• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#76 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:37 PM

You are correct. I am a follower of God. 

Protip: You won't gain anyone's ear around here being a follower of God. That's been proven many many moons ago.

#77 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:50 PM

This is surreal.

I don't think perfect equality is anything you could ever really obtain. People by nature like to categorize things.. whether it be black and white, tall and short, or man and woman, and human nature seems to make that there must be a dominant party. No matter what people are ALWAYS going to look at men in the dominant role. Speaking in biblical terms, wasn't it Eve that was created from Adam's rib? Didn't Adam name all the animals? Didn't Eve first eat the fruit? Even back in bible times, men dominated women. Although of course I think that equality would be great, I just don't see it as something that can ever be attainable, so I won't waste my time arguing for it. I just never see it changing in my lifetime. 

First you say there's no discrimination, only under qualified women doing man's work. Now you're saying that discrimination actually exists because men were, are and will always be dominant, because women "came from a rib".

In all that I'm just... lost, and I'm craving for some grilled pork ribs.

And Eve was the smart one (it's the estrogen), apples are delicious healthy snacks.

#78 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:51 PM

You act like women aren't getting paid... and they have to struggle to even get by. Some women make more than men. How do you think those men feel?

The problem isn't that women aren't getting paid (and nobody has come close to even claiming that), the problem is that in many cases women are being paid less than their male colleagues for doing exactly the same job to the same standard with the only difference being the sex they were born. And that's not to mention the informal sexism which a lot of women have to face on a daily basis, everything from inappropriate comments to stupid sexist jokes to being judged on their appearance etc. It's nothing to do with men vs women...

And the bible really has no place in an equality debate given what some parts of it says on the matter, this little gem springs to mind:

A woman must quietly receive instruction with entire submissiveness. But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet.

So yeah, let's leave religion out of it and stick with actual facts rather than faith...

#79 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:55 PM

I believe in choosing your battles. Feminism is not a battle i choose to fight. Is it really that bad of an issue? There are so many more terrible things in the world to worry about

Are you insinuating that a person can only focus at one issue at a time? Because that's not true at all.

#80 Eagles

Eagles
  • 518 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:02 PM

Protip: You won't gain anyone's ear around here being a follower of God. That's been proven many many moons ago.

You can say that again. No one here believes in God which is a shame :( Even at my college, its a shame that the FIRST class i take basically tries to disprove the existence of God. Granted, I am at a liberal arts college, but its a shame that so many students are immediately persuaded into believing God doesn't exist. This has nothing really to do with the debate at hand but...

#81 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:03 PM

No matter what people are ALWAYS going to look at men in the dominant role.

Um no. Maybe you will.. 

So you think that men should always be dominate over women because of your personal opinions and religious background. I don't know what the hell you are saying in this topic or what you're trying to accomplish.

#82 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:07 PM

You can say that again. No one here believes in God which is a shame :( Even at my college, its a shame that the FIRST class i take basically tries to disprove the existence of God. Granted, I am at a liberal arts college, but its a shame that so many students are immediately persuaded into believing God doesn't exist. This has nothing really to do with the debate at hand but...

Actually, plenty of people here believe in God, they just don't use it as an excuse to say silly things. ;)

#83 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:08 PM

Is this mainly an American issue? I don't think I've ever heard of anything similar in the UK.

#84 Eagles

Eagles
  • 518 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:12 PM

Actually, plenty of people here believe in God, they just don't use it as an excuse to say silly things. ;)

The majority don't. I was attacked before because I said God exists. Ya'll need some Jesus

#85 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:13 PM

Is this mainly an American issue? I don't think I've ever heard of anything similar in the UK.

Unfortunately the religious right is huge in the US and that's why woman's issues are less evolved than in the UK. It is why women in the states are (in 2014!!) fighting for their right to keep abortion clinics open and legal in general, and why there are still states where gay people can't marry. There's more but I won't get in to it too much.. We have a long way to go..

#86 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:15 PM

You can say that again. No one here believes in God which is a shame  :( Even at my college, its a shame that the FIRST class i take basically tries to disprove the existence of God. Granted, I am at a liberal arts college, but its a shame that so many students are immediately persuaded into believing God doesn't exist. This has nothing really to do with the debate at hand but...

Excuse me? You think it's a shame not to believe in God? How dare you to feel "ashamed" for me for not having the same religious faith you do?

And why was religion brought to this discussion? I know plenty religious peole that believe equality for all humans.

The majority don't. I was attacked before because I said God exists. Ya'll need some Jesus

No one's attacking you because you believe in God. People are confused why would you bring religion to this topic, it's utterly irrelevant.

And I find that last part quite offensive. No one here said you need to abbandon your faith, did we?

#87 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:16 PM

It's definitely not as big a problem over here because we've got pretty strong laws around equality and I'd say sexism is probably less socially acceptable over here too but it's still an issue and we've still got a gender pay gap etc.

I was attacked before because I said God exists.

No, you weren't.

#88 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:18 PM

Anyhoo, let's try to stay on topic. ;)

#89 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:21 PM

It's definitely not as big a problem over here because we've got pretty strong laws around equality and I'd say sexism is probably less socially acceptable over here too but it's still an issue and we've still got a gender pay gap etc.

No, you weren't.

Isn't that due to women not being as educated, taking career breaks etc rather than actual pay gaps between the same roles?

#90 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6381 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:21 PM

Anyhoo, let's try to stay on topic. ;)

Which bloody one?!

#91 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:26 PM

Isn't that due to women not being as educated, taking career breaks etc rather than actual pay gaps between the same roles?

It's both. I recall a study done a while ago (I think from the London Business School?) where they picked temporary workers to research because it removes elements like skill specificity and all of the workers would be transient and it still found that men were getting paid like 15-20% more than women for the same roles (can't remember if it was based on the UK labour market or the American one though). Can't say I've ever seen it anywhere I've worked but apparently it's still going on. There's even that Asda thing that's been in the news recently, they're claiming a £4 per hour difference apparently.

Which bloody one?!

I think somebody mentioned something about feminism or equality or something. Along those lines anyway. ;)

#92 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:43 PM

In an economy that runs on consumerism you would think that it would be a bigger deal for people to be fully compensated for their work so the money can be funneled back into the economy. Women are currently 47% of the work force and are projected to hit 51% between 2008 and 2018. (http://www.dol.gov/w...borforce-10.htm) if women continue to make less money simply for being women that can only hurt our economy in the long run. This effects everyone whether or not you're a feminist.

Edited by Mishelle, 24 October 2014 - 05:44 PM.

#93 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6381 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:48 PM

Women are currently 47% of the work force and are projected to hit 51% between 2008 and 2018. (http://www.dol.gov/w...borforce-10.htm)

No, you mis-quoted the page. It says:

Women comprised 47 percent of the total U.S. labor force.

Women are projected to account for 51 percent of the increase in total labor force growth between 2008 and 2018. 

#94 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:57 PM

No, you mis-quoted the page. It says:

Thanks for pointing that out. I misread on my small ass phone screen.

Either way with the majority of those entering the work force being women, and the majority of the jobs added to the economy being service sector jobs that don't pay all that much (http://www.nelp.org/...great_recession)every penny counts.

Edited by Mishelle, 24 October 2014 - 06:01 PM.

#95 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:57 PM

You act like women aren't getting paid... and they have to struggle to even get by. Some women make more than men. How do you think those men feel?

I can't work out if you're being deliberately obtuse or if this is your genuine chain of thought. Those men aren't being paid less for the SOLE REASON that they're men.

Nowhere near as big a problem here. We have the Equality Act 2010, and prior to that the Equal Pay Act 1970. As long as 2 people are doing broadly the same work and have the same value in terms of effort and skill then they must be paid the same.

Plus our politics aren't swayed by people trying to impose their archaic religious values on the masses so women's rights are generally a lot better protected.

#96 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:26 AM

It seems every debate, argument and issue is mainly Americ-centric. Here's an idea, adopt the European way of life.

#97 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:55 AM

It seems every debate, argument and issue is mainly Americ-centric. Here's an idea, adopt the European way of life.

I'd really like to get orders to Europe, and settle down there for this very reason. That's why I always ask you and Dan about life in England.

#98 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:08 AM

It's okay if you want a more simplistic, relaxing way of life.

#99 MozzarellaSticks

MozzarellaSticks
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:43 AM

For all the men saying the pay gap and inequality in the workplace is not an issue, how do you feel about the discrimination of men in child caring careers?

#100 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:31 AM

Who was the one that posted the thing about females needing twice the qualifications to get a scientific grant? Bc I have NEVER heard of that. Women can pretty much get a free education in engineer because they are underrepresented and there are exponentially more scholarships for just women than there are for just men. Women have an easier time getting into graduate schools for this same reason. 
https://www.aamc.org...actstable23.pdf
That shows that the average across the country was that men needed to score 1.6 more points on their MCAT to get into medical school than women did for similar GPAs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users