• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#26 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:26 AM

Men are more likely to work a 40 hour week, men are more likely to take on higher paying jobs in the work force, and men typically have more experience than women because women may have to take time off for a child or other reasons

Can you, please, tell me what "other reasons" are those you were refering to? I'd really like to know.

One final note, men commonly major in higher payer fields than women. 

Did you know that women are allowed to go to university nowadays? Some of them even go after giving birth.

There are women in every profession, with the same qualifications and experience and yet, they are earning less than their male co-workers. This is not something invented, it's a fact, and it can be proven at any time if you ask people without the need of reading any field study.

I was one rank above my partner, I was getting less money, I was working more than he was (and forget the 40hours/week talk, that is "load of bs"), and yet we had the same employer, the Government, who was supposed to be above all suspicious when it comes to gender equality.

And this happens everywhere. Why is my sister in law earning less than my brother when they both work in a insurance company, for the same boss, in the same field, in the same team, doing the exactly same work 65 hours a week? They both have the same qualification. The child she has is the same that he has. When the kid needs to go to the doctor, they both go. Where's the reasonable explanation for that?

#27 Eagles

Eagles
  • 518 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:59 AM

They both have the same qualification. 

the same degree isn't necessarily the same qualification. Would you care to explain how they have EXACTLY the same qualification

#28 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:10 AM

Can you, please, tell me what "other reasons" are those you were refering to? I'd really like to know.

Did you know that women are allowed to go to university nowadays? Some of them even go after giving birth.

There are women in every profession, with the same qualifications and experience and yet, they are earning less than their male co-workers. This is not something invented, it's a fact, and it can be proven at any time if you ask people without the need of reading any field study.

I was one rank above my partner, I was getting less money, I was working more than he was (and forget the 40hours/week talk, that is "load of bs"), and yet we had the same employer, the Government, who was supposed to be above all suspicious when it comes to gender equality.

And this happens everywhere. Why is my sister in law earning less than my brother when they both work in a insurance company, for the same boss, in the same field, in the same team, doing the exactly same work 65 hours a week? They both have the same qualification. The child she has is the same that he has. When the kid needs to go to the doctor, they both go. Where's the reasonable explanation for that?

Yes, women can go to pretty much any school and major in anything, but that doesn't mean they do. What is the gender percentage in engineering across the country? It is still overwhelmingly male. MDs are starting to become more female, but still isn't  50/50. Also, oftentimes people get paid (you are welcome @napiform) based on something called commission, which is likely the pay discrepancy with your brother. And you and your husband do what exactly? Because I would be shocked if you could carry the same amount of gear, and drag a 250lb dude who is injured out of battle with the same ease that he does. For female firefighters and policewomen, there is an easier physical test/requirements/whatever to join the force. If women can't do the same job men do, they shouldn't get paid the same. Men and women are built differently. That is ok. Also, don't have time to find it now, but I watched a video on Princeton economist describing the wage differences. He said once you take out the experience differences, schooling difference etc, the difference in pay was 1% which was within the margin of error. 

EDIT: I briefly looked for it, and after a minute I don't think it was princeton. I will try to find it later.

Edited by Kaddict, 23 October 2014 - 07:12 AM.

#29 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:58 AM

periods. they're vicious and women are fragile flowers that can't manage them once a month and have to lay up

#30 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:04 AM

periods. they're vicious and women are fragile flowers that can't manage them once a month and have to lay up

Damn it. How I wish to be one of those women who actually suffer for being menstruated. If it wasn't for the tampons inside my vagina I wouldn't even notice it.

They both have the same qualification. 

the same degree isn't necessarily the same qualification. Would you care to explain how they have EXACTLY the same qualification

They have the exact same qualifications because their school/professional path that lead them there was exactly the same. They were hired in the same time, they had to attend the same trainee programm, whatever...

Wait, that's not entirely true, actually, my brother had to repeat a couple of classes in highschool due to personal problems. That would make him less qualified than my sister in law? If so, why is he earning more?

I'm still waiting to know what "other reasons" are those. :/

Also, oftentimes people get paid (you are welcome @napiform) based on something called commission, which is likely the pay discrepancy with your brother. 

No.

And you and your husband do what exactly? Because I would be shocked if you could carry the same amount of gear, and drag a 250lb dude who is injured out of battle with the same ease that he does. For female firefighters and policewomen, there is an easier physical test/requirements/whatever to join the force. If women can't do the same job men do, they shouldn't get paid the same. Men and women are built differently. 

In this case, you'll just have to believe my word when I say I can drag a 250lb dude, despite my C cup breasts. And it's not easy for any one, woman or man, not only for gear we carry or the injuries we have take care.

And, I can't speak for other countries, but here anyone that wants to join any kind of "force" is obligated to hard physical/psychological tests, independently of their gender. Besides, I wouldn't be there if I hadn't pass it with success. That alone should be enough for qualify me and level me with my comrades and not the fact that I don't have a penis.

Wait... "For female firefighters and policewomen"? So men don't have to do it? Making a women take such tests and not make men doing it also it's discriminating too, no? O_o

If you believe in equality between genders, you are by definition a feminist.

Yeah, I don't agree with the meaning of the term "feminist". I'm not defending equality because I'm a woman, I do it because I'm human.

#31 Peaches

Peaches
  • 497 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:10 AM

I would like to point out that men have the right to a paternity leave absence as well. But did anyone asked them to sign a contract stating they will not get their partner knocked out?

Knocked out hehehe.

#32 Batori

Batori
  • 265 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:13 AM

Because I would be shocked if you could carry the same amount of gear, and drag a 250lb dude who is injured out of battle with the same ease that he does. For female firefighters and policewomen, there is an easier physical test/requirements/whatever to join the force. If women can't do the same job men do, they shouldn't get paid the same. Men and women are built differently. That is ok. Also, don't have time to find it now, but I watched a video on Princeton economist describing the wage differences. He said once you take out the experience differences, schooling difference etc, the difference in pay was 1% which was within the margin of error. 

Could you point me to where firefighters and other high-strength jobs come into the post you replied to? Because that's one hell of an assumption for the sake of making an argument.

#33 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:14 AM

Knocked out hehehe.

Ah, yes. I suspect the right term is "knocked up".

My english is quite bad.

Horrible.

#34 Eagles

Eagles
  • 518 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:35 AM

So you are telling me you both had the same college GPA? Same activities? Same prior work experiences? It's hard to say specifically what your employer looked into. If you can somehow justify that you're quite literally the same person, then i'll believe you. But you both certainly did not lead the same lives to get to where you're at... so you can't prove that you are making less simply because you're a girl

#35 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:53 AM

Damn it. How I wish to be one of those women who actually suffer for being menstruated. If it wasn't for the tampons inside my vagina I wouldn't even notice it.

They have the exact same qualifications because their school/professional path that lead them there was exactly the same. They were hired in the same time, they had to attend the same trainee programm, whatever...

Wait, that's not entirely true, actually, my brother had to repeat a couple of classes in highschool due to personal problems. That would make him less qualified than my sister in law? If so, why is he earning more?

I'm still waiting to know what "other reasons" are those. :/

No.

In this case, you'll just have to believe my word when I say I can drag a 250lb dude, despite my C cup breasts. And it's not easy for any one, woman or man, not only for gear we carry or the injuries we have take care.

And, I can't speak for other countries, but here anyone that wants to join any kind of "force" is obligated to hard physical/psychological tests, independently of their gender. Besides, I wouldn't be there if I hadn't pass it with success. That alone should be enough for qualify me and level me with my comrades and not the fact that I don't have a penis.

Wait... "For female firefighters and policewomen"? So men don't have to do it? Making a women take such tests and not make men doing it also it's discriminating too, no? O_o

Yeah, I don't agree with the meaning of the term "feminist". I'm not defending equality because I'm a woman, I do it because I'm human.

...? Being a feminist simply means believing in equality between genders, I don't know what you're getting at. The idea that feminism is exclusively about women is a misconception.

#36 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:02 AM

...? Being a feminist simply means believing in equality between genders, I don't know what you're getting at. The idea that feminism is exclusively about women is a misconception.

I meant the designation "feminist".

Jesus Christ, my english is awful and I can't express myself properly. Move on already. :(

#37 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:06 AM

I've never seen an example of two people with the same experience, qualifications and role being paid different amounts in a professional company. 

That's funny because when I worked in R&D I made 5 USD an hour more than my classmate/coworker. We both attended the same university, had the same courses, and had the same exact position. 

#38 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:10 AM

This video isn't about feminism. It's about selling t-shirts.

#39 Eagles

Eagles
  • 518 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:12 AM

That's funny because when I worked in R&D I made 5 USD an hour more than my classmate/coworker. We both attended the same university, had the same courses, and had the same exact position. 

Same work experience? involved in same activities? fraternity? Same grades?

That's a joke right? You know its about selling tshirts to raise awareness about feminism right? 

#40 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:16 AM

We're basically identical people. We've been in every course together and I definitely do worse in school. I'm nearly failing out at this point. 

#41 Eagles

Eagles
  • 518 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:47 AM

We're basically identical people. We've been in every course together and I definitely do worse in school. I'm nearly failing out at this point. 

Explain your situation here. You worked together? Before college? Your post implies that you are still in college since you are failing out... are you in grad school?

#42 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:51 AM

That's a joke right? You know its about selling tshirts to raise awareness about feminism right?

For-profit clothing company makes provocative "viral video" to encourage sharing and discussion and ultimately ... sales

It's the oldest trick in the advertiser's book and they've pulled off this exact charade before, using the Ferguson incident as a way to drive T-shirt sales: 

Spoiler

This prompted the non-profit anti-racism organisation Colorlines to publish a scathing article about them: This is the T-Shirt Company Making Money Off of Ferguson 

There are plenty more articles out there slating their bad business practices and poor ethics: 1 2 3

Oh, and to add insult to injury they don't even create their own artwork! They steal it from independent artists!

---

So... this company wants our money and they're happy to steal artwork, manipulate sensitive events, and make children swear in order to get it. No thanks.  :/

#43 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:58 AM

Agreed.

I meant the designation "feminist".

Jesus Christ, my english is awful and I can't express myself properly. Move on already. :(

Alright, although I'm still not sure what the difference you're referring to is.

#44 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:00 PM

No way?! Jerks.

#45 MozzarellaSticks

MozzarellaSticks
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:01 PM

This thread is just so bad in so many ways.

#46 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:53 PM

Explain your situation here. You worked together? Before college? Your post implies that you are still in college since you are failing out... are you in grad school?

You can easily find out everything about me. Yes, we worked together in a research lab. If you're extremely interested in my research I can tell you all about it. I mean there isn't really anything to say. We study together and worked in the same lab approximately two years ago. I'm about to graduate in May. 

#47 MozzarellaSticks

MozzarellaSticks
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:57 PM

I have to ask, if the wage gap isn't a gender issue, why is there a wage gap for race and gender? I mean, this is something documented for decades you can't say it doesn't exist. It was even just up in Congress. The government has admitted the wage gap exists.

Edited by noxiousmermaid, 23 October 2014 - 12:57 PM.

#48 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:16 PM

The wage gaps between certain races is due to the low levels of education, lack of resources, discrimination and high crime rates. This could be seen as a state based institutionalised racism leading to a disadvantage for BME groups.

#49 MozzarellaSticks

MozzarellaSticks
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:01 PM

The wage gaps between certain races is due to the low levels of education, lack of resources, discrimination and high crime rates. This could be seen as a state based institutionalised racism leading to a disadvantage for BME groups.

I don't see how you can find racial wage gaps to be discrimination and not gender wage gaps to be discrimination?

#50 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:42 PM

I've never said anything to the contrary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users