Quantcast

Photo

Which desktop browser(s) do you use on a regular basis?

poll answer pls

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

Poll: Browsers (115 member(s) have cast votes)

Which desktop browser(s) do you use on a regular basis?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 pikapi314

pikapi314
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:56 PM

On Windows on my laptop I use Chrome and Opera, and on Ubuntu on my laptop I use Firefox and Chromium. 

On my gaming desktop I use Internet Explorer for anything graphics intensive, and Chrome for general browsing. 

If I'm on a slower computer 9/10 times I will use Chrome. 

#52 ohyoufancy

ohyoufancy
  • 114 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:28 PM

I use Chrome.

I like how 2 people use internet explorer. Living on the edge, lol

#53 pikapi314

pikapi314
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:04 PM

I use Chrome.

I like how 2 people use internet explorer. Living on the edge, lol

On computers with better GPU's Internet explorer can actually be more efficient than Chrome because it is one of the few browsers that implements graphics acceleration. 

For example a game running in chrome can only run as fast as the computers CPU allows while a game in IE can run as fast as the GPU allows. 

That is the reason I have for being one of the two to choose IE anyways. I'm not sure of the other person's reasoning though. 

#54 ohyoufancy

ohyoufancy
  • 114 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2015 - 04:27 AM

On computers with better GPU's Internet explorer can actually be more efficient than Chrome because it is one of the few browsers that implements graphics acceleration. 

For example a game running in chrome can only run as fast as the computers CPU allows while a game in IE can run as fast as the GPU allows. 

That is the reason I have for being one of the two to choose IE anyways. I'm not sure of the other person's reasoning though. 

Games run super slow on IE for me. The internet in general does. But I see what you're saying totally. 

I mean, let's hope the other voter uses IE for the same reason you do then haha.

#55 WhimsicalOakTree

WhimsicalOakTree
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:14 AM

Chrome on my desktop, Safari on my MacBook.

#56 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:54 AM

Firefox is becoming the new IE. But this is still probably pretty accurate:

gun-web-browsers.jpg

Edited by Kaddict, 29 May 2015 - 07:56 AM.

#57 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:56 AM

Primarily I use Chrome.  I use Firefox for different functions that Chrome can't do.

#58 Kraehe

Kraehe
  • 100 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:37 AM

I use Chrome for mostly everything. My laptop had IE pre-installed on it when I got it, but I never un-installed it. So when for some reason Chrome decides to conk out or not open something, I end up using IE.  :rolleyes:

#59 SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:48 PM

I use Chrome, but I have all those browsers installed to do website testing.

Generally - Chrome and Firefox will be the first to support any new standards, whereas IE and Safari will be the last. Trying to make some of the new CSS3 stuff work on IE and Safari makes me want to scream. I suspect the IE and Safari devs are slower to adapt because those browsers come as defaults on their respective operating systems, so there's lower pressure to compete.

The version of Safari that's installed on iOS devices is the worst, it does the most bizarre things to my code. Sadly that's the one I have to support the most, given that anyone with an iPhone or iPad will very likely be using it and I don't want my whole website to break for them.

#60 Wombat

Wombat
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:22 PM

Chrome, though I'm frustrated with the memory usage of it right now. 

#61 evanisthebst

evanisthebst
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 03:54 PM

I use Chrome and Firefox depending on which I download first after a wipe..

#62 Bounty

Bounty
  • 16 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:51 AM

Chrome is my go-to.  Runner up is Firefox, just like everyone else.

I still remember the days of Netscape Navigator.  Oh man.

#63 Silverize

Silverize
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:02 AM

Firefox.

Just can't get used to Chrome no matter how much I try to replicate the add-ons I have on Firefox onto Chrome.

#64 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:03 AM

Chrome, Opera and Firefox have GPU acceleration too though :0

Does Chrome have it enabled by default still like when you install it? I remember using it on my old, awful computer and god it was the biggest, glitchy piece of garbage around lmao

#65 Eggie

Eggie
  • 317 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:07 PM

I use Firefox for most things, but Chrome with others. FF has been my go-to for like...12 years. I don't like change. :p

#66 Susie

Susie
  • 1382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:36 PM

My personal computer uses Firefox.

At work, they insist on using IE.

#67 Rauul

Rauul
  • Always drunk 坂本

• 1965 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:45 PM

Chrome

and i hate when im at my university's computer lab, because all PC has IE

#68 spotify95

spotify95
  • 315 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 05:20 AM

Games run super slow on IE for me. The internet in general does. But I see what you're saying totally. 

I mean, let's hope the other voter uses IE for the same reason you do then haha.

It depends on what version of IE you are running, if you are on Windows Vista or higher then you'll have access to IE9 (or higher on windows 7/8/10) and IE9+ allows for hardware acceleration, by using the GPU.

It also depends on what GPU your computer/laptop is running. If it's a built in/integrated GPU you may be better off using your processor, whereas a dedicated GPU/graphics card will always improve things.

I'm currently voting Chrome, but when Chrome 45 comes out in September I'll be re-voting to Firefox.

Chrome

and i hate when im at my university's computer lab, because all PC has IE

Again it depends on which university. The university I go to has IE, Firefox and Chrome (they used to have Opera and Safari too, but they don't anymore). So you have a choice of which is better. :)

If at all possible you could speak to the IT Support team at your university and ask them to put Firefox or Chrome on for you?

Chrome, Opera and Firefox have GPU acceleration too though :0

Does Chrome have it enabled by default still like when you install it? I remember using it on my old, awful computer and god it was the biggest, glitchy piece of garbage around lmao

I've checked and Chrome does have hardware acceleration - I've got mine turned on.

Don't know if it is default or not but you can go Settings - Advanced Settings and scroll down to "System", there is a check box for turning on/off the Hardware Acceleration.

I use Chrome, but I have all those browsers installed to do website testing.

Generally - Chrome and Firefox will be the first to support any new standards, whereas IE and Safari will be the last. Trying to make some of the new CSS3 stuff work on IE and Safari makes me want to scream. I suspect the IE and Safari devs are slower to adapt because those browsers come as defaults on their respective operating systems, so there's lower pressure to compete.

The version of Safari that's installed on iOS devices is the worst, it does the most bizarre things to my code. Sadly that's the one I have to support the most, given that anyone with an iPhone or iPad will very likely be using it and I don't want my whole website to break for them.

There are other browsers available for iOS, but due to Apple regulations they all have to use the same rendering engines etc as Safari - so if it won't work in Safari, it won't work on any iOS browser...

#69 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:57 AM

I've checked and Chrome does have hardware acceleration - I've got mine turned on.

Don't know if it is default or not but you can go Settings - Advanced Settings and scroll down to "System", there is a check box for turning on/off the Hardware Acceleration.

Yeah, I've had to reinstall Chrome a few times recently and its turned on by default >w> What a pain in the butt. It's kinda weird, not everyone has a great computer!! Plus its even worse considering how resource-heavy Chrome can get lmao

At least it's in settings now!! I'm pretty sure you had to go to Chrome://flags before hahah

In other news, I can't believe Firefox 42 doesn't allow users to use unsigned addons :V The whole damn point of that browser is to use addons!!

#70 spotify95

spotify95
  • 315 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 01:44 PM

Yeah, I've had to reinstall Chrome a few times recently and its turned on by default >w> What a pain in the butt. It's kinda weird, not everyone has a great computer!! Plus its even worse considering how resource-heavy Chrome can get lmao

At least it's in settings now!! I'm pretty sure you had to go to Chrome://flags before hahah

In other news, I can't believe Firefox 42 doesn't allow users to use unsigned addons :V The whole damn point of that browser is to use addons!!

It depends on what you put onto your Chrome installation. If it's just the bare browser, then it's quite lightweight. However, when you start adding up teen amounts of add ons and extensions, it starts to bloat out more.

I also know that Chrome can use quite a bit of memory, but will only use what it has access to. For example, it can use almost all of my 6GB RAM in required, but it could also run reasonably well on a laptop with 1GB of RAM.  And yeah if your GPU isn't that good then it's best to turn off hardware acceleration. I just have mine left on, I think it helps lol :p

I don't follow Firefox news as much, but I am sure that there may be a work around somehow. Though that is a coincidence, Firefox 42 takes away a feature, and Chrome's V42 took away NPAPI support by default. Having said that it can still be re-enabled. I'm not looking forward to Chrome v45 though, and will do whatever it takes to make sure it doesn't update to that version.

#71 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 August 2015 - 07:11 AM

I switch between Firefox and Chrome. I love firefox the most, but sometimes something small comes up - a bug, a thing that doesn't work in firefox, a feature I don't like - and I'll switch to Chrome. Chrome however is such a strain on my RAM that I'm not too fond of it either.

For FR and Neopets I generally use Chrome though; for FR the Coli AP'er only works in Chrome and a lot of things on Neo are broken in Firefox but work in Chrome. For all other regular browsing, there's Firefox.

#72 Arex

Arex
  • 140 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:13 AM

I do general browsing/non-cheating Neo stuff on Chrome and I usually load up FF for scripts

I honestly don't like FF, but I gotta deal with it

#73 spotify95

spotify95
  • 315 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 04:32 AM

Just popping back in to say that my main browser is now Slimjet. It's a Chromium based browser but it has much better features - including not having updates forced down your throat.

It has the option to turn off automatic updates - which I have done - and still supports NPAPI. The SJ team are hoping to continue supporting NPAPI.

Apparently Firefox will be ditching NPAPI come December 2016 so looks like I'll be out of luck then - unless all NPAPI plugins migrate to a different technology that is supported.

#74 Kass

Kass
  • 581 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 November 2015 - 01:49 PM

Just popping back in to say that my main browser is now Slimjet. It's a Chromium based browser but it has much better features - including not having updates forced down your throat.

It has the option to turn off automatic updates - which I have done - and still supports NPAPI. The SJ team are hoping to continue supporting NPAPI.

Apparently Firefox will be ditching NPAPI come December 2016 so looks like I'll be out of luck then - unless all NPAPI plugins migrate to a different technology that is supported.

Slimjet... Interesting. Never heard of it. Where did you hear about it, if I might ask?

It looks as if it has some nice features, but nothing really catches my eye - except for the NPAPI support. I might have to check this out so I can get some of the older games' avatars. Opera works for some of them, but I'm 99% sure that they stopped supporting NPAPI as well. Blegh.

Also, their website is super cheesy lol :p  family_small.jpg

#75 Blanc

Blanc
  • 1058 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:49 AM

Firefox at all the way. I think it's faster and easier to use. My only problem with Firefox was the depurating script which sometimes crashes here, but it's rare. I was using Chrome last year, but it was always laggy and slow to acess pages, so i got used to use Firefox.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: poll, answer pls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users