Photo

Google Domains

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

So Google is moving into the domain registrar field and is opening with a pretty competitive offer. Essentially they will offer all the usual benefits of domain registration however in specific they will cover the cost of private registration, which almost all other registrars charge anywhere from $20-30 a year. Google only charges $12 for all of the features, so it can end up saving you quite a bit. Also, the DNS queries resolve in Google's data centers, so faster website loading! 

For a list of all the features, see here: https://domains.goog...t/features.html

For those interested in being apart of the beta, let me know and I can grab you a key. 

Edited by Josh, 03 August 2014 - 01:49 PM.

#2 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

:/ Namecheap offers Whois protection for free for the first year and then $3 a year after that.

It's cool to see Google getting into domains but I haven't seen anything hugely revolutionary yet...

#3 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:58 PM

:/ Namecheap offers Whois protection for free for the first year and then $3 a year after that.

It's cool to see Google getting into domains but I haven't seen anything hugely revolutionary yet...

That's because there's not much to revolutionize :p Other than the faster DNS resolution (which isn't THAT much overall faster), the only other thing Google is offering at this point is the future ability to pick different domain endings. 

Honestly though, I think the best part of this is that they are actively taking feedback from beta testers (via their G+ page) including feature requests. All it takes is someone's revolutionary idea and Google's pockets to change things. 

Edit: Also, their doing smaller things like working with Wordpress to instantly attach the domain to a Wordpress hosted blog (no hassles attached). Doesn't seem like much, but to the average Joe it actually can save quite a headache. 

Edited by Josh, 03 August 2014 - 03:00 PM.

#4 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

That's because there's not much to revolutionize :p Other than the faster DNS resolution (which isn't THAT much overall faster), the only other thing Google is offering at this point is the future ability to pick different domain endings. 
Honestly though, I think the best part of this is that they are actively taking feedback from beta testers (via their G+ page) including feature requests. All it takes is someone's revolutionary idea and Google's pockets to change things.

It's hard not to be excited about something your own employer is doing, I get that :p

#5 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:08 PM

It's hard not to be excited about something your own employer is doing, I get that :p

Yeah, I can't escape the bias :p The purpose of this topic was more to offer it up to interested parties because at the moment it's in closed beta and only Googlers can hand out keys. 

#6 theorange

theorange
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:32 AM

It doesn't look to be that revolutionary compared to the current market offerings already out there.

It is always good to have more competition though, especially with google being one of the competitors, this can only lead to cheaper/better web domains for everyone :)

#7 Kway

Kway
  • Proud to be a Brony

• 1242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:47 AM

I looked at that page you linked and noticed it mentions new domain endings. Does that mean the .ponies top-level domain that Google teased about is going happen?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users