• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#176 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:22 PM

Hmmm.... Do western/big-name artists release samples of their albums before they're available? Do music stores have those little booths where you can put the headphones on and listen to the album and shit anymore? Elin brought it up earlier and I haven't seen them in a while.... But pretty much every indie artist in Japan puts up samples of their albums up on Soundcloud/Youtube and other video sites/sample mp3s to download from their site before selling anything o.o It's incredibly handy!!

They have samples on iTunes but I feel like when I just listen to a snippet of a song I hate it, I have to be able to hear the whole thing.

#177 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:39 PM

They have samples on iTunes but I feel like when I just listen to a snippet of a song I hate it, I have to be able to hear the whole thing.

Ahhh okay!! That's good to know, thanks for clearing that up for me. Yeah I know how you feel, and like sometimes the sample sounds fantastic but when you listen to the whole thing it isn't all that great :x I bought an album because the samples sounded amazing and it wasn't uploaded anywhere so I couldn't check it out first and I mean the album is alright but.... I mostly only listen to one or two of the songs on it. At least it was cheap lmao

#178 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:21 PM

Ahh the perils and elitism of the upper middle class.

(Also, attending a uni doesn't make you intelligent but congrats for thinking that)

If you would like I can show you my entire history of academic performance and achievements. I think attending a highly selective and major research institution in one of the most selective and highly ranked programs does in fact mean you have some level of intellect. You act like I just waltzed into Virginia Tech and survived four years of e-school and research.

#179 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:22 PM

If you would like I can show you my entire history of academic performance and achievements. I think attending a highly selective and major research institution in one of the most selective and highly ranked programs does in fact mean you have some level of intellect. You act like I just waltzed into Virginia Tech and survived four years of e-school and research.

This really isn't relevant to the argument here, is it? 

#180 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:24 PM

This really isn't relevant to the argument here, is it? 

It is when people have continuously insulted my level of intellect and education. I might as well just say "working in a bar every night and reading philosophy books doesn't make you intellectual but congrats for thinking that.".

#181 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:28 PM

It is when people have continuously insulted my level of intellect and education. I might as well just say "working in a bar every night and reading philosophy books doesn't make you intellectual but congrats for thinking that.".

I'll keep that in mind whenever I think of Taylor Swift not sampling her music. 

#182 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:38 PM

I don't remember anyone mentioning working in a bar every night and reading philosophy books.

Anyway, if it's such an issue for you to prove that doing well in school means you're intelligent then go here: http://www.neocodex....uccess-in-life/

#183 Tirasa

Tirasa
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:13 PM

Garbage-tier pop artists like Taylor Swift don't even get my free streaming attention, but I do wonder if it's a cultural thing. I don't pay for music; if I like a song, I'll go legitimately purchase it as a means of showing respect, but I won't pay initially just to hear it.

#184 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:36 PM

I don't remember anyone mentioning working in a bar every night and reading philosophy books.

Anyway, if it's such an issue for you to prove that doing well in school means you're intelligent then go here: http://www.neocodex....uccess-in-life/

Your 'friend' shouldn't attack my intellectual capabilities in a debate thread if he doesn't want it to become relevant to the discussion. If he wants to discuss how my enrollment in university doesn't equate to intellect I can bring up that his employment as a late night bar cleaner doesn't equate to intellect. 

#185 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:39 PM

Your 'friend' shouldn't attack my intellectual capabilities in a debate thread if he doesn't want it to become relevant to the discussion. If he wants to discuss how my enrollment in university doesn't equate to intellect I can bring up that his employment as a late night bar cleaner doesn't equate to intellect. 

Just because something is brought up, it doesn't make it automatically relevant to the topic. This is Emily's thread, and she's asking you to stop being socially dysfunctional and ruining it.

#186 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:49 PM

It's almost like you're saying you don't have control over yourself once someone questions your intellect. I'm not saying that you had to be the better person by letting that comment slide as if nothing happened, but there are better alternatives than the ones you chose today. You could have reported that comment than continuing as you were, or even bring it up to the person in question in a private message and get it over with there than justifying yourself in front of everyone, who in reality only wants to analyze Taylor Swift's decision and the marketing implications rather than your grades. Good for you having having great grades, btw :D

#187 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:51 PM

Who are you talking about? No one here is a 'late night bar cleaner.' Even if they were, some of the smartest people can be found in surprising places. The person who cures some deadly disease could be living in poverty right now or getting horrible grades because they're bored in school. A future Nobel Peace Prize winner could be picking up trash off the street.  Just because you go to a nice school and get nice grades doesn't mean you have any sort of intelligence at all. Hate to break it to you but intelligence isn't measured by class grades or test grades. 

Now if you want to keep talking about this please move to the other thread. 

#188 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:55 PM

It's almost like you're saying you don't have control over yourself once someone questions your intellect. I'm not saying that you had to be the better person by letting that comment slide as if nothing happened, but there are better alternatives than the ones you chose today. You could have reported that comment than continuing as you were, or even bring it up to the person in question in a private message and get it over with there than justifying yourself in front of everyone, who in reality only wants to analyze Taylor Swift's decision and the marketing implications rather than your grades. Good for you having having great grades, btw :D

My grades are terrible and I left the BS-MS Mechanical Engineering program. 

#189 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:57 PM

Can we go back to a time before this was a "I need validation in regards to the way I live my life and the level of education I have received" thread?

#190 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:01 PM

Too much hate in a thread. Now I have to read everything.

Edit: not worth it.

Edited by Swarley, 15 November 2014 - 04:58 PM.

#191 CaptainDantes

CaptainDantes
  • 1104 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:16 PM

Too much hate in a thread. Now I have to read everything.

HA

Personally I understand where Ms. Swift is coming from. From what I've read, artists are not making the money that they used to and I think that it's because of the music sharing community. However, spotify is a different animal. I've never used it before, but I believe you don't have to release all your songs to spotify if you don't want to. You can give people a taste so that they want to go and buy your other songs. Isn't it like the radio? Or do I have the wrong idea of what spotify is?

#192 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:12 PM

Artists always made more money from touring and merch sales than they ever did from selling albums and Taylor Swift consistently has the top selling tours in the country so it's not like these streaming services are sending her spiraling into poverty.

#193 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:23 PM

Hey, when someone questions my intellect in a forum debate, I don't make a huge deal about it most of the time. It's pretty counterproductive when a debate devolves into a pissing contest. Don't hate pls :)

Nitro, acting as the voice of reason...

Spoiler

Just when you think it's been a while since we've had a thread totally devolve into a minefield of ad hominems ... wait, what am I saying?  :whistling:

#194 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:56 PM

Spoiler

You ruined it.

+rep

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users