stalking you just kidding you aint pretty enough for jailtime

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#26 Bee

Bee
  • 1169 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:37 AM

I work at a hospital in a paediatric ward. My day consists of nappies, cannulas and cuddles. Next year, I'm hoping to be one of those unemployed uni students :p

Edited by Bee, 11 October 2014 - 04:37 AM.

#27 Marionette

Marionette
  • 327 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:23 AM

Dental Receptionist three days a week, studying to be a Midwife the rest of the time.

#28 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:13 AM

I work in an aircraft maintenance unit (AMU) on little rock air force base. I'm getting a part time job soon where I'll only work like 2 weekends a month, just so I can buy some stuff for my car :]

#29 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:14 AM

May I ask what you studied in school?
I personally would love to get into that area of work.

@Ivysaur, Im a bit of an oddity and went to a conservatoire and studied violin for 4 years. We don't have the US system of majoring over here, you pick a subject and that's it. So alllll I did was music. It was more my first job in an orchestra that led me into PR rather than my degree itself because it meant I has a lot of practical sector understanding.

I have a fair few friends in PR/marketing/communications and they basically fall into 2 camps. Firstly there's people like me who did something related to the sector they work in. So I know a lot of music students who now work for venues or orchestras and the like in a PR/marketing function rather than performance, an English student who works for a theatre and a law student (because it's an undergrad degree here, not postgrad) who does marketing for a law firm. Secondly, there's people who mostly started on the agency side rather than in-house who tend to be more general. So people who studied English, History, Business...and now work for a whole range of clients on various campaigns.

Essentially you need to be able to write very well, have a good level of commercial awareness of how what you're putting out there is potentially going to impact the company, and form strong relationships easily because you're constantly dealing with stakeholders and the press. Mostly soft skills rather than actual knowledge! Personally, I think it's a bit of blagging as well, it's how you confident you are in convincing people you can do those things because it's showing that you'll be able to portray the company in a positive light even in a crisis.

It's a competitive field in that a lot of people want to do it, and it's tougher at the junior end because it's quite a popular choice for people who aren't sure what to do!! There are however a hell of a lot of jobs out there and especially with the onslaught of digital marketing over the past few years, there's a real breadth and diversity to roles and a lot of opportunity for internships and not greatly paid roles at the beginning. Certainly in the UK there's a lot of lateral movement so people don't look badly on you moving on after a year or 2 in a role, and you might move to quite different a role in the marketing/comms sector.

Really I want to move out of the arts and into a big corporate because I want to go into crisis management but we'll see.

#30 Kau

Kau
  • 261 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:57 AM

Previously worked in a Veterinary Clinic, assisting with check-ins, some minor operations, washing of animals etc.

As of now, I work as a Senior Moderator on MCSG (Minecraft-ey business) and teach Tennis.

#31 Tubbz

Tubbz
  • The High Fairy of Priestessvil.

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:15 PM

My mate does the exact same thing in the same company :p. Got an apprenticeship with Jag/Land Rover and he became one of the top apprentices in England, and even almost got a job at Ferrari because of it. So work hard and you might be off to Ferrari :p

The jag f-type is nicer than any ferrari I've seen, so company car dictates whether I want to move ;) 

I've heard of a lot of people getting head hunted. 

#32 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:36 AM

I have a degree in xray technology, but I waitress at a karaoke bar lol. I like my job most of the time but especially so when people tip

#33 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:17 AM

Programmer at a software company :x I get to play with different programming languages because my team writes extensions for many different platforms.

#34 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:54 AM

I'm still a stay at home mom that does normal mommy/wifey things like cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, gardening, laundry, etc etc. I also do a slew of odd jobs, the most recent being a bit of drawing layouts for houses and editing ebooks. 

#35 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:53 AM

I used to be a research intern for an electoral reform organization, then a customer service rep for a company that sells trailer hitches. For now, I'm just a student.

#36 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:29 AM

I work at a hospital in a paediatric ward. My day consists of nappies, cannulas and cuddles. Next year, I'm hoping to be one of those unemployed uni students :p

I would love working with the kids, but I would hate working with the parents.

#37 Cannabis

Cannabis
  • yungamerican

• 970 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:29 PM

I work for my University's Athletic department doing ticket sales/operations

#38 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:50 PM

Dental Receptionist three days a week, studying to be a Midwife the rest of the time.

What is it about being a midwife that appeals to you? I'm curious because I've always wanted to get into this line of work (despite the low demand in my province), but not sure if it's for the right reasons.

#39 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 October 2014 - 05:33 PM

I wear a few hats at the company I work for. My main responsibility is research and development. I am leading a team that designs optical gas sensors, and so far, we have prototypes for a couple gases working in a laboratory environment. When my co-workers need help in the cleanroom, I am a nanofabrication engineer helping manufacture our x-ray focusing lens products (these lenses have features down to 20 nanometers, which is roughly 1000x thinner than the width of a human hair!).  Randomly, I become a software programmer making fixes/improvements to design software that I made for our lens fabrication process.

Lol startup companies.

#40 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:10 PM

Still work at the same gas station lol

Being understaffed is so much fuuuun. No time off AND near minimum wage!

#41 Bee

Bee
  • 1169 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:18 PM

I would love working with the kids, but I would hate working with the parents.

Actually, a lot of the parents are lovely - probably because they're worried shitless about their kids. But yeah, you get the odd one that no one ever wants to take care of. On the whole though, the kiddies make up for all the difficult aspects. And we get loads of treats from grateful parents. It all works out.

#42 Bones

Bones
  • Bar Ram Ewe

• 2171 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:39 PM

I work as an accountant.  I was 13 years in practice then went out into the big wide world.

Currently working as Accountant assistant to the Financial Controller of a large group (only 1 space above me to aim for).  Our company primary does Marine, making propellers for leisure boats going up to the size of oil tankers.  We also do service work on large vessels.

In total we have 34 companies and I get to visit them all, in South Africa, Namibia, Turkey and Singapore.  We also own 3 ports with our primary customer being the MOD.

Not a bad job and each day is different.

#43 onlyme

onlyme
  • I hate everyone.

• 4319 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:48 AM

I teach English.

#44 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:17 AM

Still work at the same gas station lol

Being understaffed is so much fuuuun. No time off AND near minimum wage!

How much is gas at your station?

#45 Maha

Maha
  • haha

• 1039 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:36 AM

I work at Coles :(

I take stuff off pallets and put it on cages that have wheels. Then I put that stuff on the shelves. 

#46 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6381 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:13 AM

I work at Coles :(

I take stuff off pallets and put it on cages that have wheels. Then I put that stuff on the shelves.

A job is better than no job;)

#47 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:59 AM

How much is gas at your station?

Right now? $1.119 / litre. Yay Canada.

#48 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6381 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:00 AM

It's about £1.34/litre here. That's about $2.15 USD and $2.41 CAD. Boooooooo

#49 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:02 AM

It's about £1.34/litre here. That's about $2.15 USD and $2.41 CAD. Boooooooo

Hmm. Liters of gas. Here it is $2.99 per gallon which is extremely high, yet I never thought I'd see it for less than $3.00 again in my lifetime.

#50 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6381 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:47 AM

Hmm. Liters of gas. Here it is $2.99 per gallon which is extremely high, yet I never thought I'd see it for less than $3.00 again in my lifetime.

One US gallon is equal to ~3.8L, so the UK price is about $8.17/gallon (USD). You guys have it easy :p

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stalking, you, just kidding, you aint, pretty enough, for jailtime

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users