• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:08 PM

I don't know if I've posted about this before but Dear White People is a movie that's been very near and dear to my heart for a couple years now. It first started out as a simple concept trailer and a Kickstarter campaign. Fans raised the money to shoot this movie and then once the movie was shot it was fan voted to the Sundance Film Festival where it received critical acclaim and now the moment is finally here. Dear White People will be released to theaters on October 17th. Here's the trailer and I hope you guys will support this movie because I'm hoping that it will usher in an era of making movies that actually reflect real like and not just 46 million superhero sequels. 

http://dearwhitepeople.com/

#2 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:06 AM

God, yanks can't do satire for shit. It just comes across as poorly veiled racism and shit comedy.

#3 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:03 AM

Yeah, the trailer is trying to sell it as a comedy. I don't find the subject matter funny.

#4 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:45 AM

"Black people can't be racist." Can't tell if serious.

Oh and the main character is gorgeous  :wub:  :wub:

Edited by Adam, 25 September 2014 - 05:46 AM.

#5 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:02 AM

People have said this to me in a serious manner before.. Also that other races can't be racist against White people / racism against White people doesn't exist.. :/ 

#6 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:02 AM

Yeah, the trailer is trying to sell it as a comedy. I don't find the subject matter funny.

The good thing about comedic movies is they are usually more popular (the average american is more likely to go see it) than a serious dramatic piece about racism. The "bad" thing about comedic movies trying to convey a serious message is that they have to be really well made, otherwise they won't be taken seriously, and the message will get lost. 

#7 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:14 AM

Like I said, it's trying to portray itself as a satirical peice and failing very badly.

#8 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:24 AM

I find it hilarious however the movie is about Black people trying to navigate a predominantly white institution that is the American university system which I have quite a bit of experience with so I guess it depends on your perspective. 

Oh and the main character is gorgeous  :wub:  :wub:

The sociological definition of racism is defined as prejudice plus institutional power to perpetuate that prejudice.  

Edited by Mishelle, 25 September 2014 - 06:24 AM.

#9 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:32 AM

If anyone is judging or hating on someone based on the color of their skin, they're racist, that's it. I was also raised in an area where racism isn't a huge issue, I know it's much worse in the U.S. but all these lame ass "23 reasons white people need to be stopped" and "white people doing stupid things" articles are offensive and fucking stupid. I will never understand what it's like to be a minority, but I know what it feels like to be judged based on the color of my skin.

I like this video because for a lot of reason and I dislike it for a few. Idk. I am so bad at explaining myself, I don't know why I bother lol

Edit: I inserted random words in places they don't belong, my B.

#10 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:38 AM

The sociological definition of racism is defined as prejudice plus institutional power to perpetuate that prejudice.  

Are you actually trying to say what I think you might be saying?

#11 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:47 AM

Being hateful towards a vast group of people based on their skin color is wrong no matter what you want to call it. But hating black, asian, or hispanic people has costed them countless opportunities and has greatly affected them for generations. I know we all think, "Well, it was a different time back then." but many of us would be in a different place in our lives this very moment if our grandpas weren't so... brown.

#12 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:52 AM

Being hateful towards a vast group of people based on their skin color is wrong no matter what you want to call it. But hating black, asian, or hispanic people has costed them countless opportunities and has greatly affected them for generations. I know we all think, "Well, it was a different time back then." but many of us would be in a different place in our lives this very moment if our grandpas weren't so... brown.

Of course, I understand that. Some people take those feelings and put them towards progressing and making positive changes, other people turn that into hate against white people. It's really sad. No matter what there will be racist white people and there will be racist black people and racist asian people or hispanic. There will also be color blind people who love their fellow human beings and see one another as brothers and sisters. That's how I was raised anyway.

#13 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:55 AM

There's a few problems with that train of thought though, I can sense you're only using a type of sociological thought that agrees with your bias and ignoring the various other types of sociological theory and using the term sociolocal as a get out clause even though there are various conflicting/contradictory definitions of racism in the sociological theory world.

Youre also forgetting these types of social theory:
labelling theory
social control theory
Marxist theory
anomie theory
general strain theory
deviant place hypothesis
grounded theory
collective action theories
Value‐added theory
Frame analysis theory
rational choice theory
radical theory
differential reinforcement theory
differential opportunity theory
Critical theory
Functionalist theory
Interpretive sociological theory
Social phenomenological theory
Social constructionism
Symbolic interactionism opportunity theory Dramaturgical theory
Deprivation theory
Resource mobilization theory
Culture theory
social epidemiology disengagement theory
cultural transmission theory
voluntarism theory
feminist theory
neutralization and drift theory
containment theory
differential association theory
culture conflict theory
routine activity theory
social behaviouralism
Relative deprivation theory
Political process theory
New social movement theory
social learning theory
social disorganization theory
delinquent subculture theory
Conflict theory
Feminist theory
social structure theory
Weberian conflict theory
Sociological positivism
Structural functionalism
Broken windows theory
Culture of poverty theory
primordial theory
Mass society theory
Political process theory consensus theory rationalization of society activity theory
Bonding theory
World systems theory

Your terms are also ameri-centric and conventionally forget about societies where ol' whitey doesn't hold any power, or times when white on white action led to one particular race being subjugated to a less role within in society ( I'm think Ireland 1600s, white slave trade in Africa 1700-1800 and South Africa now).

Basically you can't "ohh well sociologically I'm correct" because that's not what some social theory states. Revolutionary Marxism (bare in mind most mainstream forms of sociological theory have subsets like radical, new age and conventional feminism etc) states that racism can be seen as "FOR REVOLUTIONARY Marxists, there is an inextricable link between racism and capitalism. Capitalism is dependant on racism as both a source of profiteering, but more importantly as a means to divide and rule. Racism is necessary to drive a wedge between workers who otherwise have everything in common and every reason to ally and organize together, but who are perpetually driven apart to the benefit of the ruling class."

So whilst it goes in favour of "those in power" bullshit, it only applies to large corporations and the ruling classes.

Now I don't think that applies to anyone in that film or anyone this site (unless you classify Faraaz as a huge business owner who wants is at each other's throat).

Basically the film is a poor show at Satire. I don't know why, but Americans can't seem to do it very well. Leave it to the Europeans please.

#14 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:57 AM

Are you actually trying to say what I think you might be saying?

No one is saying PoC can't be prejudiced, bigoted or otherwise shitty to people of another race however in the sociologists have come to the conclusion that there's more to racism on the institutional level than just hating someone who doesn't look like you. For example, people of color cannot redline real estate and bar white people from moving in predominantly PoC neighborhoods. They cannot rig the system so that when a certain amount of white people move into an ethnic neighborhood property values inevitably fall.People of color don't have a history of targetting white people into a predatory renting system and barring them from homeownership. People of color can't pay white people less for being white. People of color can't trap overwheling numbers of white people into a for profit prison system. People of color don't often deny white people access to schools and jobs because they're white. Not for a lack of trying but simply because people of color lack the institutional power to oppress white people even if they wanted to.

There's a few problems with that train of thought though, I can sense you're only using a type of sociological thought that agrees with your bias and ignoring the various other types of sociological theory and using the term sociolocal as a get out clause even though there are various conflicting/contradictory definitions of racism in the sociological theory world. Youre also forgetting these types of social theory: labeling theory
social control theory
Marxist theory
anomie theory
general strain theory
deviant place hypothesis grounded theory
collective action theories Value‐added theory
Frame analysis theory
rational choice theory
radical theory
differential reinforcement theory differential opportunity theory Critical theory
Functionalist theory
Interpretive sociological theory Social phenomenological theory Social constructionism
Symbolic interactionism opportunity theory Dramaturgical theory Deprivation theory
Resource mobilization theory Culture theory
social epidemiology disengagement theory
cultural transmission theory voluntarism theory
feminist theory
neutralization and drift theory containment theory differential association theory culture conflict theory
routine activity theory
social behavioralism
Relative deprivation theory Political process theory
New social movement theory social learning theory
social disorganization theory delinquent subculture theory Conflict theory
Feminist theory
social structure theory Weberian conflict theory Sociological positivism Structural functionalism Broken windows theory Culture of poverty theory primordial theory
Mass society theory
Political process theory consensus theory rationalization of society activity theory
Bonding theory
World systems theory
Your terms are also ameri-centric and conventionally forget about societies where ol' whitey doesn't hold any power, or times when white on white action led to one particular race being subjugated to a less role within in society ( I'm think Ireland 1600s, white slave trade in Africa 1700-1800 and South Africa now).
Basically you can't "ohh well sociologically I'm correct" because that's not what some social theory states. Revolutionary Marxism (bare in mind most mainstream forms of sociological theory have subsets like radical, new age and conventional feminism etc) states that racism can be seen as "FOR REVOLUTIONARY Marxists, there is an inextricable link between racism and capitalism. Capitalism is dependant on racism as both a source of profiteering, but more importantly as a means to divide and rule. Racism is necessary to drive a wedge between workers who otherwise have everything in common and every reason to ally and organize together, but who are perpetually driven apart to the benefit of the ruling class."
So whilst it goes in favour of "those in power" bullshit, it only applies to large corporations and the ruling classes.
Now I don't think that applies to anyone in that film or anyone this site (unless you classify Faraaz as a huge business owner who wants is at each other's throat).
Basically the film is a poor show at Satire. I don't know why, but Americans can't seem to do it very well. Leave it to the Europeans please.

Even in countries where white people are the minority they still hold institutional power through centuries of colonialism.

#15 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:59 AM

Cept ya know, Middle East, Africa, Asia etc...

#16 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:04 AM

Because the legacy of colonialism (intentional fragmentation of indigenous governance, institution of undemocratic regimes, continued exploitation of labour and resources) don't real?

#17 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:05 AM

Maybe once you stop seeing color like the rest of us, Mishelle, you'll forget that you're black and you can use this energy to better yourself along with the rest of us who think your real name is too fucking weird to pronounce correctly.

#18 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:06 AM

Are you really trying to tell me that these countries still aren't dealing with the after effects of white colonialism?

#19 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:07 AM

Are you really trying to tell me that these countries still aren't dealing with the after effects of white colonialism?

Yes, they're all very happy now. Supa kawaii.

#20 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:08 AM

Maybe once you stop seeing color like the rest of us, Mishelle, you'll forget that you're black and you can use this energy to better yourself along with the rest of us who think your real name is too fucking weird to pronounce correctly.

That's not at all what I meant when I said color blind :(

#21 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:11 AM

That's not at all what I meant when I said color blind :(

lol I know what you mean, Kate. I know you're not a hateful person, and I know you have a hard time expressing yourself in these types of conversations.

#22 Derpious

Derpious
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user!

• 326 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:12 AM

:o

#23 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:13 AM

Because the legacy of colonialism (intentional fragmentation of indigenous governance, institution of undemocratic regimes, continued exploitation of labour and resources) don't real?

I love you guys I really do.

But seriously we're getting off topic. Go see Dear White People. Support more indie flicks. Yeahhh.

#24 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:21 AM

Is this comedy going to have a boring subplot about domestic violence like Madea's Family Reunion? If so, NO THANK YOU. 
just kidding, I'll probably watch it anyway and it's going to make me mad I know it

#25 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:24 AM

I'll give us a fiver if you can tell me the extent of imperial colonising has effected Saudi Arabia to the extent that the British/Dutch still have a direct influence.

Same deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users