Quantcast

Photo

Anybody interested in a Minecraft server for Codex?

minecraft server

66 replies to this topic

Poll: Neocodex Minecraft Server

Are you interested in playing Minecraft?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

How much time do you think you'd play? (This is to gauge server load.)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Would you be willing to contribute financially to maintain a server?

Should there be any requirements to be permitted access?

Would this be your first time playing?

Would you like to run Vanilla (not modded) or Feed The Beast (added features/recipes/gameplay)?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:23 AM

ZombieFace.pngNeocodex Minecraft ServerZombieFace.png

Hey guys! I've been sitting on this idea for a long time and I think it's time I officially ask your opinions on the matter.

How many of you guys would be interested in playing Minecraft with your fellow Codexians? I personally not 100% sure on the popularity of the game among members of the forum. Please voice any and all opinions you may have on the matter!

Some things I should say right off the bat

1) I am not very familiar with hosting a modded server. In the beginning (2-3 months), it will be a vanilla server. (Not to mention it will keep server costs to a minimum.)

2) The server will have a whitelist. People can only access the MC server if they are added to the aforementioned list. Should there be any requirements (post count, rank, etc...)?

3) Funding will be a factor. Please have any suggestions for what host we should use and whether or not you'd contribute. (the amount will of course vary on how many people show interest.)

4) Contests? Competitions?

5) The server WILL abide by any and all Neocodex rules. No exceptions.

Please voice any and all opinions on the matter!
I'll add a small poll right off the bat but will amend it with any suggestions you have.

#2 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:13 AM

This is a great idea! I have no idea about hosting a server, but I played in one this month and it was pretty nice (but I stopped playing because someone stole all my stuff 3 times :p)

When I get home I'll post more about some ideas.

#3 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:27 AM

Small community servers can be really fun. Sounds like a great idea!

#4 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:32 AM

Sounds like fun. I've never played minecraft, but this just might get me to start. As for funding, why not hold fundraising contests? The people who give the most receive some sort of prize/award.

#5 Chappy

Chappy
  • Cat Savage

• 2341 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

I would love this~ I think we could split the cost too. I mean if you're playing on it I think the nicest thing to do is to contribute. I like @Satsuki 's idea on fundraising contest and stuff XD Or just have a page of requests and people pay to see it? Idk if that makes sense. I think there should be some kind of rules ,just so we don't get people ruining all the fun. (like people who steal and murder everyone constantly) Dare I say 50 posts?

#6 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:58 AM

Sounds like fun. I've never played minecraft, but this just might get me to start. As for funding, why not hold fundraising contests? The people who give the most receive some sort of prize/award.

I've never played minecraft either, but playing with some people on Codex might get me interested.

#7 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:20 AM

Dare I say 50 posts?

Yeah, I think that's a reasonable ammount of posts. Maybe the members could vote for applications, so the chances of people who steal and destroy stuff be in the server would be low?

#8 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1542 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

This is something that i've personally wanted to do for some time. @Ivysaur why don't you hop on IRC and we can discuss a few things :)

#9 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:09 PM

We could even utilise the applications mod so people could apply for access? Just a thought. I've never played Minecraft either, but if there was enough interest, I'd be keen to try it out :)

#10 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:18 PM

I've never played minecraft either, but playing with some people on Codex might get me interested.

We could even utilise the applications mod so people could apply for access? Just a thought. I've never played Minecraft either, but if there was enough interest, I'd be keen to try it out :)

You people... minecraft is great.

#11 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:25 PM

You people... minecraft is great.

All I know is never dig straight down and creepers blow up your house.

#12 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

I miss playing on a server (and in general), so yeah, I'm definitely interested.

#13 Chappy

Chappy
  • Cat Savage

• 2341 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:40 PM

Yeah, I think that's a reasonable ammount of posts. Maybe the members could vote for applications, so the chances of people who steal and destroy stuff be in the server would be low?

That's a good idea too. We could always update if we get enough funds to use things like FTB and other mods.

I got a feeling you'd like it~ There's a reason it's still alive and tons of people are on it~ 

And omg a pyro sighting!

Edited by Chappy, 21 July 2014 - 12:40 PM.

#14 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:58 PM

Love Minecraft, it would be fun to play with you guys!
Maybe for the requirements just simply a few weeks as a member and a certain number of posts?

#15 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:06 PM

It would be neat to run a Vent server (or similar) alongside it, unless you can mod MC to include voice chat?

#16 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

It would be neat to run a Vent server (or similar) alongside it, unless you can mod MC to include voice chat?

Mumble is the best option.

#17 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:09 PM

Mumble is the best option.

Yeah, or mumble. Whatevs.

#18 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:49 PM

As long as I fit the criteria I'm fine with anything xD Would love me some minecraft on a server. It gets so lonely on your own.

#19 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

Perhaps a requirement to play on the server could be Advanced membership or higher, and the administration could use subscription/ad money to pay for the server? I have no idea about the feasibility of that (how much do servers even cost?); just a thought.

#20 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1542 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:01 PM

I am already in talks with @Hydrogen to see what we can do about helping to fund the server. I will get back to you on this :)

#21 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:02 PM

Perhaps a requirement to play on the server could be Advanced membership or higher, and the administration could use subscription/ad money to pay for the server? I have no idea about the feasibility of that (how much do servers even cost?); just a thought.

The one I had my eye on is around 24 bucks a month?

I am already in talks with @Hydrogen to see what we can do about helping to fund the server. I will get back to you on this :)

I'd be willing to make monthly contributions as well.

#22 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1542 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

The one I had my eye on is around 24 bucks a month?

I'd be willing to make monthly contributions as well.

Get on IRC :p

#23 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

$24 is nothing really -- and it might even be able to self-host on an EC2 instance if we so desired.

#24 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:43 PM

Hey guys! I added 2 more questions to the poll!

Please cast your votes!!!

#25 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

Mods sound like a nice option, mainly because to me adding extra stuff always makes a game more fun.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minecraft, server

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users