Owning pets, is it right or wrong?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 masxed

masxed
  • 712 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:17 AM

There is a lot of controversy regarding whether it is right or wrong to own pets. I don't just mean cats and dogs either, I'm referring to any animals that are kept as pets. Some people see it as a selfish act while others see it as a way of giving the pet love and care. What do you think? Personally I'm not sure, I can see reasons for it to be right but also for it to be wrong so my opinion is neutral.

Click the spoiler for a picture of my own pet, a juvenile common snapping turtle. 

Spoiler

Edited by masxed, 04 November 2014 - 02:19 AM.

#2 Maha

Maha
  • haha

• 1039 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:36 AM

Pets have been a part of life for how long now? o.o

I mean... My grandparents still have old hand drawn pictures from back when their great great great great grandparents were little, in those pics were 2 pet dogs... So uh... wtf, how does this even become controversial? 

I guess I can see how quite a % of owners should not even be allowed to own a pet but geeze o.o

#3 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:36 AM

I mean what would happen to all of the pets that didn't have owners. I mean I own a pug, and he couldn't survive in the wild. I don't have any issue with it at all.

#4 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:09 AM

Keeping domesticated pets, yes. Keeping naturally wild animals, no. Non domestic animals are not meant to be owned or caged, as their natural instincts are to attack and/or flee.

#5 Eagles

Eagles
  • 518 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:25 AM

I didn't even know people had a problem with keeping animals as pets...and how do you have you have no opinion on it, yet you own a pet turtle? Clearly you think its fine

#6 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:42 AM

Keeping domesticated pets, yes. Keeping naturally wild animals, no. Non domestic animals are not meant to be owned or caged, as their natural instincts are to attack and/or flee.

I don't know, my snake seems pretty content in her cage.

I don't really think this is a proper debate, most people will quite agree that owning a dog, cat, rabbit and 99% of the pets people own is fine. Just as long as they are looked after.

The only thing that annoys me with pet owner ship is poor people owning animals. I.E the people who are on welfare but buy a dog or cat and THEN don't get if neutered. If you can't be responsible with your own money/education and need the state to look after you, how can you look after something else?

#7 Eagles

Eagles
  • 518 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:53 AM

Yeah there's nothing wrong with owning a pet. When i did an internship at an emergency animal hostpial, this lady brought in her 19 year old cocker spaniel for cataracts in both eyes. If you know about cocker spaniels, 19 years is espeically old, and most develop cataracts around the age of 14 or so (if they even live that long) She went on to tell us the diet she fed her dog, and it honestly was healthier than the diet i was eating. She said her dog hasn't eaten dog food in over 10 years. 10 YEARS. she said it's main diet was greek yogurt, tuna, sandwiches, all kinds of things that totally behooved me. Even the doctor working was in awe that the animal could live off human food for such a long time. Maybe that's a testament to potentially how beneficial human food can be to dogs. Nonetheless, if people take care of their animals like this, then theres no problem. If a person is treating the animal cruelly, regardless of species, then something should be done. If only it were easier to find the people that were mistreating their pets :/

#8 Maha

Maha
  • haha

• 1039 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:51 AM

On the note about un-domesticated animals... Even dogs etc came from undomesticated species... 

#9 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:07 AM

On the note about un-domesticated animals... Even dogs etc came from undomesticated species...

Exactly. As long as you treat it correctly, with the right food and in the right local, I see no problem.

#10 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2043 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:49 AM

If it suddenly became illegal to own pets, domesticated ones, then we'd be doing a disservice for those animals. They're at the point where most wouldn't be able to survive long on their own. Perhaps over time the strongest would learn & teach their offspring... but let's face it, at the rate humanity is growing and constantly destroying habitats (displacing countless non-domesticated species as it is) there just isn't room for the population of domesticated animals to be released back into what little nature remains. I suppose there's also the chance they would be an invasive species and completely throw the ecosystem out of whack for that area.

Personally I don't see pets as just something to be owned. My wife and I own multiple cats, and to us they're practically our fury little babies. They intelligent beings. They know when we're happy and sad and respond accordingly. Heck, when we had to put down my wife's 18-year-old cat the others grieved alongside us. When either of us cry (which... uh... I don't... ever... but if I did *shifty eyes*) one/several are try to comfort us in their own ways.

They learn and teach the other as we would at school. Unfortunately this has lead to not one but now three cats able to open the knob-type doors to rooms they're not supposed to get in.

They're truly a part of the family. Not just a "pet" or "object" or anything like that.

The only time I really have a problem with the idea of "pets" is when it's something like "oh hey it's Easter let's adopt a bunny" and then suddenly those same bunnies are on Craigslist looking for a new home and going to ____ only knows what type of people. (Know of one guy who would collect them, eat the meat & save the fur for whatever.) Also exotic/non-domesticated animals - they should remain in the wild, on nature preserves, etc.

#11 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:59 AM

Where is this controversy coming from?

#12 masxed

masxed
  • 712 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:06 AM

I didn't even know people had a problem with keeping animals as pets...and how do you have you have no opinion on it, yet you own a pet turtle? Clearly you think its fine

Oddly enough many I've talked to IRL do, which at first startled me. I do feel great joy providing my turtle with a home, and he seems to be content. But from a moral standpoint I don't consider owning pets either wrong or right. It sure feels right but I don't feel I have enough knowledge to be absolutely sure that it is for the better good of both me and my turtle. That story about the dog that you posted was very interesting, a cool read. :) I feed my dog healthy human food often and he is very healthy compared to others of his breed. He happens to love eating plain vegetables, meat, and fruit. It's funny when he wags his tail in anticipation when I chop up some plain raw broccoli haha!  :lol2:

I don't know, my snake seems pretty content in her cage.

I don't really think this is a proper debate, most people will quite agree that owning a dog, cat, rabbit and 99% of the pets people own is fine. Just as long as they are looked after.

The only thing that annoys me with pet owner ship is poor people owning animals. I.E the people who are on welfare but buy a dog or cat and THEN don't get if neutered. If you can't be responsible with your own money/education and need the state to look after you, how can you look after something else?

Awesome! My sister owns a snake too, they are beautiful creatures.

Yeah perhaps this is an improper debate. But surprisingly from my experience, IRL there are many who find something morally wrong about owning pets in one way or another.

If it suddenly became illegal to own pets, domesticated ones, then we'd be doing a disservice for those animals. They're at the point where most wouldn't be able to survive long on their own. Perhaps over time the strongest would learn & teach their offspring... but let's face it, at the rate humanity is growing and constantly destroying habitats (displacing countless non-domesticated species as it is) there just isn't room for the population of domesticated animals to be released back into what little nature remains. I suppose there's also the chance they would be an invasive species and completely throw the ecosystem out of whack for that area.

Personally I don't see pets as just something to be owned. My wife and I own multiple cats, and to us they're practically our fury little babies. They intelligent beings. They know when we're happy and sad and respond accordingly. Heck, when we had to put down my wife's 18-year-old cat the others grieved alongside us. When either of us cry (which... uh... I don't... ever... but if I did *shifty eyes*) one/several are try to comfort us in their own ways.

They learn and teach the other as we would at school. Unfortunately this has lead to not one but now three cats able to open the knob-type doors to rooms they're not supposed to get in.

They're truly a part of the family. Not just a "pet" or "object" or anything like that.

The only time I really have a problem with the idea of "pets" is when it's something like "oh hey it's Easter let's adopt a bunny" and then suddenly those same bunnies are on Craigslist looking for a new home and going to ____ only knows what type of people. (Know of one guy who would collect them, eat the meat & save the fur for whatever.) Also exotic/non-domesticated animals - they should remain in the wild, on nature preserves, etc.

I feel the exact same way about my pets. It's nice to see others who feel like there pets are family! My miniature long-haired dachshund is an absolutely beautiful little guy and very intelligent and sweet. ^_^ Couldn't imagine life without him, I can guarantee that if his day comes before mine I'll cry for days before settling down. It's hard to explain without sounding like a wuss honestly haha. Come to think of it my pet turtle may not be considered domesticated but I raised him from a tiny hatchling and he sure does have the personality of a domesticated animal. He has never shown one single sign of aggression since I began raising him and doesn't resist handling. He actually seems eager to be held and even knows how to ask for food! His species only grows 1inch per year but in the future when he becomes larger I plan on constructing a large pond to suite his preferred habitat.

#13 Piplup

Piplup
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:30 AM

its ok to have pets so long as you can love and take care of them and also if they don't try and kill you

#14 Eagles

Eagles
  • 518 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:47 AM

Yeah where is this debate coming from? Ive never heard anyone argue that humans should not be allowed to have dogs as pets. Unless he or she has committed a previous animal-related crime such as abuse

#15 masxed

masxed
  • 712 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:15 PM

Where is this controversy coming from?

Yeah where is this debate coming from? Ive never heard anyone argue that humans should not be allowed to have dogs as pets. Unless he or she has committed a previous animal-related crime such as abuse

From the diversity of others opinions in real life that can also be see in multiple areas of the internet. It is a common debate that has been going on in the world before we were even born lol. Like I said in the original post this is not just about cats and dogs. By pets I meant all pets that humans own. Perhaps I did a bad job of making that clear though (sorry). Scrafty and DawnKnight already posted one of the most common controversies on the morality of owning pets. I've came across many people in real life who's opinion is that it is wrong in one way or another, and I've also came across plenty of people who would disagree with that same opinion. Naturally I wanted to how the people here felt about the idea. :)

Edited by masxed, 04 November 2014 - 06:19 PM.

#16 Eagles

Eagles
  • 518 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:56 PM

Weren't domesticated pets at one point non domestic? Well thats a dumb question, of course its yes. Literally every common animal in America is not native to the land

#17 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:59 PM

From the diversity of others opinions in real life that can also be see in multiple areas of the internet.

So... tumblr then?

Spoiler

#18 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:32 PM

Pet owners are inherently evil. Pretty much the same as slave owners right?

#19 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:03 AM

Literally every common animal in America is not native to the land

Um, no. 

Anyways, I don't think there's anything inherently immoral with pet ownership. What's problematic is allowing your pet to reproduce without being able to properly take care of the offspring, mistreatment/abuse (including trying to own undomesticated animals that aren't suited to being pets), and the ownership of animals that are threatened/endangered or a threat to the public (without a legitimate reason).

#20 MozzarellaSticks

MozzarellaSticks
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:59 PM

I like keeping otherkin as pets.

In all seriousness, it's not wrong. If you have the time, energy, room, money, etc to properly house an animal then it's not wrong.

#21 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:15 PM

Well thats a dumb question, of course its yes. Literally every common animal in America is not native to the land

That's the spirit!

Stupid America with their stupid questions and thoughts. They imported everything, from people to squirrels to worms.

#22 Oninna

Oninna
  • 299 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:28 PM

Pet owners are inherently evil. Pretty much the same as slave owners right?

That's how the CEO or President or whatever of PETA thinks. She thinks it's wrong to have pets of any kind including dogs and cats. Ridiculous.

#23 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2043 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:48 PM

That's how the CEO or President or whatever of PETA thinks. She thinks it's wrong to have pets of any kind including dogs and cats. Ridiculous.

Well... we're talking about PETA here. They're kinda crazy.

The same people who euthanize something like 90% of the animals in their own shelters.

http://www.huffingto..._b_2979220.html

Edited by DawnKnight, 05 November 2014 - 07:50 PM.

#24 masxed

masxed
  • 712 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:05 PM

I think owning a Neopet is ok

Me too lol.

Spoiler

#25 Eagles

Eagles
  • 518 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:11 PM

Um, no. 

Anyways, I don't think there's anything inherently immoral with pet ownership. What's problematic is allowing your pet to reproduce without being able to properly take care of the offspring, mistreatment/abuse (including trying to own undomesticated animals that aren't suited to being pets), and the ownership of animals that are threatened/endangered or a threat to the public (without a legitimate reason).

Tell me a common household pet that is native to America. @Bone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users