Potty-Mouthed Princess

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#1 Eagles

Eagles
  • 518 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:52 PM

How do you feel about this? I basically think it is a load of bs, without any real facts to back anything up. I just think it's an all around tasteless way of drawing attention to the cause. 

Edited by Eagles, 22 October 2014 - 01:52 PM.

#2 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:40 PM

I find it funny how people are more offended by swearing, which kids are already doing behind parents backs anyway, than all the inequality in the world.

#3 Florg

Florg
  • 711 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:46 PM

What exactly do you think is a "load of bs"?

You can search the claims they make in the video and find a bunch of links providing information / the corresponding study

#4 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:55 PM

What do you think is load of bs? The fact that women don't have the same rights as men?
I spent almost a fucking decade of my life being a military/in the police force, doing exactly the fucking same job as my comrades, and yet I never earned the same as they did. Ridiculous enough, my husband, who at the time was a fucking rank below me was earning more than me when we met.
I faced the fucking same dangers as all the other guys, I worked even more just because I'm a woman and I had to prove every fucking day I deserve to be there as much as anyone else. For some, I was a pair of walking fucking boobs carrying a weapon, needless to say I heard a lot of jokes, and not all of them came from people outside the force.

I'm not a feminist, buy I get seriously pissed off when people say women don't have reasons to fight for equality.

Ask your friends/family/random people in the street, you'll find examples of women getting underpaid/discriminated for having a fucking vagina, real quick.

A couple of months ago, it was all over the news that some Portuguese companies were making their female employees sign a "contract" of something like that stating they will not get pregnant in the next 5 years... There's your fucking sexual equality.

Now, where's that fucking swear jar?

#5 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:09 PM

Sounds like a good idea for a contract, violate it and you get terminated. Seems fair.

#6 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:21 PM

Sounds like a good idea for a contract, violate it and you get terminated. Seems fair.

I honestly can't take you seriously anymore.

Do I understand why a company would do this from a business standpoint? Yes, you don't want to hire someone who might be out for a long period of time, it'll cost money to train someone new.

Is it a gross violation of human rights? Yes. You can't make someone sign away their ability to have children, are you freaking kidding me, that is so perverse. We are heading in a dangerous direction if people think that is an acceptable practice. 

#7 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:26 PM

I would like to point out that men have the right to a paternity leave absence as well. But did anyone asked them to sign a contract stating they will not get their partner knocked up?

#8 Eagles

Eagles
  • 518 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:55 PM

There are many other factors that lead into the notion that "Women get paid 20 some odd cents less than men per dollar". Men are more likely to work a 40 hour week, men are more likely to take on higher paying jobs in the work force, and men typically have more experience than women because women may have to take time off for a child or other reasons. Also, it is perfectly legal for women to sue if they feel they are being discriminated upon because of gender. One final note, men commonly major in higher payer fields than women. Thats just how it is. Yet people are going to sit there an complain that women are paid less for EXACTLY the same job. Sure, it might be the same job, but chances are they are less qualified than their male counterparts. 

#9 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:57 PM

There are many other factors that lead into the notion that "Women get paid 20 some odd cents less than men per dollar". Men are more likely to work a 40 hour week, men are more likely to take on higher paying jobs in the work force, and men typically have more experience than women because women may have to take time off for a child or other reasons. Also, it is perfectly legal for women to sue if they feel they are being discriminated upon because of gender. One final note, men commonly major in higher payer fields than women. Thats just how it is. Yet people are going to sit there an complain that women are paid less for EXACTLY the same job. Sure, it might be the same job, but chances are they are less qualified than their male counterparts. 

Be prepared for the replies.

#10 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:06 PM

I honestly can't take you seriously anymore.

Do I understand why a company would do this from a business standpoint? Yes, you don't want to hire someone who might be out for a long period of time, it'll cost money to train someone new.

Is it a gross violation of human rights? Yes. You can't make someone sign away their ability to have children, are you freaking kidding me, that is so perverse. We are heading in a dangerous direction if people think that is an acceptable practice. 

It's not taking away their ability, it just means they can't work for that particular company. That's not an infringement, 

#11 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:15 PM

Can we quit using the word payed? 

#12 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:19 PM

Well, you would complain if you were just as qualified as another person doing the exact same job, but you got payed less. There's no irrationality in that.

I've never seen an example of two people with the same experience, qualifications and role being paid different amounts in a professional company. 

#13 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:20 PM

I've never seen an example of two people with the same experience, qualifications and role being paid different amounts in a professional company. 

If they are, it's because someone wasn't pushing hard enough for a higher salary.  Or couldn't up-sell themselves, which, coincidentally in business, is a desirable trait.

#14 Eagles

Eagles
  • 518 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:23 PM

I was literally typing the exact thing Frizzle just said. Sure the gender wage gap exists, but its not because a hired employee is simply a woman. Rather it is a difference in qualifications 

#15 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:34 PM

I was literally typing the exact thing Frizzle just said. Sure the gender wage gap exists, but its not because a hired employee is simply a woman. Rather it is a difference in qualifications

You can't say it's always because of this and ignore the fact that women don't have the same rights and treatment as men yet :/

#16 Eagles

Eagles
  • 518 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:42 PM

So, because that portion of the gender wage gap is unaccounted for, you are basing your opinions on the ASSUMPTION that it is simply discrimination. I see a startling lack of evidence

#17 Eagles

Eagles
  • 518 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:52 PM

I don't have time to read that right now as I have class tomorrow at 8, but I will tomorrow morning!

#18 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:53 PM

So is this debate about equality or little kids swearing.

#19 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:10 PM

It's little kids swearing, talking about feminism. Of course the discussion would lean towards feminism, the core message of the video.

That doesn't answer my question. This is in the debate section, so the subject of argument should be clear, shouldn't it?

#20 DonValentino

DonValentino

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:15 PM

I think there was one comment about the swearing, not really the issue here.

#21 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:20 PM

Swearing was simply the means of delivering the message of feminism. We are debating the message of feminism. Nothing off topic here.

I didn't say anything was off topic. I was literally asking what the main topic was before I bothered responding with an argument.
The title of the thread implies it is about the girls swearing, then he shared a video, and in his OP said he felt the video was distasteful. So naturally I thought that was the topic of discussion. I don't see why there's a problem with me simply asking before I make an argument.

#22 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:28 PM

Apologies, I thought you were trying to get us back on topic or something. There's nothing wrong with asking about the main topic before making an argument :p

I didn't want to turn the thread into a cluster-fuck by switching the subject on you guys, that's all. I wasn't sure what the dominant subject is. 

#23 DonValentino

DonValentino

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:36 PM

If you want to talk about the swearing, feel free. Just because it isn't the main topic of discussion doesn't mean we can't discuss it :)

#24 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:44 PM

If you want to talk about the swearing, feel free. Just because it isn't the main topic of discussion doesn't mean we can't discuss it :)

Then I shall, tomorrow when I can re-watch the video.

#25 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:28 AM

What do you think is load of bs? The fact that women don't have the same rights as men?
I spent almost a fucking decade of my life being a military/in the police force, doing exactly the fucking same job as my comrades, and yet I never earned the same as they did. Ridiculous enough, my husband, who at the time was a fucking rank below me was earning more than me when we met.
I faced the fucking same dangers as all the other guys, I worked even more just because I'm a woman and I had to prove every fucking day I deserve to be there as much as anyone else. For some, I was a pair of walking fucking boobs carrying a weapon, needless to say I heard a lot of jokes, and not all of them came from people outside the force.

I'm not a feminist, buy I get seriously pissed off when people say women don't have reasons to fight for equality.

Ask your friends/family/random people in the street, you'll find examples of women getting underpaid/discriminated for having a fucking vagina, real quick.

A couple of months ago, it was all over the news that some Portuguese companies were making their female employees sign a "contract" of something like that stating they will not get pregnant in the next 5 years... There's your fucking sexual equality.

Now, where's that fucking swear jar?

If you believe in equality between genders, you are by definition a feminist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users