Quantcast

Photo

Soda Tax

merica soda tax sin tax coke soda pop

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Poll: Is this ok? (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Is this ok?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:01 PM

Berkeley, CA passed a sin tax on cokes a few days ago.

It's expected to raise a 20-oz by about 10% (a 20 oz coke here is 1.30 ish right now) and goes into affect on Jan 1.

I'm just like wow.

First, it's just for full sugar cokes, diet cokes are exempt. Second, caffiene is addictive and stuff, if adding a finder's fee doesn't keep people from getting drugs, I doubt a 10% increase is going to stop people from getting cokes. It's just going to make people get more coke when they go out of town and bring it back with them, hoarders style, like they do with cigarettes and stuff. Is a 10% increase even enough to offset health problems created from consuming excess sugar? Whose business anyway that someone drinks a coke?

I don't know a lot about Berkeley, but I was under the impression it was one of those weird hippy towns where no one drank coke anyway?

How do y'all feel about this?

#2 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:07 PM

$1.30???? I pay $2.10 per 591ml / 20 oz bottle. Pepsi is even more expensive at ~$2.50. I think more.

Guess I'm moving to America.

But not Berkeley, CA.

#3 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:15 PM

$1.30???? I pay $2.10 per 591ml / 20 oz bottle. Pepsi is even more expensive at ~$2.50. I think more.

Guess I'm moving to America.

But not Berkeley, CA.

That 13 cents is a huge turn off.

#4 Canis

Canis
  • Official Bacon Queen

• 1279 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:19 PM

I'm completely and entirely against soda taxes, no matter where they are.

I'm a huge soda drinker. I'd be super pissed, especially since jfc that's a fucking huge tax.

#5 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:22 PM

Not ok.

But it wouldn't affect me, I rarely drink soda.

#6 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:31 PM

I'm more peeved by LA banning plastic bags. I don't really care about the soda tax since I rarely drink it anyway and it's still relatively cheap.

#7 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:48 PM

Soda is still soooo cheap considering corn syrup is subsidized. I say no increased taxes on specific food items but just take away the subsidization for corn syrup and other food products we know aren't good for  us. Subsidize fruit and veggies instead <=)

#8 Leeroy

Leeroy
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:56 PM

well i guess its time to switch to green tea =]

20oz coke cost like 1 buck here though =x

#9 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:12 PM

Soda is still soooo cheap considering corn syrup is subsidized. I say no increased taxes on specific food items but just take away the subsidization for corn syrup and other food products we know aren't good for  us. Subsidize fruit and veggies instead <=)

Yeah, I can agree with this.

#10 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:28 PM

I don't know.  I've weened myself off of soda, so this doesn't affect me.

#11 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:04 PM

Maybe this will help combat obesity in the US. 

#12 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:13 PM

Ew. Soda. I always avoided soda and juices (except when I make cocktails and mixes).

I'm apathetic whether or not a similar sales tax would be imposed where I live but I say "go them!" for the sales tax. The only one really suffering is the soda companies which have more power than the people you voted for this week. I say if you're a consumer and you feel negatively towards this sales tax, either rethink your health habits or research what that 10% tax revenue can do for Berkeley and beyond.

#13 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:29 PM

I say if you're a consumer and you feel negatively towards this sales tax, either rethink your health habits or research what that 10% tax revenue can do for Berkeley and beyond.

I feel negatively about it because it excludes diet coke, which I feel is equally bad health-wise as regular coke. (I might be biased, because aspartame gives me killer migraines, but still.) I did some brief googling on that 10% tax revenue will do and it's apparently for the city 'general fund', with a portion going to health and education programs.  That article says that it's actually a one cent per oz increase, which is a pretty decent increase, I couldn't imagine what 10% would do, but I can imagine what 30% could do.

I'm pretty skeptical about any health and education program to be honest, I got told multiple times by our local health department that it was just fine and preferred for my 9 month old to be on cow milk instead of formula and the next year, that she should be on 1% instead of full fat milk.

#14 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:25 PM

Haven't had soda in forever..could really go for a Sprite right now

#15 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:34 PM

My god... 20 oz for 1.30?

Z0OufMj.gif

#16 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:36 PM

Doesn't really matter to me because I don't drink a lot of soda unless I'm really craving it. Plus, my university switched from coke to pepsi so even more of a reason not to drink it :p

#17 arcanum

arcanum
  • 1748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:47 PM

Maybe this will help combat obesity in the US. 

Hmmm... perhaps.

Doesn't really matter to me because I don't drink a lot of soda unless I'm really craving it. Plus, my university switched from coke to pepsi so even more of a reason not to drink it :p

ftfy. Pepsi > coke

I'm with most here, I don't usually drink soda, unless I go to cook out and get a tray (Cheerwine FTW). But I never buy bottled soda, so... doesn't affect me? I guess its kind of good though, maybe it will help people choose a better option, or just stick to water or something? idk haha

#18 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:12 AM

I doubt that sales will go down much? But it's just about collecting more taxes I guess. I don't know many people that regularly buy soda here but my view is probably skewed.

I also think it's nonsense to exempt diet sodas. Better let people have real sugar than the artificial stuff.

#19 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:06 AM

It's a voter-approved measure that will increase tax revenue and (perhaps, should be interesting to see the data in a few years) improve public health. What's not to like?

#20 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:19 AM

It's a voter-approved measure that will increase tax revenue and (perhaps, should be interesting to see the data in a few years) improve public health. What's not to like?

13 whole cents!

#21 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:43 AM

13 whole cents!

With the amount of people who drink soda in the US, 13 whole cents can add up to an amazing amount of revenue, which could be used to improve a lot public services. I for one hope this passes all over the US, even as an avid soda drinker taxing unhealthy shit only makes sense.

#22 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:59 AM

With the amount of people who drink soda in the US, 13 whole cents can add up to an amazing amount of revenue, which could be used to improve a lot public services. I for one hope this passes all over the US, even as an avid soda drinker taxing unhealthy shit only makes sense.

I'm not usually one to suggest the market as a solution to inefficiencies, but taxation has proven a far better balance between the public good and personal liberty than outright bans. See: plastic bags, soda (ban on larger sizes failed in NYC), tobacco*, alcohol*, cannabis.

(* - provided the government actually invests a great deal of that tax money in combating addiction, especially for society's most vulnerable people)

#23 Florg

Florg
  • 711 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:11 AM

(* - provided the government actually invests a great deal of that tax money in combating addiction, especially for society's most vulnerable people)

Yea, that won't happen. America prefers to shame and blame those with addiction than actually help them. They think they did it to themselves, that they deserve death and all the horrible things that come with addiction.

I think America prefers shunning them as opposed to actually helping them.

I fully support taxing the hell out of unhealthy food choices and stopping the subsidizes of "crap" food and subsidizing the healthy options. I've yet to hear a single valid argument from anyone as to why subsidizing poor food choices is better than doing so for healthy food choices.

#24 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:13 AM

Yea, that won't happen. America prefers to shame and blame those with addiction than actually help them. They think they did it to themselves, that they deserve death and all the horrible things that come with addiction.

I think America prefers shunning them as opposed to actually helping them.

I fully support taxing the hell out of unhealthy food choices and stopping the subsidizes of "crap" food and subsidizing the healthy options. I've yet to hear a single valid argument from anyone as to why subsidizing poor food choices is better than doing so for healthy food choices.

Yeah, I was running on the assumption that none of this would ever happen at a national level in America. :p

#25 w0nderwall

w0nderwall
  • 568 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 November 2014 - 07:08 AM

A 10% tax won't help with cutting obesity or health problens imo, they'll just continue chugging while shelling out extra cash to do so. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: merica, soda tax, sin tax, coke, soda, pop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users