How do I set up a VPN?

vpn

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ronan

Ronan
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:30 AM

I have a paid VPN key and am wondering how to set it up. I have looked for guides but all I can find are guides on what VPNs and proxies are and how to get them, not how to set them up. Could someone give me step by step instructions on how to use it? I have a mac.

What I want to do for now is restock semi-legit using adblock lists as a visual advantage, but I heard TNT can pick that up and I dont want to risk getting my main chain frozen in the process because of the same IP, so i'm wanting to use this VPN key to keep my main account as separate as it can possibly be so that if I get frozen dozens of times on shells, my main will still be safe and TNT won't even know its the same person.
I think this would also be a good trial and error learning experience until I move onto an ABing program. All I really need to know for sure right now is that my main will remain safe. The objective for now isn't to keep shells ban-proof (because that's bound to happen to a beginner like me), just to put a force-field around my main so it doesn't get taken down too.

Thanks in advance! :)

#2 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:48 AM

A good chunk of the time, if you paid for a VPN key you get a VPN client or download one from the site you purchased the key from and use the information you have to log in and apply it.

What site did you buy the key from?

#3 baswick

baswick
  • 313 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:25 PM

I just paid for a VPN from HMA. I have yet to have any accounts frozen. I think I'll be sticking with it.

#4 baswick

baswick
  • 313 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:52 PM

Just as an FYI, VPNs and proxies do not make your accounts safe from being iced. All they do is to prevent chain ices. 

I know that. but it's easier to switch IPs and not be under the same one with multiple accounts, and saves me time from finding proxies and shit too.

Edit: I just hit a button once and it switches IP addresses, and I can pick a different state too if I so choose. Just a hell of a lot easier, I'm happy with it, and it's not that expensive either.

Edited by baswick, 25 September 2014 - 05:00 PM.

#5 baswick

baswick
  • 313 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:25 PM

I just use TOR on my cellphone. I like it, but don't want to really use it on my laptop.

and it's the program that I'm interested in and why I'm paying for a VPN. I log into one account, do some RSing and other programs for a few hours, come back and log out, switch IP addresses, and log into another account and let the programs run on it for a bit. I'm happy with it lol.

#6 Ronan

Ronan
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:56 AM

Tor is pretty slow, too. I'd never be able to do anything on neo using Tor.

@Keil, yeah thanks you were right! I downloaded the client and its working great now. :)

@baswick your VPN program sounds like a good one, mine is from cyberghost and is static so it says im in New York every time. :p At first I was worried about using a dynamic one (which is what yours must be) because I thought TNT would ban you if your IP changed every time, but I recently learned people use VPNs all the time for normal reasons like just wanting a bit of privacy, even though they are completely legit players and dont cheat at all. So they cant really ban you just for using a VPN.

#7 RoseAb

RoseAb
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:28 AM

Fortunately Mac has built-in VPN client so you don't have to look for third party software. The following Visual configuration guide will help you to manually set it up on Mac:

http://www.purevpn.c...ig/mac/pptp.php

Hope it could help.

#8 Ronan

Ronan
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:03 AM

@RoseAb Oh wow I had no idea about that, what a cool feature. :p Thank you for that info!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vpn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users