Quantcast

Photo

Are Grades in School a Reflection of Your Potential Success in Life?

merica grades high school college

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:06 PM

Title says it all. Discuss!

#2 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:08 PM

I hope not haha

#3 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

No.

#4 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

No.

#5 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:09 PM

No. Getting a good grade doesn't mean you're going to go far in life and getting a bad grade doesn't mean you're going to be unsuccessful. 

#6 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:13 PM

A minute ago
I'll reitirate my point. School grades may be a reward or end goal of hard work and determination, but that's subjective completely. I totally aced most my exams and I spent most of my later years wasted.

Academic results on show a very few things. The ability to regurgitate a set series of answers from a teacher, and one type of ability of intellect. School grades won't show the various types of intellect available to the human persona nor will it demonstrate various other abilities such as engineering etc...

It also held back by whatever institution or country that person has done their exams in, Scandanavian and Asian schools are of higher quality and offer tougher exams, meaning your 4.0 GPA is worth less than your asian counterparts etc

On top of that, even higher academic qualifications are essentially useless unless they are necessary in that field (STEM subjects come to mind).

On top of that, knowledge without application is useless, so unless you have a job, your grades mean fuck all. Congrats relying on mommy or the welfare queue, I'll stick to my $60,000 a year job with no formal qualifications necessary. (Also free health care because we're not fucking stupid yanks)

TLDR: stop comparing your grades to each as metaphor for your tiny penises and get back to the original subject.

#7 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:18 PM

no, thank-goodness. I thought they did while i was in school though lol, i thought high-school was everything.

#8 Bear

Bear
  • 151 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:48 PM

I believe so. I'll add more to this post when I get back from the gym ( reminder for myself)

Throwback to my old topic few years ago: http://www.neocodex....our-schoolwork/ Kinda relevant.

#9 Eagles

Eagles
  • 518 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:52 PM

School grades are important to get into college with a good scholarship, while college grades are important to getting into a good graduate school. If you dont plan on furthering your education past the point of where you currently are, then they don't really matter THAT much. But i can guarantee that a person with a 4.0 or 3.5 would most likely get a job over a person with a 2.0 GPA with the same qualifications. Who would you want working for you?

I also think grades are a reflection on your ability to learn and master a topic. If you fail at doing that in school, you might fail at doing that in your job. Also, your grades should be something you are proud of. You shouldn't just try to squeak by, but instead try to achieve grades that make you feel successful. All in all, its truly what you take out of your education that matters the most. I'm appalled at the amount of students at my college that quite frankly don't give a shit. The class average on my chemistry exam was a 57 last week. Just thought i would share that. I don't see how you can pay $30,000 a semester to fail. whatever.

Edited by Eagles, 28 September 2014 - 01:55 PM.

#10 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:57 PM

Nope.

Most of the people just remember things before any midterm/final, but they don't usually really learn anything.

tbh, I had the worst grades and I'm doing better as a musician than my engineer friends.

Edited by HiMyNameIsNick, 28 September 2014 - 01:57 PM.

#11 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:01 PM

Nope.  I got good grades in school and college, yet I'm still struggling to find employment.  Most of my friends who didn't get good grades do have jobs, and happier lives.  It doesn't take good grades to be successful.  If you don't have the requirements, or personally know someone who can help you in your field of work, you're SOL.

Funny how things work out.

#12 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:09 PM

I also think grades are a reflection on your ability to learn and master a topic. If you fail at doing that in school, you might fail at doing that in your job. 

I disagree. Getting a good grade doesn't mean you learned or mastered a topic. It could mean you were pretty good at memorizing information that you're just going to forget later. I got A's on most of my Spanish tests. I don't remember a single thing. It just stuck in my memory long enough for me to push out a good grade. You also could have cheated or had a lazy professor. The only time that I am impressed is if a person can hold a conversation about a topic and know exactly what they are talking about. That's when you know they've learned something. 

#13 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:17 PM

But i can guarantee that a person with a 4.0 or 3.5 would most likely get a job over a person with a 2.0 GPA with the same qualifications. Who would you want working for you?

I'd venture to say most employers don't bother looking at GPA, or even ask for it.

#14 Peaches

Peaches
  • 497 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:21 PM

Teachers used to make us think that high school was EVERYTHING and if you didn't do well during this time, you will generally fail in life (I had some lovely teachers).

My answer is definitely no. I know of a couple of people who pulled out of school because they hated it so much, but are very successful now.

Then there's one person I know who received top grades in pretty much everything and now they're in jail after years of criminal activity (totally ruined their life).

I think it's important that you know what you actually want to do in life, find a passion and stick with it. Sometimes risks need to be taken and that's the point at where life can make you or break you.

Also not everyone can be awesome in school and it also depends on someone's character. Like some people work hard on their grades while others are really lazy but have a lot of potential to look good on paper.

#15 Eagles

Eagles
  • 518 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:22 PM

Perhaps they don't. But it certainly would be helpful it did. And Emily, sure certain people might not actually learn the material, but rather memorize it and forget. A person that has done that has ultimately failed their education. What is the point if you don't plan on learning the information for the rest of your life? If you're memorizing just to get by, thats a pretty poor use of the education system. 

#16 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:22 PM

Where i dont feel school grades are the 'be-all-end-all' of life, i appreciate that school taught me to work hard (which i realize is not everyone's experience of school). Do grades matter? meh. Does school matter? yes (for a whole plethora of reasons), although i don't think there is necessarily a direct correlation between job search success and school success.

#17 Eagles

Eagles
  • 518 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:23 PM

others are really lazy but have a lot of potential to look good on paper.

Sadly, I guess that's all that really matters nowadays, huh?

#18 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:33 PM

Don't schools just try and push their students to get good grades so the can rub their big school dicks in other schools' faces and say "wow look how much better I am than u lol"

#19 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:38 PM

Don't schools just try and push their students to get good grades so the can rub their big school dicks in other schools' faces and say "wow look how much better I am than u lol"

And government funding! High test scores = more money for the schools (in the US)

#20 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:49 PM

Perhaps they don't. But it certainly would be helpful it did. And Emily, sure certain people might not actually learn the material, but rather memorize it and forget. A person that has done that has ultimately failed their education. What is the point if you don't plan on learning the information for the rest of your life? If you're memorizing just to get by, thats a pretty poor use of the education system. 

Because that's how our education system is set up. We base an entire curriculum around a standardized test rather than teaching kids what they really need to know. Why base it around this standardized test? Because if the kids  don't do well then the school will look bad and if the school looks bad, then they won't get any money from the government. No money from the government means no merit pay for the teachers. Not only that, but if an individual student doesn't do well on the test during certain years then they won't get to either move on to middle school, move on to high school, or get a diploma. An entire education revolving around tests. THEN, we tell them that they need to get a good grade on the ACT/SAT or they won't get into a good college!  Instead of teaching kids how to learn and retain information, we focus on tests, tests, tests, and more tests so no, it's not surprising when someone goes into college and only knows how to memorize information just to get a good grade. 

I have only ever been challenged in classes that deal with my major or are above 200 level. When you make people have discussions, speak in front of the class, read and then reply to a discussion post, give them a test that requires a couple of essays, and basically just force them to think then they will learn. 

#21 Riku

Riku
  • 72 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:54 PM

Sometimes. It doesn't apply to everyone the same way, but can you deny that your classmate who's getting straight As in AP Chemistry and was accepted to The Cooper Union to major in chemical engineering is going to be going places, while the guy who slept in the back of your economics class is now openly bitching on Facebook about paying child support (when he's the dumbass who faked wearing a condom) because he has no work ethic to get anything other than a part-time job at McDicks.

Edited by Riku, 28 September 2014 - 02:54 PM.

#22 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:58 PM

Sometimes. It doesn't apply to everyone the same way, but can you deny that your classmate who's getting straight As in AP Chemistry and was accepted to The Cooper Union to major in chemical engineering is going to be going places, while the guy who slept in the back of your economics class is now openly bitching on Facebook about paying child support (when he's the dumbass who faked wearing a condom) because he has no work ethic to get anything other than a part-time job at McDicks.

What's wrong in working at McDonalds? It's a job.

You think you're better/superior/smater/lucky than a McDonalds cashier?

Edited by HiMyNameIsNick, 28 September 2014 - 02:59 PM.

#23 Karyx

Karyx
  • 162 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:59 PM

I'd venture to say most employers don't bother looking at GPA, or even ask for it.

This.

Unless you're going into an academic/research field, most of the things you need to learn in life, you don't really ever learn in a classroom.

I suppose to some degree your grades do matter in that you learn to work hard to achieve a goal, but they don't really matter when you're out there really having to cope with the pressures and demands of the work environment. I won't go so far as to say they don't completely matter, I mean you have to teach your kid to aim high in life and certainly trying to get good grades is the best way you can teach them that, but it's good to let them know that you're also not a complete failure if you don't get a perfect GPA. It kind of just feels that way when you're in school, that bad grades means you'll suck at life forever. 

Not everyone tests well. Some people are just better with their hands than with their heads. Doesn't mean they'll go on to become crackwhores and hobos. The problem with standardized tests is that people aren't at all standard, there's no one way to gauge someone's success by what you put on paper.

I think this helps illustrate my point.

Spoiler

#24 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:00 PM

boop.

http://www.forbes.co...tart-companies/

fuck school. go make money.

#25 Riku

Riku
  • 72 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:01 PM

What's wrong in working at McDonalds? It's a job.

You think you're better/superior/smater/lucky than a McDonalds cashier?

Literally not even what I was implying, but thanks for playing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: merica, grades, high school, college

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users