• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#51 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:07 AM

I feel like if people want to contribute they will. I tried inviting my friends here but they just didn't feel like sticking around because the place was so dead they forgot to log in or because they didn't feel welcome here. It sucks because for the most part this is a great community but what does it say about this place when multiple people have stated that they refrain from posting because they're too afraid to speak their minds?

#52 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:42 PM

I understand the intention but I can't help but feel this is far too fragmented - a number of these roles are already filled without the need for a team badge, and I think we can probably merge some.

We could shrink the number of new teams down to 3 (from 6).

• Content creators (regular contributors of guides, experts on various game subject matter, also encompassing the previous News Team role)
  • Graphic designers (aka graphics team)
  • Recruiting team (bringing new users to the forum)

... and keep the already established teams:

• Programmers
  • Contest team 

I don't think we need to go into any finer detail, and we especially don't need a "newbie helper" or "greeters" team as these two roles are already filled. I don't remember the last time an intro thread went ignored, or a new member didn't get help when they needed it (usually from @Napiform -- which is a big reason she got the MOTM award). Other forums might need to force people to do these things, but our members are friendly enough to do it without being prompted. Instead of establishing a team, why don't we just have an award for greeting & helping out members new to the forum? 

The more teams we have the harder this is going to be to manage. I also feel "project managers" and "team leaders" can naturally emerge rather than being appointed from the very beginning. Let people earn the "team leader" role through putting in hard work and then proving they're up for the job.

Overall, I totally support a re-jigging of the groups and teams here at Codex and we've already proven we can do that with some success if you look at the Contest team and the hard work done over the last year. My only worry is that we won't have enough people with the relevant skill-sets to fill these roles, but I have no idea how many responses you've received thus far.

---

As far as programming goes, as you already know, we are currently stricken by the current administration and there are ongoing recent discussions about this. I hope that if we can re-form some kind of team of like-minded people who are interested in contributing to some interesting projects and we may actually be able to innovate some. This is where a number of the issues we're seeing stems from, most else are just symptoms. 

Many of you might not play Neopets anymore, but please do not underestimate the effect new programs and tools could have on a new era of Neocodex. Don't forget, it's the reason you all joined in the first place!

I'd be alright shrinking the number of teams down to three.

An award sounds like a really good idea for forum greeters and perhaps even for newbie helpers.  It takes a special type of person to consistently answer questions about Ambrosia politely and without making the person asking feel like they are stupid, so I think that should definitely be recognized for those that go above and beyond to provide help to people.

I am good with the idea of team leaders emerging naturally, but I feel like we do need some people dedicated to project management in order to get the ball rolling on a number of different projects.  I feel like if we have a bunch of people committed to helping but no one directing them on what to work on, it's not really going to accomplish much.

I haven't had anyone apply as a programmer yet but I have had applications for every other position so far!  I'm heartened because it's not even been a day yet since this thread was posted, and I'm sure there will be more people expressing interest.

#53 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:50 PM

@arcanum and @Trichomes... you shall be my muses.

#54 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:34 PM

I will be sending my app once i get home.

Still at work T_T

#55 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:39 PM

I'd be alright shrinking the number of teams down to three.

An award sounds like a really good idea for forum greeters and perhaps even for newbie helpers.  It takes a special type of person to consistently answer questions about Ambrosia politely and without making the person asking feel like they are stupid, so I think that should definitely be recognized for those that go above and beyond to provide help to people.

I am good with the idea of team leaders emerging naturally, but I feel like we do need some people dedicated to project management in order to get the ball rolling on a number of different projects.  I feel like if we have a bunch of people committed to helping but no one directing them on what to work on, it's not really going to accomplish much.

I haven't had anyone apply as a programmer yet but I have had applications for every other position so far!  I'm heartened because it's not even been a day yet since this thread was posted, and I'm sure there will be more people expressing interest.

Also @Dan and @Nymh, something to keep in mind is that people (current Codex members) may appreciate the guidance and direction of knowing what to do and how to do it. There's currently a lot of stagnancy in many areas of the community and the OP is a clear outline of what needs to happen and is a push a lot of people needed. Other people (future members) may appreciate the lack of confusion when they first join about who they can ask for help and what is appropriate. It's easy for someone to drop in an intro thread and be like hey ask so and so but it's not easy for someone brand new to take the initiative to actually do it if they aren't 100% sure it's the right thing to do.

Sure, there's people who are gung-ho and helpful and ready to do things without prompting, but there's many, many more who have no idea what to do or how to do it, but would like to help.

#56 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:58 PM

Also @Dan and @Nymh, something to keep in mind is that people (current Codex members) may appreciate the guidance and direction of knowing what to do and how to do it. There's currently a lot of stagnancy in many areas of the community and the OP is a clear outline of what needs to happen and is a push a lot of people needed. Other people (future members) may appreciate the lack of confusion when they first join about who they can ask for help and what is appropriate. It's easy for someone to drop in an intro thread and be like hey ask so and so but it's not easy for someone brand new to take the initiative to actually do it if they aren't 100% sure it's the right thing to do.

Sure, there's people who are gung-ho and helpful and ready to do things without prompting, but there's many, many more who have no idea what to do or how to do it, but would like to help.

Thank you, these were pretty much my thoughts.  I am ok with condensing everything down to a few teams if that's what The People want, but I still feel like we need to be giving guidance to push people in the right direction to fill all of those roles.

#57 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:06 PM

If anybody wants to learn how to program we're always here to answer any specific questions or issues they have, we just won't be able to hold their hand and guide them through everything.

#58 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:52 PM

I'm still willing to be part of some sort of programming team, official or not. What I'm lacking is more input what people would really like to have. And depending on the complexity of the projects, I'm looking to contribute but not maintaining it on my own. So a bit more coordination between the programmers would be nice. :>

#59 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:59 PM

I'm still willing to be part of some sort of programming team, official or not. What I'm lacking is more input what people would really like to have. And depending on the complexity of the projects, I'm looking to contribute but not maintaining it on my own. So a bit more coordination between the programmers would be nice. :>

We're currently discussing a couple of options among the Admin team, stay tuned ;)

#60 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:57 AM

If anybody wants to learn how to program we're always here to answer any specific questions or issues they have, we just won't be able to hold their hand and guide them through everything.

But I wanted you to hold my hand. :( I'm so lonely.
Just kidding. I love to be alone. Please don't touch me, anyone.

#61 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:50 AM

@Napiform and I are working on Social Media, we've got a tumblr page set up and she has twitter and facebook. Stay tuned for more info!

#62 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 September 2014 - 06:42 AM

I'm willing to hep brainstorm and I'm also willing to help programmers out with any questions or finding things out about Neopets or FR, like I've done for @Dan and Valorous in the past.

@Napiform and I are working on Social Media, we've got a tumblr page set up and she has twitter and facebook. Stay tuned for more info!

cough, cough @Strategist let me in

#63 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:19 AM

:(

#64 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:20 AM

8Y2Te6Z.gif

#65 Riku

Riku
  • 72 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:24 AM

I might be willing to pick programming back up. I'm pretty damn rusty since I haven't done anything major since the PHP ABer from 2007ish.

I'd have to refresh myself on python. Not to mention I'd have to find the time to do this in the first place considering I'm working ridiculous hours and finishing up my degree. Bleh.

#66 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:51 PM

I'd have to refresh myself on python. Not to mention I'd have to find the time to do this in the first place considering I'm working ridiculous hours and finishing up my degree. Bleh.

Even if it's just an hour a week, every little bit helps :)

Awesome.  This is why I think we need project managers, or at the very least team leaders to direct people in what to do and have primary responsibility for overseeing the project and reporting the progress and needs of the people working on it to other teams and/or staff members.

Can I stick you on the programming team?

#67 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:15 PM

Can I stick you on the programming team?

Yes sure!

I have a few suggestions: Fixing up Abrosia is one thing that people really want (and need). Particularly the Attic part and the shop pricing feature. Beyond that, you could also fix up the autoplayers in the program manager. Those programs shouldn't be too complicated and shouldn't take too long. Those are my ideas :)

No one except programming staff has access to that code base =_="

#68 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:42 AM

Well, staff should make you an official programmer :p

The point in this is to do what we can without being on staff.

#69 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:54 AM

I've already mentioned half of these ideas multiple areas, to different members, in different sections.

Excuse me if I don't get my hopes up after the last few years of constant disappointment.

I have this awesome idea for a program, I looked at one website and learned how to make a hello world program.  From there can you help me with everything else?

#70 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:29 PM

Don't forget to write to me if you are interested in helping!

Tomorrow evening I will start putting together everything that has been sent to me so far and start organizing teams.

#71 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:05 AM

Have the teams been organized yet? I'm excited to start this :)

In the works! Had a bit of a meltdown this week. Thanks for poking me.

#72 Michaelhex

Michaelhex
  • 1018 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:30 AM

In the works! Had a bit of a meltdown this week. Thanks for poking me.

Can we still apply or the applications period is close as for now ?

#73 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:13 AM

Apply anyway, I'm sure Nymh would still be willing to make changes here and there!

#74 Michaelhex

Michaelhex
  • 1018 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:59 AM

Apply anyway, I'm sure Nymh would still be willing to make changes here and there!

Thank you Dan, I'll try :D

#75 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:47 PM

Absolutely. I got your app!  Thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: help, i need somebody, not just anybody

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users