• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Cannabis

Cannabis
  • yungamerican

• 970 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:20 PM

Hey y'all I know there are topics about getting new laptops but I haven't seen anything about Macs. I love macs I love the keyboard, the features, accesibility etc. however I don't like that Macs can't do certain things etc.

My laptop is super old and it's time for an upgrade and I don't know if I should get a new mac or something else? The touch screen laptops are pretty cool but I want something similiar to a mac, any ideas? Macs are so expensive and I could get a way cheaper laptop for not buying an apple product. Ya know?

#2 Cupcakes

Cupcakes
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:29 AM

When I updated to my new MBA I got a refurb. Seriously it was essentially brand new, have had zero problems with it, and comes with everything that a brand new computer comes with except for the fancy box. I got a Mid 2013 11" Macbook Air for like $650 in December 2013.

#3 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:24 AM

When I updated to my new MBA I got a refurb. Seriously it was essentially brand new, have had zero problems with it, and comes with everything that a brand new computer comes with except for the fancy box. I got a Mid 2013 11" Macbook Air for like $650 in December 2013.

This is solid advice.

--

I don't care too much for the iMacs and Mac Pros but the Macbook range have been the best laptops on the market for design & durability for years now -- certainly not best for price, though.

I have a top of the range 15" Retina Early-2013 (replaced my 17" Mid-2009) and it's great for editing photos, VMs and programming. I use Windows on my desktop machine.

#4 Norava

Norava
  • Pro Can Cran

• 547 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:03 AM

Hey y'all I know there are topics about getting new laptops but I haven't seen anything about Macs. I love macs I love the keyboard, the features, accesibility etc. however I don't like that Macs can't do certain things etc.

My laptop is super old and it's time for an upgrade and I don't know if I should get a new mac or something else? The touch screen laptops are pretty cool but I want something similiar to a mac, any ideas? Macs are so expensive and I could get a way cheaper laptop for not buying an apple product. Ya know?

What do you plan on doing with it? I have an iMac, and a MBP. While my MBP is an '09 model, it held up very well the years that I did use it.

Now I pretty much only use my iMac. I use my iPad for anything mobile and when I'm home I used my iMac. 

If you do get a MBP, just view it as an investment. Max out the specs that are most important to you, whether that's RAM / CPU / GPU. That way you don't get the bare minimum which will be eliminated from the market in ~6 months. 

If you want to game you can use bootcamp or parallels. I personally use Parallels because my iMac can handle it. But if you want to do a lot of gaming, bootcamp works great and let's you use the full potential of the mac in the windows environment.

If you are using it for class or schoolwork, you can run parallels and run the programs necessary, and you can allocate how much of the specifics you want parallels to be able to use {Memory, GPU, etc.} 

For the price you could absolutely get a windows machine for the same price, probably a lot cheaper. You also however seem to like the aesthetics of the device itself, which will probably pay of in visual appreciation over time. 

TL;DR : If you like Macs, get it and you can use windows on it. 

#5 Cannabis

Cannabis
  • yungamerican

• 970 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:40 PM

Do you have an uncracked version of parallels? @Grant

I'm really conflicted part of me wants to get a non-mac laptop and the other is like dude wtf are you thinking.

#6 Norava

Norava
  • Pro Can Cran

• 547 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:54 PM

Do you have an uncracked version of parallels? @Grant

I'm really conflicted part of me wants to get a non-mac laptop and the other is like dude wtf are you thinking.

I had a cracked version, and ended up getting the real version (free from my job). The cracked version worked just as good as the uncracked version did. I'm running yosemite and haven't had any issues.

Seriously though, you'll get more power for your dollar from a PC, but you won't have the pleasing physical and software aesthetics of a mac.

Edited by Grant, 18 October 2014 - 08:55 PM.

#7 Cannabis

Cannabis
  • yungamerican

• 970 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:33 PM

@Grant Thanks, I decided on getting a PC. I'm sick of paying 2 grand just to have a mac product

#8 Norava

Norava
  • Pro Can Cran

• 547 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:04 PM

@Grant Thanks, I decided on getting a PC. I'm sick of paying 2 grand just to have a mac product

No problem. Don't get me wrong, I love my iMac but if I wanted something only for gaming, I would probably get a custom made PC.

#9 Cannabis

Cannabis
  • yungamerican

• 970 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:16 PM

No problem. Don't get me wrong, I love my iMac but if I wanted something only for gaming, I would probably get a custom made PC.

Could you even get a custom made PC? I'm keeping my Macbook until Windows 10 comes out... can't stand Windows 8.

#10 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:35 PM

Could you even get a custom made PC? I'm keeping my Macbook until Windows 10 comes out... can't stand Windows 8.

Yeah, PCs are popular for being so customizable :p You can just order the parts and just make it yourself if you're comfortable with doing that ^^

#11 dblanch369

dblanch369
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:35 PM

I'm not sure what it is you think a Mac can't do.  Mine does everything I can think of.  It's designed to be simple enough, but I'm a tinkerer, and love to get down into command-line changes to get it just the way I want it (The operating system, I mean.  The hardware is damn near unrepairable by the average person nowadays).

I couldn't agree with you more... I have Windows 8 at work, and I hate it.

#12 evanisthebst

evanisthebst
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 03:55 PM

Mac's seem to be kings of the laptop world.. At least in terms of style and mobility.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users