Quantcast

The Great Knitting/Crochet Thread

knitting crochet stitch isthisart

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:36 PM

I didn't know where to put this, it's kinda art right? I was thinking General Entertainment but that seemed mostly like... electronic related stuff? Anyway, I wanted to start a thread for people like me who are into knitting or crocheting or anything similar.. (cross-stitch is still a thing right?)

Here you can ask for help, post tips, patterns, advice, do's/don'ts, pictures of your current projects, etc. 
Personally I just started knitting a few months ago and when my power went out due to Hurricane Arthur I started my first knitting project which is a baby throw/blanket/wrap for the baby. It's a pretty good beginner project and I'll post pics of my progress and stuff as I go along. I attempted to arm knit after I saw a picture on @Nymh's facebook that inspired me, it was a major fail.. yarn everywhere. 
cat+yarn.jpg

So what kind of yarn-y hobby do you have? Do you crochet or knit or cross stitch? 
What was your first project ever and how did it turn out?

PROGRESS PICS:
You can see in the first pic that I was fucking up a lot, there's a lot of gross spots in the pink.

Spoiler

When the work is off the needle it's not scrunched up like that, I just don't have those tubey needles so I had to scrunch it up all stupid and fit as many stitches on as possible. 

#2 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

That's it, I'm going to get the needles and yarn ASAP!! So I can use this book Dan bought me: http://www.amazon.co...m/dp/1909397385

I love stuff like this I'm just laazyy :x

#3 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

I actually still cross-stitch...

I crotchet a little, mainly kitchen scrubbies. I'll find one and post a picture later. I want to learn to knit. This kind of stuff is really winter time stuff here, when we're stuck inside and school is in session.

#4 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:48 PM

That's it, I'm going to get the needles and yarn ASAP!! So I can use this book Dan bought me: http://www.amazon.co...m/dp/1909397385

I love stuff like this I'm just laazyy :x

I am lazy too! That's why it took me months after actually starting to learn to start a real project. I find the best time to learn is when you're chilled out watching shit on netflix. Youtube is seriously a god-send for me. It's so easy when you have all these tutorials at your finger tips, just a matter of getting the supplies you need.

I have basic supplies but I need a darning needle for when I am finished, weaving in loose ends. I also want bigger needles and thicker yarn for stuff like adult scarves and blankets. The stuff I have right now is meant for babies.

I actually still cross-stitch...

I crotchet a little, mainly kitchen scrubbies. I'll find one and post a picture later. I want to learn to knit. This kind of stuff is really winter time stuff here, when we're stuck inside and school is in session.

Yeah, I think it would take me so long at this point that starting now and having it done by winter is my best option lmao

#5 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:51 PM

I am lazy too! That's why it took me months after actually starting to learn to start a real project. I find the best time to learn is when you're chilled out watching shit on netflix. Youtube is seriously a god-send for me. It's so easy when you have all these tutorials at your finger tips, just a matter of getting the supplies you need.

I have basic supplies but I need a darning needle for when I am finished, weaving in loose ends. I also want bigger needles and thicker yarn for stuff like adult scarves and blankets. The stuff I have right now is meant for babies.

Yeah, I think it would take me so long at this point that starting now and having it done by winter is my best option lmao

Youtube IS amazing. That reminds me.. when my grandma was crocheting she asked me to help her look up videos "on the YouTubes" so she could do it right, lol

#6 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

Youtube IS amazing. That reminds me.. when my grandma was crocheting she asked me to help her look up videos "on the YouTubes" so she could do it right, lol

Lol awww! Crocheting looks like a lot of fun, I am just pretty sure I'd fuck it up. 

#7 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

I'm clearly out of my depth here, but I did some cross-stitching (I think it was cross-stitching) once - I was 5, perhaps? I made a really small picture of a racing car; I was really proud of it at the time. :p I also have a multi-coloured knitted scarf from my nan. I get banter for it, but whatever. It's warm. :)

I am amazed at how people are able knit stuff though. It's like.... you start with a ball of yarn and stuff, and you turn it into something useful and complex. That's so awesome! :D

#8 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:07 PM

I do all of these things!  My first ever project was a big rainbow granny square afghan that I made about 15 years ago, lemme go take a picture of it *scampers off*

9OJAZqXl.jpg

I was taught to crochet by my grandmother, and then I taught my other grandmother how :p  I learned to knit a few years later, but hadn't really started knitting until 2-3 years ago.

I have a few projects going right now, one is a purse for my daughter (crochet), one is a shawl for me (knitted) and one is a secret project for a secret someone.

I would highly recommend joining ravelry.com, it's where I get most of my patterns.

#9 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:10 PM

I do all of these things!  My first ever project was a big rainbow granny square afghan that I made about 15 years ago, lemme go take a picture of it *scampers off*

9OJAZqXl.jpg

I was taught to crochet by my grandmother, and then I taught my other grandmother how :p  I learned to knit a few years later, but hadn't really started knitting until 2-3 years ago.

I have a few projects going right now, one is a purse for my daughter (crochet), one is a shawl for me (knitted) and one is a secret project for a secret someone.

I would highly recommend joining ravelry.com, it's where I get most of my patterns.

That afghan is awesome! I am jealous! For your first project it turned out really lovely. Mines all blotchy and shit but I figure I'll get better with practice.

#10 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

That afghan is awesome! I am jealous! For your first project it turned out really lovely. Mines all blotchy and shit but I figure I'll get better with practice.

You will.  Your stitches will become more consistent and you won't have to pay attention to it as much.  It doesn't take long.

#11 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

You will.  Your stitches will become more consistent and you won't have to pay attention to it as much.  It doesn't take long.

I'm going to try that website you mentioned right now :p

#12 Lily

Lily
  • 279 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:19 PM

9OJAZqXl.jpg

Wow, that is amazing :o

I knitted myself a scarf a long time ago. I'm not sure if I can find it, though.

#13 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:32 PM

oh man you guys are super talented! 

I was in the knitting club in junior high (cool right?) and i knitted a scarf! 

One day I will pick up knitting again, mostly after this residency is done b/c right now I don't even have time to sleep/eat/shower :( 

#14 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:49 PM

I think a bingo thread should be made too.

#15 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

I learned how to crochet at summer camp one year when I was a kid, but I haven't made anything in a long time. I should really get some yarn so I can start up again. I think I still have a few hooks somewhere.

#16 Chameleon

Chameleon
  • vampire or somesuch

• 627 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

I knit, and I used to weave.  (No loom atm)  For a bunch of fun projects check out http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/0761128182 this book.  It's a fun book for beginners and every day knitters.  

#17 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

9OJAZqXl.jpg

WOW! 

The only thing i have ever been able to knit are scarves, or scarf-like 'things' (for lack of a better word).. generally not even worthy of the title 'scarf' lol. I LOVE knitted blankets though, they are so warm! :)

Edited by Prisca, 20 July 2014 - 03:19 PM.

#18 Karyx

Karyx
  • 162 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:23 PM

I've only ever crocheted, I learned when I was in High School and took a liking to it. I've done a round tablecloth my grandmother's house - that's the biggest project I've done :) I'm trying out a few Pokemon patterns and hopefully they won't be hideous and scar my kid for life.

#19 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:38 PM

I learned how to knit and crochet when I was a kid but that was in school. I think my mum taught me how to knit but I never picked it up again after I was 10 or so.

A while ago I fangirled over some really cute crochet Pokemon and wanted to relearn it. But I'm more of a sewing type of person and would rather start making plushies again before I learn something new >_<

#20 rintastic

rintastic
  • 75 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:42 AM

i have a half finished sweater hanging out on needles, along with a bunch of other half finished projects.....I just cant seem to finish anything. the worst is socks though.  once i finish one sock, i never want to go back and make the other!

#21 Chappy

Chappy
  • Cat Savage

• 2341 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

I used to cross-stitch. *shuffles awkwardly* But I did know how to knit around 6 years ago. I didn't like it very much. I do like to sew quite recently. I got a machine ,but still learning how to use it. for now its all hand sewing :D

#22 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

I do a pretty good line in baby booties for various friends and colleagues when they have small folk, aside from that, completely useless.

#23 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:37 PM

I've crochetted here and there.

Spoiler

#24 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:49 PM

I've crochetted here and there.

Spoiler

You are a pro. I've seen the cat pattern (It was made for Trich right?) and I REALLY love the Nyan Cat one. ♥

#25 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:09 AM

Once you learn how to make a granny square, and how to sew them together, the possibilities are endless.

Since we're all yarn lovers here, how much do y'all spend on yarn? As much as I love yarn, I scoff at anything when it's not on sale or at 2/$5 or less. I typically use acrylic cheap ass yarn, because it comes in so many colors. I have bins and bins full. I haven't ever used wool or any of the thick yarns, because I live in south Texas and there's only a need for anything that warm for 2 days out of the year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users