You distinctly said 'sex', not masturbation. :p

I don't have sex, sex is gross. And by gross I mean awesome. What?¿ @Boggart

#27 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:59 AM

The obvious solution if you've lost 70% sensation is to make up for it by doing it for 3.33x longer. Your partner will appreciate it whether that's yourself or somebody else. :p

#28 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:24 AM

so gross

#29 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:54 PM

I grew up in downtown 'Merica, so it was drilled into me from a young age that my basic rights are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Later, I added the right to vote, the right to own weapons, and other constitutional things. It wasn't til @Kate made her thread about tubal ligation that I realized I consider my fertility a right, that I would be devastated and furious if it were taken away from me without my consent. (I had always thought of uterus' rights in terms of abortion and removal of unwanted things, because currently my rights to keep wanted things are almost guaranteed.)

What do you consider basic human rights? Do you disagree with mine?

I just read an article on NPR about infertile couples lobbying for infertility treatments to be covered by medical insurance since in vitro fertilization, fertility drugs and surgeries are very expensive. Would you agree that access to medical care to aid fertilization is a human right?

#30 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:58 PM

I just read an article on NPR about infertile couples lobbying for infertility treatments to be covered by medical insurance since in vitro fertilization, fertility drugs and surgeries are very expensive. Would you agree that access to medical care to aid fertilization is a human right?

It's just as much of a right as access to medical care to prevent fertility.

#31 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:06 PM

I don't believe "health care" is a right although I am sure many here will disagree.

Edited by talbs, 06 September 2014 - 02:07 PM.

#32 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:15 PM

It's just as much of a right as access to medical care to prevent fertility.

I agree. I think all areas of reproductive care should be covered. Reproduction (or lack thereof) is a human right.

#33 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:18 PM

I don't believe "health care" is a right although I am sure many here will disagree.

Would that not fall under the inalienable right to life?

#34 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:20 PM

Would that not fall under the inalienable right to life?

Are we simply talking "access" to health care or the debate as to who is footing the bill? 

We are given the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. We weren't born with a right to a trip to Disneyland, or a meal at Mcdonald's, or a kidney dialysis (nor the 18th-century equivalent of these things). All these legitimate rights have one thing in common: they are rights to action, not rewards from other people. The American rights impose no obligations on anyone other than the individual. The system guarantees you the chance to work for what you want, not to be given it by somebody else*, and I am fine with that. 

*Or at least it used to.  :lol2:

Edited by talbs, 06 September 2014 - 02:26 PM.

#35 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:23 PM

Are we simply talking access to health care or the debate as to who is footing the bill?

Health care isn't the same as talking about insurance.

#36 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:24 PM

Are we simply talking access to health care or the debate as to who is footing the bill?

If somebody has an inalienable right to life surely that means that their inability to pay for health care shouldn't deny them that right? If somebody dies because they couldn't afford life-saving treatment then they've been denied their right to life.

#37 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:28 PM

This is America. Tax payer funded healthcare is nothing more than a privilege only to be rewarded to the fully deserving. Like the United States Congress.

http://articles.lati...gress-benefits2

#38 Chappy

Chappy
  • Cat Savage

• 2341 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:36 PM

This is my weird view of heath care bills and stuff:

See I think in America we are given rights, but its not merited as a gift. We somehow have to earn it. Whether or not I agree with that it's kinda the place we live in. If someone is homeless and they got into an accident (God forbid)  and they go to the Emergency room they can get treated. If you have Cancer you may not be treated if you don't have the luxury of money. So in that sense you'd have to earn money to earn heath. Yes you have a right, but you got to somehow earn it.

#39 masxed

masxed
  • 712 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:03 PM

I think the whole concept of "rights" is flawed, and not useful in very many contexts.

I second this. I believe humans should have free will, and sometimes the concept of rights actually seems to deny free will. People begin to think that a right is a special exception to an otherwise inevitable suppressed and imprisoned life and somehow they don't always find something wrong with that way of thinking.

Some people say that nobody has the right to lay a hand on another human as in a blow to the face, but it appears to me that anybody can do that if they chose. It's just a matter of if they find it immoral or not, chose to, etc. So if they believe that nobody has the right to do that then why have I needed to defend myself against a drunk person doing that same thing in the past? I'm pretty sure the sloppy drunk didn't defy any rules of reality haha.  :ninja2:  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: merica, debate, sumshit, abortion, life, liberty, happniess

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users