• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:30 PM

Today in school we talked about our clinical reasoning exams. To put it simply, standardized patients come to us with problems and we have 15 minutes to do an interview, physical and come up with a diagnosis and treatment just like a real doctor would. Most of our class was really nervous and panicky just talking about. I was included in the people who are nervous about these examinations.

Then I got to thinking: these exams are supposed to reflect what we could potentially be doing as doctors in a few years. And by that time, hypothetically, it'll just be part of our every day routine.

Question to you all: Is there anything in life where you were extremely nervous/dreading to do, but once you got the hang of it, it's extremely easy/you're really good at it.

I remember I used to hate to do presentations and write/give speeches. I was terrified of public speaking. But in high school we were forced to do it to the point where I found out I'm a good public speaker. Presently, I love public speaking and it's actually one of my biggest strengths.

Do you have anything like that? I also remember dreading starting any new job because I was nervous I would screw up and absolutely dread going in for training. But after a few weeks, I was always good at what I did.

#2 coqs

coqs
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:39 PM

Well, I'm a hairdresser and you can imagine that the first time I grabbed a pair of scissors and went near someone else's head I was terrified of cutting an ear or leaving a nasty mark, but now I just cut hair without even thinking, and I have never done anything bad to any of my clients

#3 blue

blue
  • doge

• 2048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:22 PM

Weight lifting.

Still a struggle because more weights and all, but you always dread the aches and pains in the beginning and it was nerve wracking learning about different lifts and testing what amount of weight you can actually start off at.

#4 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:27 PM

Spending my life on the internet.

I used to spend very little time doing it and now, I spend all day on it. kek.

#5 Michaelhex

Michaelhex
  • 1018 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:46 PM

Somewhat same as me :D I remember back in school I was so afraid standing in front of the class for a presentation my leg shivers uncontrollably and my speech went numb, head gone completely blank. I believe I stood quiet for about five minutes without saying anything ! :D until the teacher realizes something was wrong and gave a shout. But yeah, gradually with practices and more school presentations I got the hang of it, but there is some time I still do freeze for a sec because I didn't know what to say.

#6 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:26 PM

Coming up with the reason why a bone looked the way it did.

I wanna be a forensic anthro major so making these kind of calls has to be second nature. Now I can look at a skull, tell you why that hole is a gunshot and tell you what kind of bullet was used. :3

Also, activating phones. Shit is intimidating as hell.

#7 Kway

Kway
  • Proud to be a Brony

• 1242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:41 PM

I felt like that before Basic Training. I was so fucking worried about getting yelled at for forgetting something or making a mistake. I would practice but was never able to take it seriously enough to get it right every time. By the time I got there and the yelling started, I went into a sort of auto-pilot mode and was saying all the lines correctly and not making a single mistake.

Only part that sucks about it is that I can't really think in this auto-pilot mode so if I make a mistake and get yelled at, I try to figure out my mistake and break out of auto-pilot or I stay in auto-pilot and can't remember what happened. Nothing like being asked "What did I just tell you?!" and then thinking "Oh fuck, what did he say?!" My auto-pilot was slowly learning how to respond to yelling from mistakes and I snap out of auto-pilot if I get asked a trick question. Standing there trying to figure out the answer for a minute resulted in yelling but not as much as my flight mates received when they give the wrong (canned) answer to a trick question.

#8 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:03 AM

Driving. Back when I was old enough to drive, my folks always discouraged me from it by naming all the risks that came with it, so I was afraid then. When I graduated college, I learned how to drive, still scared of crashing, and my parents didn't really help by yelling at me while driving. When I started driving on my own and did it more often, I got more comfortable with it and it feels so easy. I felt invincible. XD

#9 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:22 AM

Fighting/restraining people. Put a 19 year old kid in a silly outfit and tell them to restrain 3 big burly blokes kicking off and you'll see the eyes go like a deer in headlights.

Eventually I got used to it within about...6 months ish and now it's second nature. It's always funny to take out the new guys and see their faces drop though.

#10 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:02 AM

Being a mom is like that for me. I was scared of giving birth, scared of being responsible for little people, everything. I through a giant party when the oldest turned one cause I was so excited I hadn't killed or maimed her in her first year of life. Now I can do it like it's nothing. It's still scary sometimes, but only when I think about it too hard.

Pressure canning was another one. My step mom told me they could blow up and I put it off and put it off til I couldn't anymore. Now, the hardest part is lifting the thing.

#11 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:07 AM

public speaking all through my school years. I would nearly faint from anxiety, just being in front of people scared the shit out of me and I would want to cry and curl up in a ball and die. It wasn't until my first office job that I was forced to regularly give announcements during staff meetings that I became comfortable with talking in front of groups. 

Now I can get up and give a speech like it's nothing :) I still die a little inside but not nearly as bad as when I was younger

#12 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:53 AM

Literally anything I haven't done before, or don't do regularly...

#13 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:21 AM

It's usually getting used to a new job or meeting new people.

I'm really careful with how I do a new job and the actions I take, but after I'm used to it I don't think about everything I do and tend to care less about things I know don't matter as much.

With people I'm always paranoid I'll do or say something stupid because I'm nervous around them. Mostly because I don't know how they'll react to things I say. I tend to make dumb jokes to ease the awkward silence and a lot of times they don't work where I'm employed.

#14 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:32 AM

I'm with Sweeney. Everything new frightens me. I'm a very anxious person.

#15 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:49 AM

Flying alone. I used to be afraid to fly by myself. Once I went to college, I had to fly by myself - there was no way around it :p unless I didn't want to go home for the holidays. Now, I'm completely fine with it.

I was afraid of going away to college too but now it's completely normal to me. I've been living away from home for three years.

I don't know. I'm usually afraid of new things, but once I do them, I'm good.

#16 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:51 AM

I'm afraid to fail with almost every new experience. But they usually don't turn out as bad as I thought. Right now, I'm relearning driving (I didn't drive for the last six years) and now have to drive every day to work. It's okay for me, but I'm still not entirely comfortable with it. Stuff like that takes a long time for me to get used to.

It may sound stupid but when I started playing League, I got super nervous before every PvP game. xD And I rarely played solo queue so I was afraid people would flame me to no end and that I couldn't take it. Now I just don't care anymore.

#17 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:46 AM

Literally anything I haven't done before, or don't do regularly...

You struggle or frightened of everything, ever then?

#18 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:29 AM

You struggle or frightened of everything, ever then?

Something like that.

#19 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:34 AM

Pussy.

#20 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:25 PM

Pussy.

Yet another thing to be afraid of.

#21 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:39 PM

tumblr_mf2z9eYo7Y1retz2xo1_500.jpg

#22 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:47 PM

I LOL'd  :lol2:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kate nudes, shes an animal, baby its, in her nature

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users