap.

#8 sixkitties

sixkitties
  • 90 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:31 PM

I have to think about this: food, i buy mid quality, my husband eats a lot and shit will get expensive real fast, plus i view trying to make lower quality food tasty a challenge and love it. It's like playing a game of chopped with myself. "Oh, i picked up 5 random things from the store with no real plans for dinner... let's make it work." Plus, I make a lot of things from scratch, homemade alfredo, dressings, rubs, ect. And I love cheap ass iced tea, like the kind that's $.50 at a gas station. I know it's probably made with sewer water and not an ounce of tea, but i love it.

Alcohol is normally cheap, for the same reason you stated above. I'm not paying a ton of money to drink half of the bottle in a night (achieving slightly tipsy). Highish tolerances are a bitch.

I buy mostly drug store make up, my skin is pretty hardy, same with shampoo/conditioner and facial scrubs. 

Shit, there is nothing that I have to buy the top tier of. I need to contemplate life.

#9 Chappy

Chappy
  • Cat Savage

• 2341 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:43 PM

This I guess should be catagorized as woman stuff? 
Lotion- I'm allergic to like 90% of the stuff out there so I buy tons of the ones I am not. (aveeno, Nivea is my current favorite :3)

Pads- I will buy the ones I feel most comfortable in.

Underwear- I swear at Target there was a re-packaged one and it was 50%off. Nope nope nope.

I am broke like...all the time so when I have to buy these things I save up in a little box specifically for this. So instead of buying crafting supplies(which I am cheap about too) I would purchase one of these listed above. I don't know if it's being cheap or not, but I like coupons...and use them.

#10 Pamplemousse

Pamplemousse
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:46 PM

Pads, condoms, toilet paper, backpacks. 

For the most part everything else is cheap as possible lol 

#11 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:11 PM

Tyres
Shoes
Suits
Brakes
Fleshlites
The last season of Ally McBeale.

Fixed it for you.

#12 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:20 AM

My mom's the same and won't by crappy food. I don't care quite as much but if e.g. meat tastes awful from a certain supermarket, I won't buy from them again.

I don't care about brands when buying clothes but I don't buy $3 shirts because often the fabric is so thin that they won't survive the washing mashine for long.

The one thing I won't skimp on is drawing supplies. More expensive paint usually have more and brighter pigments.

#13 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:13 AM

I work at a winery part time so I do not skimp on beer or wine. I love my microbrews and red mountain AVA wine, damn it. I don't drink to get drunk, though. I drink to watch music and enjoy the experience. I also like pretty dresses. While I never spend more than $50 on an item, I've gotten somewhat close. My dresses are usually closer to the $25-30 range and my shoes are $20-30. I don't have many shoes, though.

I don't use the cheapest shampoo and conditioner, but it's pretty well priced. $6.99 for a 40oz bottle isn't bad. It goes quickly. My hair is down past my hips. Everything else is usually fair game - there are exceptions. So elegantly put by my ex-husband, store brand Kraft Dinner tastes like "monkey ass."

#14 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:37 AM

Things I never skrimp on:

Hair dye/shampoos

Foundation (all other make-up is fine being cheap)

Everything else I buy as cheap as possible. Even if it falls apart after a week. Why? Because I love stuff and I love shopping :lol: If something breaks I have another excuse to go to the stores. Plus, I'm clumsy as hell so I destroy expensive stuff just as quickly as cheap stuff *shrug*. Thrift stores are my life.

#15 Mandie

Mandie
  • 407 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:51 AM

Pet food.

Hair care....I'm sensitive to most of the cheap ingredients in shampoos.

Meat. I cannot eat 'mosaic' chicken patties or deli turkey slices. As soon as I hit a 'crunch' of bone, I can't eat anymore.

Shoes...I'm not a shoe person, but when I buy a pair of tennis shoes, they have to be decent.

Adult novelties....won't skrimp on them!

#16 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:58 AM

Vitamins, sex toys, some foods, dish soap

#17 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:02 PM

Won't skimp on-

makeup (too much)

Musical instruments

toothpaste

Computers

Candy

#18 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:05 PM

shampoo/condition - if I had to pay for mine it would be like $30each per bottle but since my father's lady friend owns her own salon, i pay cost which is like $15each

foundation/eye shadow: i have sensitive skin so yes I'll pay up the butt for it. I could not care less about mascara, I buy the cheap stuff and my eyelashes look just fine and dandy.

tampons: tampax all the way, i aint puttin no off brand in my vajayjay.

Everything else, I'm not really picky.

#19 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

Toilet paper. The rough one ply isn't worth any amount of money saved...

#20 dmw13

dmw13
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:13 PM

I don't skimp on beer (especially good local craft beer), but I always do on wine. Barefoot is 2/$10 around me and you can't beat that!

#21 Nanarie

Nanarie
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:17 PM

Chocolate and ice cream.

Because I'm allergic to some of the chemical/artificial shit that they put in cheap chocolate and ice cream and it'll make me have terrible throat pain/rashes. 

And I guess face products. I mean I'm not buying $90 shiseido but I'm sticking to pure jojoba oil and not some $1 moisturizer or some shit. 

#22 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:36 PM

Shoes - I run round the city in the same pair of ballet pumps for months on end, £10 Topshop ones fall apart in 6 weeks. Decent ones last me a couple of years. Ditto heels for work and performing, better to spend the money on something comfy and then have enough time to notice they need reheeling/resoleing. Cheap shoes are a false economy. :(

That's probably the only thing I'm actually fussy about, although given the option I tend not to go dead cheap for either meat or skincare. But I'll make do if need be. :p

#23 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

Toilet paper. The rough one ply isn't worth any amount of money saved...

ooh how could i forget this one? Charmin Ultra Soft if my TP of choice :p

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kate nudes, quite skrimpy, not shrimpy, allergy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users