• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#51 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:36 AM

Wasn't sure that one liner was open for interpretation.

Okay @ Frizzle , let's go read on Taylor Swift and question everything we know about her shittiness because we are not 'educated' enough to post about her.

You misinterpreted a very straightforward sentence that stated you should be educated on a topic before making a snide remark. You should especially be educated on the topic when that topic is another person. 

I'd say Frizzle should take the time read up on her since he said she can't even play a musical instrument. There's a fantastic idea in debate that revolves around losing your credibility the moment you make a rude comment or an incorrect argument. 

#52 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:38 AM

You misinterpreted a very straightforward sentence that stated you should be educated on a topic before making a snide remark. You should especially be educated on the topic when that topic is another person. 

I'd say Frizzle should take the time read up on her since he said she can't even play a musical instrument. There's a fantastic idea in debate that revolves around losing your credibility the moment you make a rude comment or an incorrect argument. 

That doesn't sound like 'an incorrect argument', that sounds like an opinion.

#53 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:42 AM

Wasn't sure that one liner was open for interpretation.

Okay @ Frizzle , let's go read on Taylor Swift and question everything we know about her shittiness because we are not 'educated' enough to post about her.

Also, in all seriousness, this debate was about Spotify and her relation to it. In all fairness, I don't think us not knowing about all her achievements that you went on about is at all relevant to the topic. So I was under the impression that as long as you know the general idea of her and what Spotify is, you are fully qualified to post in this topic, preferably without a teenage girl getting upset with you.

Yes please do read about her and tell me what is shitty about her at all. Are you serious? Where did you come from? 

"he group praised Swift, 23, for being the youngest person ever to receive the Ripple of Hope Award from the Robert F. Kennedy Center for her charity work, for donating $4 million to the Country Hall of Fame Museum, and for her work with children who have cancer." 

SO SHITTY SO SO SHITTY ENJOY THAT QUOTE

Either way, she's already a millionaire. Seems a bit greedy to be already be making a ton of money and then not make as much as you want to from a free streaming service that gives 70% of its profits back to the music industry and say, "Wah. I don't get enough. I'm taking my music off of here." 

She said she made $500,000 from them in the past year. Even if Spotify isn't telling the truth, how is $500,000 a bad thing? She didn't have a new album out. It's not crazy to think that when you don't have any new music coming out then you probably won't make as much money as you would when you do. 

I don't think there's a cap on stuff like this and I find some of this inherently sexist, honestly. It's the same shit as people saying that just because women make .96 to ever 1.00 that a man makes it isn't THAT big of a gap so we should just accept it. No equality is equality and fair pay is fair pay. If I were an artist who produced music and artwork I would want the most revenue I could get from it.

You don't need to have your music streaming on tons of services when there are so many. Other streaming services pay out more because really why should they have a large cut at all!?! They're not doing anything revolutionary.

If this were other forms of artwork I would NEVER expect a famous artist who paints masterpieces to take less for their work than they can get.

I would NEVER expect a regular Joe to get 30$/hour for his welding work when he can maximize his earnings by working at another shop and recieving 36$/hour. People are just mad because she's making millions while the average person can't break 50k a year. BOOHOO. Let's rip on a woman who is savvy enough to maximize her earnings. 

Saying someone can't play an instrument.

Said person can play instrument.

Incorrect argument.

Thank you for playing.

#54 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:42 AM

At the age of nine, Swift became interested in musical theatre. She performed in many Berks Youth Theatre Academy productions and traveled regularly to Broadway for vocal and acting lessons.[19][20] Swift then turned her attention to country music; Shania Twain's songs made her "want to just run around the block four times and daydream about everything."[21] She spent her weekends performing at local festivals, fairs, coffeehouses, karaoke contests, garden clubs, Boy Scout meetings and sporting events.[6][7][22] At the age of eleven, after many failed attempts,[23] Swift won a local talent competition by singing a rendition of LeAnn Rimes's "Big Deal", and was given the opportunity to appear as the opening act for Charlie Daniels at a Strausstown amphitheater.[19] This growing ambition began to isolate Swift from her middle school peers.[5]

After watching a Behind the Music episode about Faith Hill, Swift felt sure that she needed to go to Nashville, Tennessee to pursue a music career.[24] At the age of eleven, she traveled with her mother to Nashville for spring break to leave a demo of Dolly Parton and Dixie Chicks karaoke covers with record labels along Music Row.[25] She received label rejections and realized that "everyone in that town wanted to do what I wanted to do. So, I kept thinking to myself, I need to figure out a way to be different."[26] At the age of twelve, Swift was shown by a computer repairman how to play three chords on a guitar, inspiring her to write her first song, "Lucky You".[27] She had previously won a national poetry contest with a poem titled "Monster in My Closet" but now began to focus on songwriting.[28] 

Bonus Points: 5s google search of "Taylor Swift guitar" where you can see her holding a guitar and playing acoustic versions of her songs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=taylor+swift&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS603US603&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=qCJmVOrCAomMsQTaqoKADA&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAw&biw=1366&bih=705#tbm=isch&q=taylor+swift+guitar

Honestly I expect both of you are the type of people who hate Rothko for being famous for painting boxes of color.

Edited by rwmurrayVT, 14 November 2014 - 07:53 AM.

#55 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:44 AM

At the age of nine, Swift became interested in musical theatre. She performed in many Berks Youth Theatre Academy productions and traveled regularly to Broadway for vocal and acting lessons.[19][20] Swift then turned her attention to country music; Shania Twain's songs made her "want to just run around the block four times and daydream about everything."[21] She spent her weekends performing at local festivals, fairs, coffeehouses, karaoke contests, garden clubs, Boy Scout meetings and sporting events.[6][7][22] At the age of eleven, after many failed attempts,[23] Swift won a local talent competition by singing a rendition of LeAnn Rimes's "Big Deal", and was given the opportunity to appear as the opening act for Charlie Daniels at a Strausstown amphitheater.[19] This growing ambition began to isolate Swift from her middle school peers.[5]

After watching a Behind the Music episode about Faith Hill, Swift felt sure that she needed to go to Nashville, Tennessee to pursue a music career.[24] At the age of eleven, she traveled with her mother to Nashville for spring break to leave a demo of Dolly Parton and Dixie Chicks karaoke covers with record labels along Music Row.[25] She received label rejections and realized that "everyone in that town wanted to do what I wanted to do. So, I kept thinking to myself, I need to figure out a way to be different."[26] At the age of twelve, Swift was shown by a computer repairman how to play three chords on a guitar, inspiring her to write her first song, "Lucky You".[27] She had previously won a national poetry contest with a poem titled "Monster in My Closet" but now began to focus on songwriting.[28] 

Bonus Points: 5s google search of "Taylor Swift guitar" where you can see her holding a guitar and playing acoustic versions of her songs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=taylor+swift&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS603US603&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=qCJmVOrCAomMsQTaqoKADA&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAw&biw=1366&bih=705#tbm=isch&q=taylor+swift+guitar

Honestly I expect both of you are the type of people who hate Rothko for being famous for painting boxes of color.

Cool story

#56 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Yes please do read about her and tell me what is shitty about her at all. Are you serious? Where did you come from? 

"he group praised Swift, 23, for being the youngest person ever to receive the Ripple of Hope Award from the Robert F. Kennedy Center for her charity work, for donating $4 million to the Country Hall of Fame Museum, and for her work with children who have cancer." 

SO SHITTY SO SO SHITTY ENJOY THAT QUOTE

Are you having a stroke?

You both are asking us to leave because you don't agree with our opinion. Is that the debate section? Calling everyone who disagrees with you uneducated and .. asking where I come from (what the fuck does that even mean?), and asking us to leave and come back after we've agreed with you? 

Not everyone you meet in your life will like the pop sensations you do. I don't think it's a reason to freak your shit.

#57 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Let's be real, do any of us really, truly know Taylor Swift? What are her hopes and dreams? What's her favorite color? What does she dislike? Can she really sing as well as she can in her music or is it edited? How much money does Spotify really pay her? Who will her next boyfriend be?

This isn't a fight about who knows more about Taylor Swift. Move on and stop ganging up on people, please.

#58 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:49 AM

Are you having a stroke?

You both are asking us to leave because you don't agree with our opinion. Is that the debate section? Calling everyone who disagrees with you uneducated and .. asking where I come from (what the fuck does that even mean?), and asking us to leave and come back after we've agreed with you? 

Not everyone you meet in your life will like the pop sensations you do. I don't think it's a reason to freak your shit.

I didn't ask you to leave at all. You're calling the woman shitty when there is nothing wrong with her at all. If you don't enjoy her art that's cool, but that doesn't make her shitty.

Cool story

Our Lead Moderator everyone.

#59 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:51 AM

I didn't ask you to leave at all. You're calling the woman shitty when there is nothing wrong with her at all. If you don't enjoy her art that's cool, but that doesn't make her shitty.

Our Lead Moderator everyone.

You posted in white text that wasn't legible. It was a joke. Don't have a rack attack.

#60 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:51 AM

For fear of giving more teenage girls strokes, I won't debate about Taylor Swift's shittiness anymore.

#61 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:52 AM

Are you having a stroke?

Yes I am having a stroke. Lord take me. Please.

An opinion is a personal preference. If you don't know about something you are uneducated about it. It is fine to be uneducated about things but then don't argue about them. I would personally prefer to be considered an idiot on a matter than to open my mouth and remove all doubt. That is also an opinion.

I didn't ask you to agree. I ask you to read up on someone if you want to talk about them instead of forming opinions on things people have heard or by going the route of calling someone a sellout.

This would be like me calling Einstein an idiot and just saying it's an opinion when by every manner he was considered not an idiot.

Should listening to music be free - Peoples personal feelings on that is an opinion. Much like a belief that one flavour of ice cream is better than another.

What is not an opinion is facts. 

#62 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:53 AM

You posted in white text that wasn't legible. It was a joke. Don't have a rack attack.

Wait wut. It was a weird color on my nightmode so I changed it. 

#63 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:56 AM

Wait wut. It was a weird color on my nightmode so I changed it. 

Oh, it's showing up white for others lol 

#64 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:59 AM

For fear of giving more teenage girls strokes, I won't debate about Taylor Swift's shittiness anymore.

Your entire argument revolves around her being shitty for wanting compensation for her work. Sorry, not everyone wants to live in a communist circlejerk of salary caps. Her music has value. She spent time making it and there are millions of people who enjoy it. If you want to enjoy art you pay for it. If you don't like her work then don't buy it and don't listen to it.

Oh, it's showing up white for others lol 

I just fixed it. 

#65 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:16 AM

I'm late to the party, but for what it's worth I'll share my thoughts. 

It's her music, if she doesn't want it on there then remove it, I respect that. As others have said, you can still download illegally, listen to YouTube, or God forbid support her and/or any other artist who's music you enjoy. If I were a musician as my sole form of income, I would do all I could to ensure I was making the most amount of money possible.

I'm not a Taylor Swift fan, I don't use Spotify or Pandora. If I truly like an artist, I will buy the album. If it's something I just enjoy listening to from time to time, I will usually illegally download, and lastly, if I just wish to hear a random song, I will go to YouTube and if I don't find it there I am just SOL.

tl;dr: No, simply listening to music shouldn't be free. 

Edited by talbs, 14 November 2014 - 08:17 AM.

#66 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:19 AM

Ah, yes, unfortunately for me we do, supporting myself at 17 with two jobs. Really unfortunate for me.

What I said was a bit more Liberal in the sense that there should be caps on her salary and the rest should be taxed to help things like our damn healthcare system or those in need of financial aid. If you want to be sarcastic and argue about that, you are absolutely not In the right topic and this is no longer about Spotify.

I can't be damned to figure out how to quote on my phone, but yes, Padme. I was still talking about her being money hungry. Is that talking about her quality of music in any way? I think I'm losing brain cells arguing with you two. Its as if you're on a rampage arguing with anyone who you think opposes her. I really promise you guys I meant no underlying message in my post lol. I really do think she is money hungry and I was not talking about her quality in music.

#67 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:36 AM

Please buy my music guys :'''(( I ran out of money to wipe my tears :'(

tumblr_ma3e6tSrKD1qdjocco1_250.png

#68 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:37 AM

Ah, yes, unfortunately for me we do, supporting myself at 17 with two jobs. Really unfortunate for me.

What I said was a bit more Liberal in the sense that there should be caps on her salary and the rest should be taxed to help things like our damn healthcare system or those in need of financial aid. If you want to be sarcastic and argue about that, you are absolutely not In the right topic and this is no longer about Spotify.

She does pay taxes on her income. In effect in the same manner you're describing. Her income is taxed at a higher percentage beyond a certain point. Issues with the tax code don't impact the fact that you both deserve compensation for work.

#69 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:47 AM

She does pay taxes on her income. In effect in the same manner you're describing. Her income is taxed at a higher percentage beyond a certain point. Issues with the tax code don't impact the fact that you both deserve compensation for work.

I'm so immensely happy that you have learned to be on topic. I know that taxes exist, I just think she should be taxed more, and have a cap at one point. If Spotify (or whatever else) is using her copyrighted music without permission or not paying her what she wants and continues to use it, then they are in the wrong. But I'm guessing that she makes more than the amount of money that I believe she should be capped at, so this fight between her and Spotify is moot in my head.

#70 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:52 AM

I'm so immensely happy that you have learned to be on topic. I know that taxes exist, I just think she should be taxed more, and have a cap at one point. If Spotify (or whatever else) is using her copyrighted music without permission or not paying her what she wants and continues to use it, then they are in the wrong. But I'm guessing that she makes more than the amount of money that I believe she should be capped at, so this fight between her and Spotify is moot in my head.

Okay Rykov. That's an ideological war that I shouldn't bother to touch.

#71 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:15 AM

Nah, I don't spend 60 grand per year in music school so any fucker can listen to my music for free.

#72 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:17 AM

Nah, I don't spend 60 grand per year in music school so any fucker can listen to my music for free.

Yes, but I doubt you're also currently a millionaire and you would probably need that money. I have sympathy for artists who are not well known and want to make money off of their music. I hardly have any sympathy for artists who are millionaires and whining because they don't make as much as they want to. 

#73 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:20 AM

Yes, but I doubt you're also currently a millionaire and you would probably need that money. I have sympathy for artists who are not well known and want to make money off of their music. I hardly have any sympathy for artists who are millionaires and whining because they don't make as much as they want to. 

I don't think the Spotify decision was really her decision to make. The label is for sale and they're trying to showcase how well they can profiteer their top artists.

#74 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:32 AM

It's not our place to determine how much money others need or deserve. People like Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, etc. worked for what they have, and to say they don't need it or they are already rich enough is just silly. This is America (where myself and Ms. Swift are at least) and what I've been told my whole life is that money makes the world go around, and I've been endlessly pursuing it since.

Edited by talbs, 14 November 2014 - 09:32 AM.

#75 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:33 AM

Okay Rykov. That's an ideological war that I shouldn't bother to touch.

Then why come in to this topic? A topic about Swift charging money for her music. To debate about her quality of music?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users