• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#101 Dazz

Dazz
  • Musicyclopedia

• 3242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:55 PM

To be fair tho "It fascinates me and infuriates me that people are more willing to sit in a coffee shop and spend £10 on 2 coffees, and talk about the weather to their friends. And that coffee will last 45 minutes. Yet they will get physically angry at you if you ask them to buy your music. People spend money on nonsence like shit apps, and spend £500 odd quid on games for consoles. D'you know how much music you could buy for £500 quid? I don't know my maths is shit but it's a lot of fuckin' music"

I agree with this to an extent, but i find a lot of albums are like 5 decent songs and the rest is shit. And i aint buying a whole album for 5 songs that i like. If an album is mostly good tunes tho i'll pay but its very rare.

#102 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:56 PM

To be fair tho "It fascinates me and infuriates me that people are more willing to sit in a coffee shop and spend £10 on 2 coffees, and talk about the weather to their friends. And that coffee will last 45 minutes. Yet they will get physically angry at you if you ask them to buy your music. People spend money on nonsence like shit apps, and spend £500 odd quid on games for consoles. D'you know how much music you could buy for £500 quid? I don't know my maths is shit but it's a lot of fuckin' music"

I agree with this to an extent, but i find a lot of albums are like 5 decent songs and the rest is shit. And i aint buying a whole album for 5 songs that i like. If an album is mostly good tunes tho i'll pay but its very rare.

Believe it or not the sell most by the song O_o

#103 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:57 PM

Since when did music become about the money? Wasn't there a time when people actually enjoyed making it and wanted to make people happy rather than suck up as much money as they could from it?  :rolleyes:

If you put a lot of time, effort and love into something and want to sell it so then others can enjoy it then I don't see why you shouldn't be able to :0 I mean, people already do this with other forms of entertainment like art, movies, video games, novels, all that sorta stuff. You gotta pay for your bills and rent somehow. I don't get how people can manage to have a "regular" job on top of doing major music/art/etc projects since those things take up so much of your time and energy.

Like okay huge artists like Taylor Swift and Nicki Minaj don't really have the same financial struggles as like indie artists, but no matter how much money they make the music they created is still theirs and where it goes is completely up to them. If they don't want it somewhere (no matter how stupid the reason is) then it shouldn't be there.

#104 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:04 PM

Have y'all seen David Grohl's take on this?

enhanced-14933-1415984505-11.jpg

#105 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:05 PM

If you put a lot of time, effort and love into something and want to sell it so then others can enjoy it then I don't see why you shouldn't be able to :0 I mean, people already do this with other forms of entertainment like art, movies, video games, novels, all that sorta stuff. You gotta pay for your bills and rent somehow. I don't get how people can manage to have a "regular" job on top of doing major music/art/etc projects since those things take up so much of your time and energy.

Like okay huge artists like Taylor Swift and Nicki Minaj don't really have the same financial struggles as like indie artists, but no matter how much money they make the music they created is still theirs and where it goes is completely up to them. If they don't want it somewhere (no matter how stupid the reason is) then it shouldn't be there.

Like I said in a previous post, I can sympathize with lesser known artists. I don't sympathize with artists who are millionaires and get mad because they're not sucking every last cent from their music. Sorry, but that just seems greedy to me. I don't care if they make money or don't want their music to be on Spotify but don't whine when you're already making millions upon millions of dollars and you just want more. 

Dave Grohl about Spotify: 

"Me personally? I don't f**king care. That's just me, because I'm playing two nights at Wembley next summer," said Grohl.

"I want people to hear our music, I don't care if you pay $1 or f**king $20 for it, just listen to the f**king song. But I can understand how other people would object to that."

Awkward simultaneous post. 

#106 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:06 PM

Like I said in a previous post, I can sympathize with lesser known artists. I don't sympathize with artists who are millionaires and get mad because they're not sucking every last cent from their music. Sorry, but that just seems greedy to me. I don't care if they make money or don't want their music to be on Spotify but don't whine when you're already making millions upon millions of dollars and you just want more. 

Dave Grohl about Spotify: 

Awkward simultaneous post. 

I almost chose the picture with your quote, and went with the other one at the last second. Still relevant. Just go with it.

#107 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:12 PM

I'm an engineer. Should be goal be to provide high quality airplanes, vehicles, and other products regardless of my products use/sales? If my intellectual property is stolen or infringed upon I should just accept it if I have above a certain threshold of income? 

I mean, I hope your goal is to create and/or enhance existing technology to benefit the population. Your second sentence is not really applicable, and here's why: the intellectual property you come up with (formulas, designs, etc) can be stolen and used by others for profit. If someone infringes on your copyright you should definitely be upset and seek reparations. If I "steal" Taylor's song (and I don't see it that way) I'm not profiting off of it. It's for my own personal enjoyment. I can't re-release the song and pretend it's my own, like someone might be able to do with your work. Even if I did, I'd be caught and punished. 

#108 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:17 PM

Sure but ehh.... All I'm saying is if you create something and you don't want it on a specific site/service and it gets put there, even if it's a stupid or greedy reason, whether you're a small or huge artist, you have every right to ask for it to be taken off. If I made an image and it got posted on some site which I didn't want it to be on, even if I got money per I dunno view or something, then I should be able to ask the person who posted it to take it down. You made it so you decide where it goes and where it doesn't.

#109 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:19 PM

I have some tough news for you, bud...

The tough news you've yet to furnish won't refute my claim. It doesn't have to be limited to those two. How about Howard Schultz, Mark Cuban, Oprah Winfrey, Jeff Bezos, Larry Ellison, etc.?

Edited by talbs, 14 November 2014 - 01:23 PM.

#110 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:39 PM

Oh, that's rich considering most of the singers whining about what they "deserve" are millionaire pre-packaged pop singers who all sound the same. 

Since when are they not allowed to do what they want with the fruits of their labor?

It's not like you wanna pay for their music or anything....

#111 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:40 PM

Since when are they not allowed to do what they want with the fruits of their labor?

It's not like you wanna pay for their music or anything....

Like I have said multiple times, I don't care what they do. I just don't want to hear millionaires whining about how they're not getting more money. 

#112 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:42 PM

If I "steal" Taylor's song (and I don't see it that way) I'm not profiting off of it. It's for my own personal enjoyment. 

If you walk into a store and take a candy bar without paying for it are you stealing?

Why should music be viewed any differently?

Like I have said multiple times, I don't care what they do. I just don't want to hear millionaires whining about how they're not getting more money. 

Does having money disqualify them from profiting from their own work?

#113 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:43 PM

If you walk into a store and take a candy bar without paying for it are you stealing?

Did I say that? Profit away. Stop whining when you make $1m instead of $2m. End of story. 

#114 DonValentino

DonValentino

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:54 PM

Good point. But there's still a difference to me. Lets say I steal a Milky Way bar. Does me stealing this item hurt Mars (the company that makes it)? No, it's barely noticeable. But it does hurt the corner store on my block a little bit more, and that's why I wouldn't do it (often, anyway). If I torrent her new CD, the corner store on my block has turned into the record label/music industry, who I feel significantly less worse about hurting (in a barely noticeable way). 

#115 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:54 PM

Theft needs appropriation of property, since you're downloading of streaming something, no property is permanently deprived from the original owner.

#116 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:08 PM

If I torrent her new CD, the corner store on my block has turned into the record label/music industry, who I feel significantly less worse about hurting (in a barely noticeable way).

Why?

Sorry, but this is the only thing I can think of.
Spoiler

I don't download music or movies or anything illegally. (I do have an Amazon Prime account though, and use their perk of 'free' music frequently, and take advantage of Google Play store's free weekly albums.)

#117 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:40 PM

Did I say that? Profit away. Stop whining when you make $1m instead of $2m. End of story. 

So maximizing their potential profit from their hard work?

Good point. But there's still a difference to me. Lets say I steal a Milky Way bar. Does me stealing this item hurt Mars (the company that makes it)? No, it's barely noticeable. But it does hurt the corner store on my block a little bit more, and that's why I wouldn't do it (often, anyway). If I torrent her new CD, the corner store on my block has turned into the record label/music industry, who I feel significantly less worse about hurting (in a barely noticeable way). 

No. You're just stealing from the people who worked on the audio, album cover designers, vocal coaches etc...

Theft needs appropriation of property, since you're downloading of streaming something, no property is permanently deprived from the original owner.

So taking any digital good(game, CD, program) is not considered theft?

#118 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:49 PM

No.

#119 DonValentino

DonValentino

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:58 PM

No. You're just stealing from the people who worked on the audio, album cover designers, vocal coaches etc...

Nah I'm not, those people don't lose any money if a cd is stolen. They have their wages and those are set. 

#120 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:00 PM

ITT: People who don't create things arguing that people who do should give it away for free.

#121 DonValentino

DonValentino

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:05 PM

ITT: People who don't create things arguing that people who do should give it away for free.

I don't think anyone is arguing that, but good effort. 

#122 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:09 PM

No.

Yes it is. 

http://en.wikipedia....ent_Act_of_1999

http://www.fbi.gov/a..._collar/ipr/ipr

http://www.legislati...k/ukpga/1968/60

Edited by rwmurrayVT, 14 November 2014 - 03:11 PM.

#123 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:10 PM

I don't think anyone is arguing that, but good effort.

Yes, sorry, my mistake - your argument was "Stealing is OK as long as it's from someone I don't like"  :rolleyes: 

If I torrent her new CD, the corner store on my block has turned into the record label/music industry, who I feel significantly less worse about hurting (in a barely noticeable way).

#124 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:12 PM

So maximizing their potential profit from their hard work?

Maximize all you want. Stop whining about the money you're not making when you're sitting in a mansion. Go ahead, take your music off of Spotify. I don't care but, like I said, the company gives 70% of their profits back to the music industry and when you whine about not making more money from them, then I think it makes you look bad. There are plenty of artists who are millionaires and don't sit around insulting the companies that are actually bringing more awareness to their music. I'm sorry, but I'm not the type of person to appreciate someone who is rich as hell complaining about how they're not any richer lol 

#125 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:13 PM

Yes, sorry, my mistake - your argument was "Stealing is OK as long as it's from someone I don't like"  :rolleyes: 

It's not just from someone I don't like. It's from anyone who has enough money that they won't notice. ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users